Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

RESOLVED: Creaking sound from engine bay...

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
My FiST has developed a creaking sound that comes from the front somewhere. It mostly manifests when the car is cold, and I am driving at parking lot speeds - 5 mph or so. The sound can be best described as creaking/rumbling, and it has to do with the car movement. If I just roll, especially in reverse, it is quite loud (so, torque doesn't seem to play into this). It goes away (or gets completely drowned out) at highway speeds. Once the car has been driven for some time, the sound recedes to a certain extent, but it's still "there".

I was thinking that may be one of the fasteners got loose and this is a sound produced by a brace or a charge pipe that no longer is firmly attached - so, I got underneath with a crow bar, and - bupkes. Nothing obvious.
What I did find is the rubber boot on one of the CV joints has split and sprayed a bunch of grease - but there is still some remaining. Could it make this kind of sound??

Stumped.

Spork1569

Did you do any recent mod or part changes?

Also you're sure it's not the infamous RMM that happens sometimes on the Mountune and Cobb kits?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Get some silicone spray and start hitting parts where you think it generates from....one at a time to eliminate them one by one.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
That's the trouble. I don't have an idea - other than the split CV joint boot, I don't see any issues. Something is clearly 'moving', but I can't identify what.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Did you do any recent mod or part changes?

Also you're sure it's not the infamous RMM that happens sometimes on the Mountune and Cobb kits?
That was my thinking, that it may be the RMM from Cobb that I have (it has been on the car for 4 years). Nothing loose with it though. Are you saying that these can creak even if everything is bolted tightly?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That was my thinking, that it may be the RMM from Cobb that I have (it has been on the car for 4 years). Nothing loose with it though. Are you saying that these can creak even if everything is bolted tightly?
Grease that shit up....

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Slather that shit up like its BBQ! Especially where the bushings meet the frame.

Spork1569

Could you be more specific? Take the bolts out and put grease on them?
I would put as much grease as you can manage. I did just the contact points on my Mountune RMM and I hear it starting to creak again. I would just slather it entirely honestly at this point if I am ever bothered to remove it again.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Or y'all could buy Red and tacky spray grease from the local Autozone.Its cheaper there....

I got all sorts of lubes - spray on and paste. My question is should I take it out or just spray/smear it?

Spork1569

Or y'all could buy Red and tacky spray grease from the local Autozone.Its cheaper there....

You mean to tell me I lotioned my hands with grease for nothing? Didn't know the spray version existed[bash]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's great stuff meng! Not as messy and keeps ya hands clean....point and shoot! Works great on all kinds of other projects

Spork1569

It's great stuff meng! Not as messy and keeps ya hands clean....point and shoot! Works great on all kinds of other projects

I'll give it a shot when I regrease my mount. Will probably wait till the next oil change, give myself something to do while the oil drains.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
So, cleaned out the local HD lubes shelf. Sprayed with Si lubricant, some penetrating lube, and smeared with Red and Sticky. We'll see... In the meantime, I now have the chore of pulling out the half-shaft to replace the split CV joint boot. Packed some of the Red and Sticky in there in the mean time...

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
It looks like it indeed is the darn RMM from Cobb.
I slathered it with Red and Sticky goo and emptied a couple of cans of silicon lube - you're welcome, environment... At least as if now, it didn't make any noise when I maneuvered the car in the courtyard.

We really should start a database or a sticky of some kind on these types of things - if there's a known issue with either OEM or AM parts so people would be aware. Blend door actuator would be on top of that list. Poor radiator, too.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It looks like it indeed is the darn RMM from Cobb.
I slathered it with Red and Sticky goo and emptied a couple of cans of silicon lube - you're welcome, environment... At least as if now, it didn't make any noise when I maneuvered the car in the courtyard.

We really should start a database or a sticky of some kind on these types of things - if there's a known issue with either OEM or AM parts so people would be aware. Blend door actuator would be on top of that list. Poor radiator, too.
Well at least it wont wash off and Hurt the Great white sea turtles of the Northern artic glacier shelf found near Rudolph's lair at the north pole.