Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Remove/replace full size spare for weight savings?

I haven't weighed my spare, but figure it's a good 1% of the curb weight. Anybody run without it (maybe with a can of sealer & pump) or maybe a lighter spare? Seems an easy way to pick up performance and handling.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
FOR DAILY DUTIES YOU SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING IN A MANNER TO NOTICE IT

AT THE TRACK I WILL BEG TO DIFFER ALSO

SHOW ME YOUR FASTER TIMES BY 0.000000001 WITH YOUR 25LBS REMOVED

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Besides not liking the space/weight saver spares to drive on, when needed, (even for a very short distance), and not trusting the plug kit/compressor setup for all scenarios, I am afraid to remove any more weight from the back of this car, since behind the front seats is already 'gutted', save for the plastic side/hatch trim, and the jack and spare.

The weight distribution is probably already at 70/30 or so, LOL, don't want it any more unbalanced.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I downsized to a aluminum donut, but only because I made a custom sub that fits under the cargo floor and I needed the extra couple inches. The sub is a beast and more than makes up for the weight loss.

I believe the jack, spare and their accouterments push close to 40 pounds. I noticed a difference in balance on the autocross course when I removed it, but haven't had a chance to test it back to back. I've actually been thinking about relocating the battery into that spot to improve the F/R balance.
Also, have you considered turning off your caps lock? Most people interpret it as 'shouting', and many consider it rude.

Besides not liking the space/weight saver spares to drive on, when needed, (even for a very short distance), and not trusting the plug kit/compressor setup for all scenarios, I am afraid to remove any more weight from the back of this car, since behind the front seats is already 'gutted', save for the plastic side/hatch trim, and the jack and spare.

The weight distribution is probably already at 70/30 or so, LOL, don't want it any more unbalanced.
What about a battery relocate and a roadside assistance add-on to your insurance policy?
I throw the spare in for longer trips, but don't see the sense in carting the extra weight around, as I haven't had a flat since like '01 or so (knock on wood). Plus it gives me more concealed storage space!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What about a battery relocate and a roadside assistance add-on to your insurance policy?
I throw the spare in for longer trips, but don't see the sense in carting the extra weight around, as I haven't had a flat since like '01 or so (knock on wood). Plus it gives me more concealed storage space!
I have AAA, but sometimes I drive around the streets on tires as sticky as what you autocross on, which as you know are road shrapnel SUPER MAGNETS, so I would be waiting (sometimes for MANY hours in this area!) for a flatbed to carry me home, just not worth the trouble.

The battery relocate I have thought about, but between the current drop, yes, even with huge gauge wire, and the running of that gigantic wire into/through the interior, was just not worth it to me. [:(]

Fiestig

Just for reference https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/fiesta-st-weights-thread.24021/ and a bit of knowledge. Most weight saving in the FiST is noticeable in some way since the car is so light to start with. If you don't have a family to haul around or have another car to do so, take all the seats out except the drivers and it is an absolute blast to drive around.

Fiestig

This is just silly. Time is one thing but leveraged weight is a massive difference in more than just time. Handling, stopping distance, etc.. And those all benefit time at a track oddly enough.

Mikey456

I haven't weighed my spare, but figure it's a good 1% of the curb weight. Anybody run without it (maybe with a can of sealer & pump) or maybe a lighter spare? Seems an easy way to pick up performance and handling.
I went with a lighter alloy space saver spare from a Fiesta SE. U can order from EBay for around 80$. I forgot the exact weight difference but when u try to pick it up u notice it. Up to u if it’s worth it. I think it was worth it to me.

2017 Ford Fiesta ST, Shadow Black, Recaro seats, Mountune RMM, Swift springs, 5mm rear spacers, Falken 615+ tires