Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Recaro Swap Seat Heater Retrofit Harness - UPDATED WITH BOM AND DIAGRAM!

I'd like to give special thanks to @Peterwashere for motivating me to finally post this info and for his help in formatting and presenting it.

Happy harness-making! ;)

ORIGINAL OP BELOW:

Hello!

Some of you may have noticed my posts in a few threads around here regarding achieving operational seat heaters in Recaro-swapped FiSTs while using the factory switches. I've been doing some extensive research into this, and it is my plan to create and offer for sale a retrofit harness. I have extensively researched the wiring diagrams for several model years of the FiST and have poked around my own base-seat 2018 FiST a bit, and have created a wiring diagram/blueprint for a seat heater retrofit harness. I am confident that achieving factory-like operation of seat heaters in base seat FiSTs is 100% possible.

Update:
IT WORKS
View attachment 15926

Prototype:
View attachment 15927

Release candidate:

CURRENT ETA: Completed, ready to ship!

>>>INSTALLATION GUIDE<<<
These harnesses will cost you $100, shipping included. I have made a set of ten, with future batches possible but not guaranteed. Once these ten are sold, that may be it! But don't worry, I don't plan on keeping secrets. I will eventually provide a finalized wiring diagram and bill of material for those that wish to create their own harness. No guaranteed ETA on that, though.​
Be aware that the installation process is fairly involved and will require basic tools, a Windows laptop with FORscan and a ELM327-based OBDII adapter*. You will need to source your own OEM SW7328 and SW7329 heater switches (they are currently ~$19ea on Rock Auto). The harness will include everything else - fuse, relays, distinctly colored wires, and terminals and connectors. Installation will involve removing the seats and some dash/center console panels, routing the harness, placing wire terminals into the proper pin cavities on several connectors, and using FORscan to change a BCM setting to enable the seat heater function. Illustrated, step-by-step instructions for the entire process is provided in the install guide above.

*- It has come to my attention that the "VINT-TT55502" USB OBDII adapter can be problematic. I personally recommend the Bluetooth adapter as I have had very little trouble with it. If you have a VINT-TT55502 USB OBDII adapter and are having trouble with it, try these steps:

1. Follow this link and download "VINT-TT55502.rar"
  2. Extract and install the drivers.
  3. With the device connected, open your Windows Device Manager either through the Windows Control Panel or by searching "Device Manager" through the Start Menu.
  4. Expand the "Ports (COM & LPT)" entry in the Device Manager
  5. Identify the OBDII adapter in the list and make note of the COM number assigned to it. You will need to provide this number to FORscan for it to communicate with the adapter.
  6. The "HS" and "MS" settings on the switch of your OBDII adapter may be reversed. If the "HS" setting does not seem to work when FORscan requires it to be set to "HS," try the "MS" setting and vice-versa.
NOTE: If your "one-touch-up" aka "automatic window close" function has been disabled after installation of this harness, try this:
Resetting the bounce-back feature
WARNING: The bounce-back function is deactivated until you have reset the memory.
After the battery has been disconnected from the vehicle you must reset the bounce-back memory:
  • Pull up the switch and hold until the window is fully closed then release the switch.
  • Pull up the switch again for one more second.
  • Press and hold the switch until the window is fully open, then release the switch.
  • Pull up the switch and hold until the window is fully closed.
  • Open the window and try to close it automatically.
  • Reset and repeat procedure if the window does not close automatically.
ALL HARNESSES ARE SOLD.

CURRENT BUYERS (10/10):
GumbeauxJR*
ripper*
posts*
FiestDave*
chalituna*
Scrambles*
dailybean*
KonaBlueFiST*
Fireflying*
Brentaresco*

Thank you for reading, and thanks in advance for any and all input and questions![/quote]​

I would definitely be interested in buying a harness. I swapped Recaros into my 2015 FiST a couple months ago and I'm missing the heated seats now that the weather is getting colder. I've already purchased the OEM heater switches and started looking at wiring diagrams but quickly realized I'm not knowledgeable enough to figure out the electrical wiring on my own.
I took my car to an auto-electric mechanic a couple of weeks ago and he quoted me $2200 to wire up the factory buttons and seats. That's over 4x what I paid for the seats! I said screw that and bought a $10 heating pad on ebay.
I took pictures of the passenger-side harness from the car that I got the seats out of but it was a 2015 model, so that doesn't really help you out any.

I will buy a harness depending on cost. I have retrofitted recaros into my fiesta and it came with the connectors from the old car. Maybe I can track them down and get you photos. The full wiring diagram is available on here and should give you everything you need to make this.

I'm patient, just as long as it's done right which from your posts it looks like it will be plug and play for the most part. I could sure use it today, it's 50 degrees right now in Houston, a far cry from the cold I was used to living in Ohio but my truck has seat heaters so it spoiled me.

MagnetiseST

Premium Account
Sub'd

looking to see the outcome, definitely interested if you can get this to work like OEM!

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
UPDATE:

View attachment 18967

IT WORKS!

I've had an exhausting holiday weekend so far (helped a friend replace the entire exhaust system on his 2004 Mini Cooper S with performance parts - what an ordeal!) so I'm going to take a break. I will write up instructions soon, and figure out what extra materials I will need for future harnesses, but - it works!
This is awesome news. I've had the recaros and heated seat switches in my car for almost a year. It would be amazing if they worked!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

koozy

3000 Post Club
I already have Recardo’s, but appreciate the work, vision and passion to get this done for those who need it for their retro fitted Recardo’s. Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. There are a few more steps before I will have harnesses ready for sale, but give me a few weeks and we're good to go. I've got to get some extra wire and I need to write the instructions, test the "release" version, and actually make them.

Overall, the install process should take about two to three hours with careful reading and maybe some cussin' to grease things along. The most difficult part of the process will be inserting the wire terminals into the correct cavities on the connectors, mainly due to the cramped working space in the passenger footwell. The small blue connector on the BCM is particularly troublesome, but 100% doable. Best part, I believe, is that this install is completely reversible. There will be NO permanent modification to your vehicle.
Any way to just get the drivers side since that’s the only Recaro seat in my car?

If you really only want the driver-side to work, I could make a harness specifically for you. Otherwise just tape up/remove the passenger-side wires. Cost will probably be the same since it'll be a special order, and although it will use less material I will not be left with enough extra connectors/terminals to make another complete harness. Does that sound alright?
That’s fine with me. The passenger side of my car is still a base seat.

TAKE MY MONEY! I recently installed ST3 seats in my FiST and my wife bugs me everyday if the heaters are hooked up lol. Cause my selling point to her for me getting Recaros is "babe! they will have heaters!... I just have to hook them up..."[wrenchin]

koozy

3000 Post Club
by chance would you happen to know if this harness will also allow the activation of heated side view mirrors for full OE like effect?

Excited for the product. Btw there’s been a lot of talk of wanting a way to make heated seats work on Facebook groups. Not sure how many you’d be willing to make but the interest is there FYI.

Send me a pm once you’ve got the harness for me built and I will PayPal you and give you shipping info, thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk