Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Resistance trying to shift gears.

I’ve noticed my car has more commonly been getting almost stuck when I’m halfway into a gear, and I have to push harder to get it in. I just purchased the car last month and I’ve currently got 28k miles. Anyone else have the same issue before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Possible adjustment of shift cables?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Those little clips are REALLY easy to break. Ask me how I know this.............

OP
S
Thread Starter #5
Sounds like he's running into resistance during the throw where the shift fork is moving the gears. I'd follow Typhoon's advice and attempt a cable adjustment (which is free and easy) before delving into other possible causes and solutions.

Here is the complete procedure per the service manual. Note that to access the shift cables you will need to remove the section of induction pipe that connects the air box to the crossover pipe.

Also, DO NOT unclip the shift cable clip with a tool, and DO NOT remove it completely! USE YOUR FINGERS to release the tabs on the top and bottom. It can be very delicate and if you break it you will need to either bodge together a fix with zip-ties or buy an entirely new shift cable, as the clips are not available by themselves.

View attachment 19995
Definitely gonna try this, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this procedure and it improved my shifting substantially. Definitely remove the intake hose for easier access to the clip so you don't have to force your way to the clip and break it.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If you find yourself resting your hand on the shifter, or continually pushing on it after in gear, or holding on to it going through corners, stop it. You don't really think about it, but have caught myself doing all of those things at one time or other. Usually a little corporal punishment... smack on the back of the right hand stops it from doing that.

@Krug - post steps for clutch pedal adjustment as well?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thanks. Besides bleeding the slave, a prior vehicle had an adjustable length metal rod between the clutch pedal and firewall. I'm surprised there isn't a similar way to adjust for clutch pedal free play and engage height. I'll check the manual later.