Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Red Brake Calipers

My 16 FiST came with the ebony wheel option but had unpainted calipers. The dealer agreed in writing to paint them but now is saying it isn't possible. Anyone else running into this situation? The Ford Fiesta ST brochure clearly states "17" premium Ebony Black-painted aluminum wheels with red-painted brake calipers."

They just realized how much labor is involved in doing it right... Either they paint them, or source what was promised. The Monroney sticker is like an agreement. You are entitled to a remedy if the car did not come equipped as described. They may end up paying you to go away, in which case I would ask a reputable shop how much you'd have to pay them to do the work you're asking for. Don't accept a penny less than that amount.

I think FoMoCo screwed up on the 16 options. All of the new 16's on the lots around here only have red calipers with the standard wheel. All of the black wheel cars have the silver calipers.

Don't let them paint the calipers. They need to be replaced with new powder coated models.

They will probably have the oil change tech tape 'em up and paint them with red caliper paint from AutoZone..lol

Something went wrong on the production line, because my '16 has the silver wheels and has red calipers. All the 16's I've seen with silver wheels have the red calipers, while all the black wheel models have the non-painted versions.

OP
M
Thread Starter #7
It does seem to be a Ford production issue. First the dealer said they would replace the calipers. Then they figured out they were $300 each plus labor. Then they promised in writing to paint them, which if done right has been fine in my experience. I've used the G2 products on several Mustangs. Next they tried to tell me painting them would be a fire hazard. Many phone calls later now they are going to replace them. Except they are on backorder for 30 days.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Something went wrong on the production line, because my '16 has the silver wheels and has red calipers. All the 16's I've seen with silver wheels have the red calipers, while all the black wheel models have the non-painted versions.
Yes something with Ford likely production. But the grey wheels on the 16 were the premium for the 14/15 which had the red caliper. Seems the production simply replaced the light silver with black instead of bumping down the rado from premium and keeping the red caliper for the blacks. BTW what does the window sticker say or https://www.etis.ford.com/say in on the 2016?.

BTW if you need help you can PM [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION] for help.

OP
M
Thread Starter #9
The etis report lists non-painted brake calipers. However, it is my understanding that report is how the car actually rolled off the assembly line, not how it was supposed to. It also lists "Front Floor Mats - ST logo" which apparently nobody has ever seen, except for the rubber all weather mats.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I had a similar problem.
I ordered my car with the Red Caliper Option.
However getting close to the build date, I received a commination from Ford that this option would not be on the car.
As it turned out the parts would not be available for the build date.
I was given the option to either accept the car as built or order another.

My point is that maybe your dealer received a similar commination but failed to inform you.
This does not make the dealer any less responsible.

My recommendation is that you wait until the parts are released from backorder so you don't have any paint issues.
You should also get a new set of pads and you could make then replace all the rotors.

Dave

It does seem to be a Ford production issue. First the dealer said they would replace the calipers. Then they figured out they were $300 each plus labor. Then they promised in writing to paint them, which if done right has been fine in my experience. I've used the G2 products on several Mustangs. Next they tried to tell me painting them would be a fire hazard. Many phone calls later now they are going to replace them. Except they are on backorder for 30 days.
Hey 2002whitegt and mark289,

Thanks for posting about this. I'll look over some options on my end to see how I can help. Please PM your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number, and I'll get started.

... BTW if you need help you can PM [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION] for help.
Thanks for pointing 2002whitegt my way, CanadianGuy. :)

Nick

All the 2016s with the standard Rado grey wheels got the red calipers. All the optional Ebony black wheels got the unpainted calipers. Unless it got fixed afterward that's how they were going out when I got my 2016 at the end of September. I have the standard Rado grey wheels and I would have preferred the unpainted calipers honestly, but I got the red ones. I had a post awhile back showing that all 2016s on autotrader and cars.com with Ebony black wheels got unpainted and Rado grey wheels got red calipers.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have painted many calipers and simply just clean them really well, go over them a couple of times, tape them up well and spray right on the car, back side not needed as can't be seen anyway.

I would ask them what it will cost to have them swap the calipers and see if I could get a credit for other parts instead at a lessor value, might not happen but you could get much more than a caliper color change out of the deal:)

It's almost like they've been so used to putting the red calipers with the Rado grey wheels for the past 2 years, that they just kept doing it, not realizing there was a change for 2016. Regardless, get new calipers that come red from the factory - like BinaryST said, it'll probably be a tech spraying them with AutoZone paint, or worse - craft paint from AC Moore!

OP
M
Thread Starter #19
After much back and forth, the dealer has ordered new red calipers. I have an appointment to have them installed on Monday. I'm guessing either Ford balked at replacing them or the dealer didn't know how to get Ford to replace them. Either way, it seems apparent Ford has a disconnect between their marketing and production teams.

I've seen one or two on dealer lots lately that have had black wheels with the red calipers. So maybe they got it all straightened out.