Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear Bilstein B8s - permanently increased ride height or need to settle?

I was happy enough with my Vogtland springs and stock struts. Then the inevitable happened and the right rear strut started leaking. Based on reading folks' opinions here and elsewhere, ordered some B8s. The result was a mf'ing fender gap, albeit less so than stock. While it's not terrible, a little part of me dies every time I gaze upon the ol' White Knuckle with such an enhanced rake. Does my wife, group of friends, or toddler notice? No. No they do not.

Here, @DangerMouse lamented the ride height increase with B8s, Swift springs, and powerflex pads installed. In one reply to the thread, @KyleS says B8s contribute "to at least a 1/4" increase in rear ride height". Definitely consistent with my experience.

What I haven't been able to determine is if anyone has experienced these struts settling.
If so, can I expedite this process by lugging some weight around in the trunk? Kidding, kind of.
If not, are Koni str.ts or yellows my next purchase?
Any other thoughts appreciated as well. Cheers and thanks.

Mikey456

You can try running the factory spring pads first because the powerflex pads are stiffer which might give the bump in height. Just a guess. Otherwise Koni might be a good alternative.

OP
A
Thread Starter #3
You can try running the factory spring pads first because the powerflex pads are stiffer which might give the bump in height. Just a guess. Otherwise Koni might be a good alternative.
Thanks for the reply and, sorry, should've mentioned that I am running the factory spring pads. So, yeah, I'm also thinking Konis.

I had installed Mountune springs with stock dampers and was good with the ride height. My front left blew and then purchased B8s (after a million year wait to find stock, that's a whole different story). The overall ride height did end up slightly higher which I too did not like and after months there is no settling or drop. I like the ride and performance so I'm sticking with it, I daily my ST so I don't want it too low, I have been around that block before. Koni yellows are great, had them on a 1 series, but I didn't want to mess with the settings and the much higher price. Also, the yellows have to be turned to adjust on the rears, they don't have a knob, so you have to remove to adjust. I must be getting old...easy seems to always sound better now days ;)

OP
A
Thread Starter #5
I had installed Mountune springs with stock dampers and was good with the ride height. My front left blew and then purchased B8s (after a million year wait to find stock, that's a whole different story). The overall ride height did end up slightly higher which I too did not like and after months there is no settling or drop. I like the ride and performance so I'm sticking with it, I daily my ST so I don't want it too low, I have been around that block before. Koni yellows are great, had them on a 1 series, but I didn't want to mess with the settings and the much higher price. Also, the yellows have to be turned to adjust on the rears, they don't have a knob, so you have to remove to adjust. I must be getting old...easy seems to always sound better now days ;)
Excellent information about the front shocks elevating ride height as well. Thanks. I'll keep this in mind if/when the fronts go. And I'm with you; nowadays, easy is usually better(er) than better.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Since I desire close to the factory ride height (the whole bottom of the car would be gone, even with a skid plate, when working ARA rallies IF the car were as slammed as some have them on here! [nono]), this is actually encouraging for me.

Swift Spec Rs with Bilstein B6es might just get me there (higher spring rate, but near factory ride height) if this Bilstein ride height jacking phenomenon is real. [wink]

So, I am considering Vogtland sprigs as I had them on my old SVT Focus. They were fantastic but a touch too low as I wound up scraping the exhaust sensors coming out of my parking garage in NYC a few times. I also punched a hole in my oil pan when there was construction on one the streets on the way in to work. I'm thinking that this ride height increase would be a good thing for my being able to go with the Vogtlands again. On average how much of a ride height increase has everyone on this thread been getting with the Bisteins? Thanks!

Last edited:
I did not do any measuring before (stock) and after (B8) but if I had to guess it would be about a 1/4" or so. Nothing that is a complete deal breaker but I did notice. The B8s do offer a great ride and performance so I am still very happy with my Mountune/B8 set up.

Just a thought...H&R has 2 springs, a Sport and a Super Sport. They say the Super Sports lower a 1/2" more, some say maybe a little too much. If combined with B8s it may end up being a happy comprise, closer to the Sport version in drop. Could work similarly with any "too low" lowering spring. Will only know if someone tries it or has done it already.

Is this powerflex spring pad ride height increase a confirmed thing? I get what you are saying but if they aren't actually any thicker I wouldn't think there would be a visible increase in ride height just from them being firmer.

I wish somebody would just sell adjustable rear spring perches, for people that want to fine tune rake or whatever without buying the whole set of coilovers that normally come with them.

Mikey456

Is this powerflex spring pad ride height increase a confirmed thing? I get what you are saying but if they aren't actually any thicker I wouldn't think there would be a visible increase in ride height just from them being firmer.

I wish somebody would just sell adjustable rear spring perches, for people that want to fine tune rake or whatever without buying the whole set of coilovers that normally come with them.
This was based on a personal observation of a guy that had identical (if I remember correctly) Swift springs that I have. His car appeared higher with the B8’s than mine with stock shocks. I also noticed the rear of the car a bit higher. I did not take measurements though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I actually want a slight rake. Just for the looks. But thats my style.

Brianmc27

So with the springs that are advertised to work with stock shocks, would the B6 be smarter?

The powerflex pads are thicker and much firmer, basically acting like a small spacer. Yes it increases the height but it's minimal.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
1/4" sounds about right. It was enough that I couldn't live with it. I took my B8's off and went back to the stock shocks until I save enough for the Koni's
THANKS ALL! [thumb]

.25" higher, combined with one of those lifts kits (or the one JDG had made up IF he makes any more and sells them! [;)]), would make the Swift Spec R springs on B6es a usable combo for my purposes, since I cannot have the car 'slammed' like most want it to be.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The B6’s (not B8’s) are recommended for the Swift springs. Koni is another alternative to Bilstein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, last time I spoke to Swift's 'tech' people, they were undecided/back and forth on which Bilstein damper to use with their springs for our cars.

znegva

Sorry to resurrect a 2 month old post for my introduction. I received a set of the Mountune sport springs from my wife at Christmas in 2018. I hadn't had them installed yet and I just got around to doing it this weekend. I had decided that I was going to get the B8's and do it all at once. I was surprised (maybe shocked is a better word for those who prefer a pun.) When I put the car back down there was zero change in height. I drove it for a short while and the fronts did settle about a quarter inch, the rears are the exact same height as stock, maybe a hair higher. I love the way it rides, but I was looking forward to a little bit of a drop. ~.8 inches rear ~1 inch front is what was advertised. They've only been on a little longer than 24 hours, I'm hoping it settles a little. - The car is a 2017 Fiesta ST White Platinum Tricoat with just under 50,000 miles.

Brianmc27

Sorry to resurrect a 2 month old post for my introduction. I received a set of the Mountune sport springs from my wife at Christmas in 2018. I hadn't had them installed yet and I just got around to doing it this weekend. I had decided that I was going to get the B8's and do it all at once. I was surprised (maybe shocked is a better word for those who prefer a pun.) When I put the car back down there was zero change in height. I drove it for a short while and the fronts did settle about a quarter inch, the rears are the exact same height as stock, maybe a hair higher. I love the way it rides, but I was looking forward to a little bit of a drop. ~.8 inches rear ~1 inch front is what was advertised. They've only been on a little longer than 24 hours, I'm hoping it settles a little. - The car is a 2017 Fiesta ST White Platinum Tricoat with just under 50,000 miles.
They’ll settle more. After a month I was down 1/2” on all corners - Mountune springs w/ OEM shocks that had 42k on the clock.

Still underwhelmed with the drop.