Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Radio file format playback from Flash drive?

The 2018 ST has a touchscreen, and 2 usb plugs.
I presume it can play back MP3 files?
What other files can it play back?

WMA? OGG? FLAC? M4A/AAC?

OP
P
Thread Starter #2
Ok, never mind.
The user manual says: MP3, WMA, WAV and ACC (probably a typo, should be AAC).
It probably plays back WMA10, which is the encoder I used to encode my files (and hope it plays back VBR WMA as well).

WMA VBR Q0 44.1kHz equals about 35-67 kbits of audio, compares to MP3s of 128 to 160, meaning the low compression is good for audio books, while the high one gives near CD audio quality.
Anyway, I'll be testing out some formats, as well as large file size compatibility (my Cruze doesn't play back large files well).

Not sure about all the file formats you list, but on my 2015, I have all my music in WMA format at a 192 bit rate. Went with a higher bit rate as I hate the compressed sound of satellite radio. I have about 8500 song files loaded on 2-32 Gig usb drives. For my 2015, the USB sticks need to be formatted in FAT 32 format. I was not able to get a USB stick larger than 32 Gigs to work, but maybe on the newer models like yours this is no longer a problem. But 565 hours of music is 24 days without a repeat, so I am good with that. Usually random play, but system works perfect with verbal requests as well.

OP
P
Thread Starter #4
The user manual states that it reads both fat32 (32GB disc size limit), NTFS and exFAT.
Perhaps formatting in the other type, will allow you to have larger size discs.
I have about 32GB on radio streamed broadcast DJ mixes of 2 hours each.
The mp3 was encoded in 256 to 320kbits, and took about 200MB per file. The WMA version sounds nearly the same at 75MB per file, with a hint of sizzle in the higher frequencies (cymbals all sound the same), but I don't mind.

I recently converted my library to WMA for storage reasons.
You'd really have to play around with the settings, but WMA10 44.1-48kHz Q0 (VBR), is almost identical to source, and unless you have HiFi equipment, and the original source file to A/B the sound with, you probably won't notice the difference. Especially on a car radio.

I use DSAudio App with my synology disk station. Mostly mp3 192 kbps, I have ~1.5TB of music available anywhere my phone has service. Can download on the fly to my phone if I know ill be out of cell range

OP
P
Thread Starter #6
I tested it, and it actually read all my file formats.
MP3,
OGG,
WMA,
WMA VBR
WAV

and even *surprisingly* the old and outdated ASF format (a format that's like MP3, but for lower quality sound).
Also M4a was played back wonderfully (Apple's format), with the only exception that this format didn't allow me to FF or REW the song.