Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear Brake Caliper (Piston Frozen wide open)

Car only has 45k miles on it but for some reason there is like 0 pad life left on the rear brake pads and the rotors were pretty wore down (Not even that hard of a driver). So I decided to tackle this myself - everything went very smooth except for pushing the piston back into the caliper... i broke 2 tools and the piston seems to be frozen solid - is there a step that I am missing that I should know about ? Also didn't see that there was a Banjo bolt on the rear caliper - and there was literally no brake hardware (never had a break service) is this normal ? Every car i've ever worked on had pad/caliper brackets that the pads rest in. Sounds like I just need a new caliper - but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

koozy

3000 Post Club
How are you trying to push the pistons back in? And what tools did you break?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
What tool did you use to push the pistons back in?

Are you using a brake caliper piston tool? Like the cube? Or some other piston tool or are you trying to just compress it back in?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

You can get by in a pinch by using a needlenose pliers and rotating the piston as you compress it

OP
J
Thread Starter #7
You can get by in a pinch by using a needlenose pliers and rotating the piston as you compress it

I realized that - but would have been an even bigger pain in the ass. I bought a tool from advance (until the one from amazon comes) and it did the trick - brake pedal feels like new now. Just never seen this design before - there is also like no hardware on the rear calipers (not sure about the fronts because I didn't do those - just let the dealer do that to get me past inspection last time). Still researching big brake front upgrades.

I realized that - but would have been an even bigger pain in the ass. I bought a tool from advance (until the one from amazon comes) and it did the trick - brake pedal feels like new now. Just never seen this design before - there is also like no hardware on the rear calipers (not sure about the fronts because I didn't do those - just let the dealer do that to get me past inspection last time). Still researching big brake front upgrades.
Dont need the tool for the fronts just compress and go!