Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Really Should Stop Modifying my Daily Driver

Guess its a good thing I have other vehicles for the times I pull the Fiesta apart.

I picked up this 2016 last spring. It had 18K miles and had one owner who drove it around Indiana for a couple of years. Car was in good shape so let the modifying begin. Obviously when I first got it, I couldn't leave it alone for awhile.

Off comes the front end for an intercooler, air box, tune, etc. Added the Mountune intercooler, airbox, colder plugs, changed out clamps with T-bolts, etc

OP
F
Thread Starter #2
Still wasn't good enough. Couldn't even hear the exhaust. That was annoying. A quick call and Thermal R&D to the rescue. Of course I didn't like their silly ass slip fit weird coupler flange. Lets whip out the TIG welder and fix that up.

Of course that will have to come off when the upgraded turbo and down pipe are added, but then I'll do a V-band.

OP
F
Thread Starter #3
More HP and Torque didn't solve the ride height problem. Dear Ford, the Fiesta ST isn't a 4wd, get the ride height correct. You used different springs for the ST, they could have been a bit lower. Oh well, Suspension Techniques to the rescue.

Since the tires are so far away from the fenders, H&R had to add some spacers. I think they are 15mm, no way you can run more than about 3mm without changing spacers, so I added some longer studs to go with them. Problem solved.

OP
F
Thread Starter #4
After all that its, time to go to Barber Motorsports Park to finish off those OE Bridgestones

Fun day with Just Track It. Car was a blast, better than I expected, but the OE Bridgestones suck and suck even worse when they are 2 years old. Expected that. The open diff ruins this car. Dear Ford, whose cheap ass idea was an open diff in this car? Also, who puts marginal brakes on a car this capable? Stupid. OH well, I have a fix for that.

OP
F
Thread Starter #5
Time for some more upgrades, this time we get a little more...
For some reason this car seemed a little long on the gear, I was a chicken and didn't want to go to the 4.30 so I picked up the 4.06 and that was a good move. The car is snappier and it reacts better throughout the RPM range

This is probably the way Ford should have done it, Obviously they liked it enough for the ST200.

Then the MANDATORY limited slip that Ford should have made at least optional in this country. There is no excuse for not offering an LSD as an option.

While we were in there, lets toss this 25lb dual mass flywheel and replace it with a nice aluminum flywheel. Definitely a much better option.

OP
F
Thread Starter #6
Now onto the serious work. Lets build a big brake kit for this car. None of the off the shelf options looked good, so lets build our own.
Start with these:

12.88 x 1.10 48vane Wilwood directional rotors. I could go probably .500in larger, but there isn't a reasonably priced rotor and I think this will do the job.

If we are gonna address the fronts, lets go bigger on the rear, cuz those silly rear rotors look tiny in those big ass wheels. So I dug around and found a 12in option.

They are quiet a bit larger than the SVT rotor I installed on the rear before Barber. Then I find there is a 13in option that I could use. Guess I'll have to make some new brackets to support those at some point.

OP
F
Thread Starter #7
Up and running, they worked out pretty well. The lower control arm needed a bit of clearance, but that is no problem.

No before the nerds out there freak out, yes I know the rotor isn't fully covered with the pad. The rotor is 2in larger than the stock rear rotor. There is going to be a large space between the pad and the middle of the rotor. This was an exercise in getting a larger rotor to generate more torque at the wheel. Without going to a HUGE piston there is no way to get more pad coverage on that larger rotor, however the stock Fiesta ST pad is completely touching the rotor so I get as much torque as can be generated with the OE hydraulic setup. I don't think it needs more rear brake plus this should help keep the rear brakes from melting down on track.

OP
F
Thread Starter #8
Now to the drawbacks. Since I picked a full floating hat to build my kit from, they are holy fuck loud. The floating rotor setup is fantastic for feel and when hot and smoking, the pedal feel doesn't change and there is no distortion in the rotor rings. For a track car they are awesome, but for a "quiet" street car, .015 free float is the most ridiculous, noisy, thing on the planet. When driving down the road you hear "Chatter from the front end", sounds like something is loose (cuz it is). You can turn up the stereo to drown it out a bit, but if you have a passenger its LOUD. Add in a road with a bunch of small bumps, cracks, disturbances, etc and it gets worse. When you put the brakes on the noise goes away as to be expected.

I'm gonna have to pull these off and machine some solid hats to stop this racket. Might be worth trying to make a "spring" for the t-nuts to see if I can take out the slack under normal conditions.

Ford ST

1000 Post Club
This is impressive. Do you own a shop/do this for a living.
Great build.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
F
Thread Starter #12
I think the springs would work out pretty well. If you look at all the OE cars that come with two piece rotors like the Camaro 1LE, Corvette Z06/ZR1, Audi products, etc, they have a different style hat but they float them and have a tension spring to keep them quiet. I don't know if there is room for a spring though. I may try it as a last resort.

The Wilwood hat is a little different than the Brembo/AP/etc. They float the mounting bolts instead of the rotor so there is an inherent noise associated with that freedom of movement. No big deal when you have no interior, exhaust, etc on a race car, but its really annoying when you try to drive quietly down the street.

Yeah, I own Fusion Works Fabrication. So I kinda do this for a living. HAHA