Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Reverse is dead

its_stock

U.S. Air Force Veteran
So my car decided it didn't want to go into reverse anymore today. I've installed an LSD lightweight flywheel and spec clutch about 10,000 mi ago 100% problem free untill today. But today when I went to back into my driveway it felt like the transmission was kicking the gear selector out of gear when I started to release the clutch. Has anybody else had a similar issue? Everything else is working perfectly all the foward gears are great reverses my only issue.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So my car decided it didn't want to go into reverse anymore today. I've installed an LSD lightweight flywheel and spec clutch about 10,000 mi ago 100% problem free untill today. But today when I went to back into my driveway it felt like the transmission was kicking the gear selector out of gear when I started to release the clutch. Has anybody else had a similar issue? Everything else is working perfectly all the foward gears are great reverses my only issue.
Cable Adjustment?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
its_stock

its_stock

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #3
I plan on trying the cable adjustment tomorrow it just seems very sudden as my car went into reverse this morning with no issue. Heck it went into reverse when I left work 45 minutes ago but when I got home nothing just dead.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Put it in reverse with the engine off, then start and let the clutch out. See what happens.

OP
its_stock

its_stock

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #5
Put it in reverse with the engine off, then start and let the clutch out. See what happens.
Tried this and the car still kicks out of reverse as soon as the clutch starts too engage.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Tried this and the car still kicks out of reverse as soon as the clutch starts too engage.
Sounds like your shift fork for reverse is bent / bad, or your synchro set is bad. There could be something up with the reverse bearing too. Remember that the reverse gearset is separate from the other shafts. Do the rest of the gears work without issue?

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Adjust the cables, see what happens. If its still bad / not working you can pull the shift selector out from the top (2 10mm bolts, and unplug the reverse sensor) and take a look inside. Most likely won't be able to see anything without total disassembly though.

OP
its_stock

its_stock

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #10
No love adjusting the cables, or putting the car in gear while turned off. Looks like the transmission has to come back out.

Sam4

I'm losing reverse too. It'll jam to a stop as if i went into a hole - only once in a while though. Does it have anything to do with the lock out? Just wishful thinking with 5th already popping out.....

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm losing reverse too. It'll jam to a stop as if i went into a hole - only once in a while though. Does it have anything to do with the lock out? Just wishful thinking with 5th already popping out.....
Something is up with your synchronizers or your ball detents (little sprung balls that hold the synchronizer assembly in place)

OP
its_stock

its_stock

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #17
So I've been playing around and everything feels perfect in my transmission. I did the cable Adjustment as recommended by the group. No change but it was super easy so why not. My gear shifter feels like reverse is fully engaged, but as soon as I release the clutch it kicks out of gear. I can hold the shifter in position and lightly feather the clutch to reverse the car. That's gonna have to be good enough for the next few months till it cools off here in AZ. There is no way I'm pulling the trans in 110f+ weather.

Sam4

Something is up with your synchronizers or your ball detents (little sprung balls that hold the synchronizer assembly in place)
Thanks - you've been responding to me/my tranny for a while now. I stand firm in believing that ford screwed the pooch on the tranny and I guess my only hope is Pumaspeed. Of course $3 grand and my only hope will be a quiet divorce - nothing with guns or knives.....

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks - you've been responding to me/my tranny for a while now. I stand firm in believing that ford screwed the pooch on the tranny and I guess my only hope is Pumaspeed. Of course $3 grand and my only hope will be a quiet divorce - nothing with guns or knives.....
Why Pumaspeed? Clarke transmissions in Orlando, FL does rebuilds / mods to the IB6 transmission. Of course you can also find a used unit for sub 1k prices most of the time.