Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rebuilding TJIN Ford Fiesta ST

I wanted to introduce myself and present my current build. To some of you, this car is very well-known.

I purchased TJIN's car. It had been wrecked and had light front end damage. The price was very good and it was only 30m away from me so I took the plunge. I rented a uhaul and brought it home. I was actually able to load it on the trailer by myself since the car drives and runs even though it can't be running for long since it will overheat.

What's the damage?
Luckily, the engine, transmission and chassis are straight and not damaged. The intercooler took the majority of the hit and it bent in a shape of a perfect arch. Thankfully, it was hit at such an angle that the impact did not affect the crash bar or frame rails. Whatever the guy hit, it impacted the intercooler from underneath and it pushed the radiator and all the parts behind them up towards the driver's side so no frame damage happened.

Somehow, the rear also got damaged. The spoiler was split in half and the rear window shuttered but no damage to the lift gate or quarter panels.

The progress so far:
1. Cleaned interior and exterior -- I spent a full day taking apart the trunk and rear seats and cleaning every piece of glass I could find. It's crazy how many little pieces of glass I found and I'm still 100% sure I did not get 3/4s of them. The glass pieces made it all the way to the front of the car.
2. Removed damaged parts and kept what was reusable -- Only a fog light cover, and one of the fender liners are reusable. Front bumper cover, spoiler, intercooler, piping and hood were bent or are too far gone to even consider fixing.
3. Started to take broken pipes off the car -- The worst damaged were the intercooler ones, all cracked and bent. Thankfully, the clips holding them in place broke before any damage reached where the pipes actually connect to the engine.
4. Took the crash bar off the car along with the radiator support, radiator, condenser, and fan -- This is where most of the damage happened. None of those parts are usable (maybe the fan). I checked the front of the engine after taking the front end off and I did not see any further damage other than some bent pipes and lines that I may be able to put back in place but nothing seriously damaged or cracked. The only thing I may replace was the oil cooler as one of the metal fittings (driver's side, the one that goes towards the cabin) was bent but not cracked. I may need to do some further inspection to make sure I didn't miss anything else but it looked pretty good to me.

What is next?
So far, I just have the radiator coming. I'm also trying to track down a new crash bar, condenser, fan, pipes and lines, radiator support, dehydrator, hood, horn and a bumper cover (looking at getting the RS one). I may need more parts but that should cover most of the big stuff for now.

What happens after the car is put together and ready to hit the road?
This car is going to be my winter car. So I plan on driving it from November/December through March/April. Air suspension is coming off at some point and so are the wheels/tires. I will be getting a set of winter tires / wheels just for the Winter. I'll worry about summer tires / wheels next year. I'm also thinking of upgrading a few parts next year such as the intercooler etc. For now, I just want to make sure the car runs and can be put together within the next month or two before cold weather makes an appearance.

Lastly, if you disagree with anything I said or it just doesn't make sense, just let me know! This is my first rebuild project and I want to use it as an opportunity to learn as much as possible :)

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
F
Thread Starter #2
New update!
IMG_20190910_210036.jpg
As you can see, I have disassembled all the damaged parts and it's now stripped down to the parts that are good, with the exception of that lower radiator hose and the fuel feed line.

I placed a huge order of parts that should be here by Thursday / Friday and will include most of the lines, hoses, radiator support, purge valve line, plastic trim pieces, condenser, AC dryer etc. I still need to get the crash bar, hood, front bumper cover and intercooler but those are not a priority at the moment

After I get the parts this week, I plan on starting plugging hoses and lines back in and make my way to the front end so I can start adding the radiator, condenser, crash bar and finally front bumper cover.

Also, I'm going to need some advice about the wiring harness. This is the engine compartment harness so replacing the whole thing would be a WHOLE LOT of work and time that I don't think I have.
Most of the connectors that go to the AC dryer, headlights and fog lights are also damaged so I was thinking of buying a new engine compartment harness, take the section of the harness that I need and solder it to the harness on the car. Would that work?

Below are the images of the damage
IMG_20190910_210111.jpg
IMG_20190910_210045.jpg
IMG_20190910_210053.jpg

PunkST

Doing the engine harness/ engine bay chassis harness. wouldnt take that long honestly. It may be a bit pricey though. I did it on my svt focus conversion. Swapped all the wiring from my donor car to mine. Took at most an hour with 2 people to swap all of the harnesses ( even the interior harness to make sure it all worked) youve already got most of the stuff out of the way, and my fear is repairing the current harness some damage might get missed and the car doesnt operate right for some reason till you pull it all apart a couple times just to find one busted wire where you didnt expect it.

OP
F
Thread Starter #4
Doing the engine harness/ engine bay chassis harness. wouldnt take that long honestly. It may be a bit pricey though. I did it on my svt focus conversion. Swapped all the wiring from my donor car to mine. Took at most an hour with 2 people to swap all of the harnesses ( even the interior harness to make sure it all worked) youve already got most of the stuff out of the way, and my fear is repairing the current harness some damage might get missed and the car doesnt operate right for some reason till you pull it all apart a couple times just to find one busted wire where you didnt expect it.
True... I have this service manual that shows where everything goes... going through the firewall may be the trickiest part. All the other stuff seems very doable. The whole harness is $300 straight from Ford
1568175352756.png

Anyone has ever done this in a Fiesta ST?

Last edited:

PunkST

There should just be a giant connector that bolts down at the firewall junction. At least thats hiw it was on my old car.