Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Replace or rebuild rear caliper

My '14 ST has had numerous rear brake problems Now the passenger side rear caliper is sticking and dragging even after miles of driving. Has anyone rebuilt or replaced the rear calipers. I also noticed that the spring return on the e-brake doesn't want to pull the lever back and release completely which is also leading to dragging on the rotor after numerous WD 40 treatments. Is there a fix for that. I notice they are Lucas.

Get a new set, they are not too expensive... and don't use WD40 for brake service please. The floating pins need brake specific grease btw but new calipers should come greased and ready to install.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Get a new set, they are not too expensive... and don't use WD40 for brake service please. The floating pins need brake specific grease btw but new calipers should come greased and ready to install.
Id still double check the slide pins on the new calipers. You just never know who is phoning it in on the job these days.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I rebuilt a front caliper on my 2014 when it had about 25k miles on it. Its really not hard at all. I think I did it in about an hour and for roughly $10 for piston and $10 for the seal kit. But these calipers are super cheap. At about $80 a pop after core on RockAuto, that's what I would do.

I'd just go ahead and replace the slide pins, slide pin boots, and regrease as well. When you live in cold climate with snow/salt it helps.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
WD-40 has no business around brakes whatsoever. A good brake job is all about cleaning and using proper brake lubricant.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
R
Thread Starter #6
Agree about the WD40 but I am not using it on the calipers but the sticking E-Brake pivot which is hanging up the cable. Anybody deal with the sticking E-Brake problem

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I hit them with lithium grease. But i think its supposed to use dry graphite?? Something kind of water proof.

I know I'm bumping an old thread but has anyone found a good how-to for rebuilding the rear calipers? I found the parts on RockAuto but have not found info about how to perform the rebuild. I got a tear in one of the boots, so I know it's only a matter of time before it needs to be serviced...

OP
R
Thread Starter #9
Forget about the rebuild. I ordered the OEM caliper and rotors from Rock Auto and the kit included everything I needed including the grease for the slide pins. Work better than originals that came with car. Very cheap and complete.

Yeah, it's like $110/side for the calipers, so admittedly it's not that much money. But a $5 boot and seal kit + the experience and satisfaction of doing the rebuild myself is worth the time to me.

Rebuilt parts are hard to get as well. One of my rear calipers started sticking so I placed an order for the parts last week. The parts were from Centric and my order was cancelled because the distributor didn't have them with no ETA. I ended up getting the last set of seals from Rock Auto and then had to turn to eBay to get a second set so I could rebuild both sides. I think the parts are a generic brand and they shipped for Puerto Rico. Yeah...getting crucial brake parts is that difficult right now.

When I looked last week Rock Auto only had a full red painted caliper replacement for one side. Not sure about the unpainted version though.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Dang was going to rebuild and sell my spare rear calipers but looks like I'm keeping them now.

Beware that there might be some incorrect Centric part #'s listed for the rear seal kit. Rock Auto and others show 143.61029 as the correct part number. That's the part # I received but it isn't for the rear and doesn't have the 4 pieces shown in the pictures. Instead it has a seal and boot that look like they are for the front calipers. The other kit I got was a rebranded Carlson package that has a seal, boot, 2 O-rings, a C-clip, and some other rubber and plastic fitting.

1630018104426.png

I also checked on the availability of the red Motocraft calipers from my local Ford dealer. ETA is early 2022. The unpainted versions are still available through remanufacturers but it appears you have to ship back your cores.

This situation is lame so I said f***-it and ordered the last two unpainted Motocraft calipers from Rock Auto. Some VHT paint will make them red.

Dolby109

So 10/15/21 Rock Auto does have reman rear calipers again, but nothing new except for the front.

Autozone and AdvanceAuto both have no rear calipers listed.

Does the ST not share a rear caliper with anything else? Why are these so rare/hard to find?