Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Recaro Seat Rattle?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I have a small rattle which sounds like it's coming from the unoccupied passenger Recaro seat. Has anyone experienced a rattle in their Recaro seat? I just can't imagine that there's anything in there that could do that. I tried changing the recline angle, and checked to be sure that the seat was fully in position in the forward/ backward adjustment track, that didn't help.
I've removed everything from the car that I can think of that could be rattling, and still hear the noise.
It's possible that it's coming from the passenger door, noises can be tricky to tell where they're coming from. That door panel was taken off to replace the passenger side mirror, and seems to have been solidly put back on, but I am going to check with the body shop which did that work. That work was done a couple months ago, and the noise just appeared, so that seems unlikely as a cause of the noise.

Last edited:
OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Check the tightness of the seat bolts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Are you talking about the ones at the end of the metal tracks where they go into the floor? I looked at those and they weren't visibly loose, but I will double check them, thanks. Do you know what kind of tool tightens them, when I looked at them it looked like kind of an oddly shaped fastener.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Are you talking about the ones at the end of the metal tracks where they go into the floor? I looked at those and they weren't visibly loose, but I will double check them, thanks. Do you know what kind of tool tightens them, when I looked at them it looked like kind of an oddly shaped fastener.
I haven't looked at my Fiesta bolts but many newer vehicles use Torx.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I haven't looked at my Fiesta bolts but many newer vehicles use Torx.

Thanks for this, I'll take another look at the fasteners, and I have a selection of bits that may include Torx.

DangerMouse

My seat slide adjustment bars were rattling like crazy, bouncing up and down. That was last winter and spring. I upgraded to the Vibra Technics mounts and it has since stopped. Not sure if related or coincidence but either way I'm happy. Now that I talked about it, they will start rattling again lol . I was about to buy a pool noodle to put over them.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Here are pictures of my 2 passenger seat front rail mounting points. They do look like they have Torx fasteners, which I don't have, can anybody confirm that for me? I'm a fairly crappy mechanic.
They don't feel loose to the touch, but I'm going to get the right bit and tighten them down to be sure. I don't see anything else accessible that can be tightened. IMG_20191129_144724050.jpg IMG_20191129_144715024.jpg

Last edited:

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Here are pictures of my 2 passenger seat front rail mounting points. They do look like they have Torx fasteners, which I don't have, can anybody confirm that for me? I'm a fairly crappy mechanic.
They don't feel loose to the touch, but I'm going to get the right bit and tighten them down to be sure. I don't see anything else accessible that can be tightened. View attachment 25648 View attachment 25649
Torx for sure. T45, 50 or 55 if I had to guess.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
You can pick up a set at Lowe’s of Home Depot. There are 4 bolts. You’ll need a ratchet driver as well, and likely an adapter.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
I'm embarrassed to say that it turns out that the rattle probably wasn't in the seat after all, it was probably my garage door opener, which was attached to the passenger visor.
The noise was initially there for a couple weeks, then went away for a month or two, then came back. When it came back it sounded more like it was in the passenger side door, the panel of which had been removed a couple times to replace the mirror. Before I did anything else I've tried taking everything (I thought, note plot foreshadowing device) out of the car that could possibly be rattling to see if the noise went away. It didn't. My next step was going back to the body shop since the door panel had been off. I didn't think it was that because it had been a few months, but I was just trying to eliminate things. The really nice body shop guy agreed to ride in the car, and before we even got out of the parking lot the noise stopped. He then held out his hand to me which had the garage door opener in it. When I thought I had taken everything out of the car that might have been rattling, of course that's the one thing I forgot about. The noise has now been gone for a couple weeks, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
The moral of the story is that it's really hard to tell where a noise is coming from, and it may be the thing that you least suspect.