Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Radiators! what options are there outside of Mountune and Mishi?

Hi ya'll, I am posting because i've had trouble finding clear and objective information on which other Aftermarket upgraded radiator options there are.

I was wondering if anyone uses brands that aren't Mishimoto or Mountune, how much they cost, how they perform vs stock, what kind of temperatures/humidity you deal with in your area, are they single, dual or triple pass?

I apologize in advance if this specific question is already posted but I could not seem to find a clear thread on it. Just a lot of talk about overheating and upgrading to Mountune or Mishimoto.

Brianmc27

There’s a dual pass unit on ebay I believe. It’s not as good as the Mountune or Mishi, but some have installed with issue.

GPI or something is the brand.

But yeah, waiting on details from Whoosh about their offering. It’ll be a dual pass, I know that.

I think the main reason other brands aren't used is because there really aren't any other options. I'm sure some eBay models exist, but most people would rather pay the additional $100 or so for something proven over an eBay part, especially when it's a crucial cooling component. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
DirtyChalupa
Thread Starter #5
I believe @ron@whoosh is coming out with a radiator soon. which would be the 3rd option to the others you've mentioned.
Yeah, I've heard and read about it and have seen the post on FB but idk how long that will take, I'd much rather support/buy whoosh brand but who knows when that will be available to the public. I commented that I was willing to test one since I live in Tucson, AZ and it gets really hot but there are hundreds of people commenting, "pick me" lol.

I do a lot of hard back road drives, I love climbing up Mt. Lemmon and doing passes on Gates Pass, as well as other hilly, twisty roads. So I want something that can handle the summer heat here that is a good compromise between functionality and price. Also the Mishimoto is super thick, my friend and I had to remove the whole front to work on his car because of the radiator and fan are so fat together.

Brianmc27

Yeah, I've heard and read about it and have seen the post on FB but idk how long that will take, I'd much rather support/buy whoosh brand but who knows when that will be available to the public. I commented that I was willing to test one since I live in Tucson, AZ and it gets really hot but there are hundreds of people commenting, "pick me" lol.

I do a lot of hard back road drives, I love climbing up Mt. Lemmon and doing passes on Gates Pass, as well as other hilly, twisty roads. So I want something that can handle the summer heat here that is a good compromise between functionality and price. Also the Mishimoto is super thick, my friend and I had to remove the whole front to work on his car because of the radiator and fan are so fat together.
Well if it’s anything like his exhaust that’s been teased for the last 18 months or so, I’d say we’ve got a couple years before his radiator is ready.

OP
DirtyChalupa
Thread Starter #7
There’s a dual pass unit on ebay I believe. It’s not as good as the Mountune or Mishi, but some have installed with issue.

GPI or something is the brand.

But yeah, waiting on details from Whoosh about their offering. It’ll be a dual pass, I know that.
I'm gonna check that out since I also hear that triple pass radiators are bad on the water pump, more volume to push= more stress. Also, did you mean, "installed without issue" or what you said?

OP
DirtyChalupa
Thread Starter #8
Well if it’s anything like his exhaust that’s been teased for the last 18 months or so, I’d say we’ve got a couple years before his radiator is ready.
Lol, been waiting on that as well. The whoosh brand stuff he brings to market seem to hit the perfect middle ground of cost to value and I like that, but like you said, who knows how long that will be.

Brianmc27

I'm gonna check that out since I also hear that triple pass radiators are bad on the water pump, more volume to push= more stress. Also, did you mean, "installed without issue" or what you said?
Good catch - “without” is what I meant. I’ll edit.

Though the unit does look lower quality. I believe user DanBFree installed the ebay one of you want to look it up.

OP
DirtyChalupa
Thread Starter #10
Good catch - “without” is what I meant. I’ll edit.

Though the unit does look lower quality. I believe user DanBFree installed the ebay one of you want to look it up.
Cool, I'll look it up, maybe ask him some questions if they're not already answered in his thread.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Lol, been waiting on that as well. The whoosh brand stuff he brings to market seem to hit the perfect middle ground of cost to value and I like that, but like you said, who knows how long that will be.
That is some of the marketing which Ron uses to push the other already on the market choice, which no one ever mentions, or suggests (I'm guessing due to it's exorbitant price? [dunno]), the PRO ALLOY one out of jolly ol' England.

He has explicitly told me that being a large SINGLE PASS unit (like the stocker in that respect) that it is MUCH MUCH easier on the water pump (while still cooling many times better than the factory unit) than the double/triple pass radiators out there.
Unless Mountune drops the price on a Black Friday sale down to like $375.00 or less, I am currently saving up for the Pro Alloy. [wink]

(But I DO wish that anyone on here who has installed one of these would chime in with some feedback on how it has performed for them under severe stress.)

OP
DirtyChalupa
Thread Starter #12
That is some of the marketing which Ron uses to push the other already on the market choice, which no one ever mentions, or suggests (I'm guessing due to it's exorbitant price? [dunno]), the PRO ALLOY one out of jolly ol' England.

He has explicitly told me that being a large SINGLE PASS unit (like the stocker in that respect) that it is MUCH MUCH easier on the water pump (while still cooling many times better than the factory unit) than the double/triple pass radiators out there.
Unless Mountune drops the price on a Black Friday sale down to like $375.00 or less, I am currently saving up for the Pro Alloy. [wink]

(But I DO wish that anyone on here who has installed one of these would chime in with some feedback on how it has performed for them under severe stress.)
Idk what your usage is but like you stated, it has an exorbitant price.

Im trying to find a good middle ground between everyday performance in a very hot climate, with some high speed canyon runs a few times a week and cost.

I'm not rallying the car or driving it at the limit on a track for hours on end. I'm trying to build a car I can drive everyday, work on myself and have some fun with in the mountains here and there.

I don't need the best in the world, I just need something good, reliable that can handle some spirited driving runs every here and there in a place that's spends half the year in 90f+ temps. Ya Know what I mean jelly bean?

Given the general lack of noise on premature water pump failures, I'm inclined to believe that the stock pump is up to the task. Now if it was an electric water pump like VW is so fond of, I'd be a bit more worried.

OP
DirtyChalupa
Thread Starter #15
THIS is the eBay one, it is either an exact clone or unbranded production run of one offered by PumaSpeed UK, which also has a 3 row option that even with shipping ($472 total) are price competitive so not sure why they are not mentioned more...
and this is the one you installed, correct?

OP
DirtyChalupa
Thread Starter #17
Dan appears to never have installed his, the other guy (draxxis or something) installed they ebay unit.
ohhhhhhhh.... lol. Makes sense now. I was confused with his reply on the other post.

THIS is the eBay one, it is either an exact clone or unbranded production run of one offered by PumaSpeed UK, which also has a 3 row option that even with shipping ($472 total) are price competitive so not sure why they are not mentioned more...
Nevermind on my question, sorry to bother you dude. lol.

OP
DirtyChalupa
Thread Starter #18
I guess at this point it's looking like I'm gonna have to deal with the heat this summer, and hope for a sale on Mountune this autumn or hope that Whoosh comes out with theirs before next summer.

As a last attempt, I'm gonna post to FB to see if anyone there has installed it and see what they tell me about it, if they have any pics of fitment/quality, performance and what not.

thanks for the help, dudes.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account

true and we have 2 Pro Alloy units in stock here
a satin silver with all the options - street oil cooler + 14" fan upgrade
and a plain no option/direct replacement black coated radiator as well

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
That pro alloy unit is very nice and the price is good if one was also planning on doing an oil cooler upgrade as well. If its just the radiator someone wants, 800 is steep. I'm a devoted whoosh customer. I would like to see what Ron's offering looks like. I have never had any overheating issues in socal with my stock unit but I might just be lucky. If a good radiator comes available at a good price ill buy it just for piece of mind.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk