Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rado Grey 17" Wheel refurb

So like everyone i suspect, my OEM wheels have gone around the valve stems. Not to the point of leaking air but it's only a matter of time. Car only has 50k miles on it and is pretty clean, the only thing letting it down is the wheels.

1. I like the shape of the OEM 17s.
2. I don't like cheap replacement wheels enough to want to spend £600 on them
3. Pro Race 1.2 are out of stock over here now and I don't like them enough to fork out the prices being charged for what stock is left.
4. After Market wheels are for the most part, not powder coated.

So it's refurb time.

I don't want black, that's been done to death. Same goes for 'grey' and i don't want some lairy ass colour that i'll be bored of in 2 weeks time. Plus it's not always good to stand out if you like to drive quickly now and again.

Which brings me to

lamborghini-huracan-lp610-4-white-bianco-bronze-forged-wheels-adv1-rims-f-1170x781.jpg

I realise i can't turn the Fiesta into a Lambo but I really like their Imola Bronze wheel - which a local place can do.

The only issue is prices :(

Standard powder coat colours run me about £280 all in including tyre remove, new valves, TPMS refitted and tyre refit and balance.

Above colour is not a standard one and will run me about £480 all in

Which works out at £120 a wheel all in.

Anyone fancy running their man maths over it and say - JFDI you pu55y :)

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I have never heard of a wheel wearing out and leaking air around the valve stems. So what do you mean by "have gone"?

OP
unclefester
Thread Starter #3
Not sure whether it's a UK thing with the crappy weather but all 4 wheels have 'gone' around the tyre valve area. Only that one location and I suspect it's to do with the interaction between the two metals once water managed to get in. 3 are bad but not losing pressure, one is definitely losing pressure.

Gone - as in the paint has lifted and there is obvious oxidation occurring. From a search of the UK forums, this is not an uncommon thing.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Not sure whether it's a UK thing with the crappy weather but all 4 wheels have 'gone' around the tyre valve area. Only that one location and I suspect it's to do with the interaction between the two metals once water managed to get in. 3 are bad but not losing pressure, one is definitely losing pressure.

Gone - as in the paint has lifted and there is obvious oxidation occurring. From a search of the UK forums, this is not an uncommon thing.
If you're losing pressure at the valve stem, it's probably the valve stem itself that has gone bad. They do wear out over time which is why you generally replace all 4 at each tire change.

OP
unclefester
Thread Starter #5
Either way - i can't do another summer looking at the scabby finish. It will be 4 new valves as a matter of course.

I just need to get my head around the cost of the colour i'd really like vs just a standard powder coat finish :)

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I am curious. Are they using metal valve stems? If so, I guess that's why you see corrosion and leaking. Dissimilar metals, galvanic corrosion. Here the valve stems are rubber. There shouldn't be any good reason for the wheel to be corroding there unless they damaged it during installation of the valve stem.

OP
unclefester
Thread Starter #7
Yup. Metal stems *mutters* think they stopped on the Mk7.5 St200 so ill fit the later ones once the wheels are done.

I think it's only an issue when ham fisted fitters damage the coating in where the valve sits and then its just a matter of time.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Yup. Metal stems *mutters* think they stopped on the Mk7.5 St200 so ill fit the later ones once the wheels are done.

I think it's only an issue when ham fisted fitters damage the coating in where the valve sits and then its just a matter of time.
Yes. Steel or brass valve stems would need something to separate them from the aluminum wheel to prevent corrosion. I'm quite frankly surprised they use metal valve stems. Rubber has been standard here since the 1960s or maybe earlier.

OP
unclefester
Thread Starter #9
I think there's meant to be a grommet between the two surfaces, by the looks it has either perished and fallen out or was never there and it has been tightened down so it is now touching.

It's almost as irritating as people who fit stainless valve caps to valves and then when it comes to removal time, the cap is corroded on tight.

OP
unclefester
Thread Starter #12
That answers my question. Those are what the non ST Fiestas here are fitted with. They are also half the price!!

Thank you fir that :)

SteveS

1000 Post Club
That answers my question. Those are what the non ST Fiestas here are fitted with. They are also half the price!!

Thank you fir that :)
Here, every Ford vehicle uses the same valve stem/TPMS. And they are all rubber coated. I've never seen an exposed metal valve stem from any OEM manufacturer here.

OP
unclefester
Thread Starter #16
I'm in between a sort of copper bronze and a more yellow bronze at the moment. Going to see them tonight to see how close he can get to that lambo colour but still sticking with a powder coat. I do not want these painted ,:)