Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rubbing on the front drivers but not passenger

Just installed my H&R Sports on my car and it looks amazing. One issue I’m running into is I’m rubbing on the driver front fender liner(not the fender itself) but not the passenger. I’m running Hypergrams 17x8’s with 205/45/17 tires(should fit fine from my research) but I rub at almost full lock and on some bumps. Tried adjusting the liner and it’s all fine. Thinking of just clearancing the liner since I’m not really sure what to do at this point.

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just installed my H&R Sports on my car and it looks amazing. One issue I’m running into is I’m rubbing on the driver front fender liner(not the fender itself) but not the passenger. I’m running Hypergrams 17x8’s with 205/45/17 tires(should fit fine from my research) but I rub at almost full lock and on some bumps. Tried adjusting the liner and it’s all fine. Thinking of just clearancing the liner since I’m not really sure what to do at this point.
Tire is too tall*

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
They aren’t much different than running 215/40/17’s, and people don’t have issues with those. I’m just lost why only the drivers side does it.
It may not seem like to much difference but it is just a bit taller. FWIW H&R springs drop the car a significant amount you might want to get some camber bolts and add some negative camber in for outer clearance which is most likely where you are rubbing . Also you might want to flatten the inside fender lip as it literally sticks out horizontally and is a known spot for rubbing as it will literally cut into your sidewall.
Oh and ya that can happen if your low 215/40 as well but general rule of thumb for 17’s on cars is 215/40 not 205/45

OP
Fk8_FiST386
Thread Starter #5
It may not seem like to much difference but it is just a bit taller. FWIW H&R springs drop the car a significant amount you might want to get some camber bolts and add some negative camber in for outer clearance which is most likely where you are rubbing . Also you might want to flatten the inside fender lip as it literally sticks out horizontally and is a known spot for rubbing as it will literally cut into your sidewall.
Oh and ya that can happen if your low 215/40 as well but general rule of thumb for 17’s on cars is 215/40 not 205/45
Guess I’m gonna get some camber bolts before I have my car aligned I guess. I priced out tires, and even my price through work is almost $500 for decent tires. My tires have a ton of tread left so $27 for camber bolts seems more realistic.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Guess I’m gonna get some camber bolts before I have my car aligned I guess. I priced out tires, and even my price through work is almost $500 for decent tires. My tires have a ton of tread left so $27 for camber bolts seems more realistic.
you will be happy you did as adding in negative camber up front has more benefits than just less tire rubbing and our cars love it.

OP
Fk8_FiST386
Thread Starter #7
you will be happy you did as adding in negative camber up front has more benefits than just less tire rubbing and our cars love it.
What alignment specs should I give my alignment guy? Almost thinking of getting adjustable swaybar endlinks too but I don’t wanna snowball so I’m gonna stick to the camber bolts for now.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
What alignment specs should I give my alignment guy? Almost thinking of getting adjustable swaybar endlinks too but I don’t wanna snowball so I’m gonna stick to the camber bolts for now.
I run -2 degrees a bunch of us do though some go farther at like -2.3 to -2.5 there re also some that run -1.5-1.8 stock parameters are negative .8 to negative 1.2 I find -2 to be a fair compromise between mild and wild. Oh and I do daily my car. You will get good clearance at -2 You might still rub at -1.5 which is really only .3 difference from maximum stock factory spec.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I’m just lost why only the drivers side does it.
Maybe the driver's front damper is going bad/leaking?

Are you still on the factory dampers (shocks)?

My fully factory suspension rubs (more so on the passenger side than driver's side) on a wheel/tire setup which is about .25" shorter than your setup, and likely close on section and tread width, on an almost 2" higher ride height than your H&Rs.

I suspect that my front dampers are on their way out at this point, and are not at the factory compression pressure level anymore. [:(]

OP
Fk8_FiST386
Thread Starter #10
I run -2 degrees a bunch of us do though some go farther at like -2.3 to -2.5 there re also some that run -1.5-1.8 stock parameters are negative .8 to negative 1.2 I find -2 to be a fair compromise between mild and wild. Oh and I do daily my car. You will get good clearance at -2 You might still rub at -1.5 which is really only .3 difference from maximum stock factory spec.
I was thinking -2 so that’s perfect. Only pain is my tires will need flipped as they’re rotational lol. But I’m a tech so that’s not a big deal.

OP
Fk8_FiST386
Thread Starter #11

My fully factory suspension rubs (more so on the passenger side than driver's side) on a wheel/tire setup which is about .25" shorter than your setup, and likely close on section and tread width, on an almost 2" higher ride height than your H&Rs.

I suspect that my front dampers are on their way out at this point, and are not at the factory compression pressure level anymore. [:(]
Stock dampers, but my car is low mileage and I inspected them when I had them out to check. Ran into the same issue with my SVT Focus.

OP
Fk8_FiST386
Thread Starter #12

PM’ed you sir

OP
Fk8_FiST386
Thread Starter #13
I get my bolts Saturday, and have an appointment Monday. He’s thinking -2 camber and + .2 toe. Hes worked on many modified Fords as he was a Ford suspension, brakes, and alignment tech for 20 years. Now runs his own shop focusing on high end cars and track stuff etc.

OP
Fk8_FiST386
Thread Starter #14
Got my car aligned today. Helped quite a bit, but I do think I need to do need struts and tires before I can really throw the car into corners. Still rubbing here and there. I’m just gonna do Koni Oranges until I can afford some Fortune Auto’s or ST’s. I’ve already missed too many autocross events to even try to do anything competitive.
S280 will come before coilovers.

OP
Fk8_FiST386
Thread Starter #15
Decided I’m gonna try and loosen the fenders and pull em a little, cut the liners like 1/2” in, roll my fenders, and see how that does. Atleast that’s what I read on here last night people said to try in a bunch of posts.

Thought I’d update this

I got new 205/40 tires and no longer rub, however the ride is very harsh for my area and I’m not a fan of the entire suspension and wheel/tire setup. I’ll be selling these wheels/tires and springs and going with KE Motorsports PRO 15x8’s on a 205/50 and Swift springs or coilovers of some sort.

Attachments

I run 215 40s but I don’t rub
I’d rub with 215/40’s during aggressive cornering with my ride height.
The harsh ride obviously came from the shorter sidewall.
They would be great for road race, but for a mixture of street/track I’m afraid I’m gonna bend a wheel.
I also feel I’d have more confidence throwing the car harder into a corner with a different wheel/tire setup suited to my driving conditions.

Sam4

WAIT! I mean weight. It's the driver's side that rubbing? What happens when there is a passenger in the car - any rubbing, or equal rubbing? And 40's suck anywhere except an interstate...before they stopped fixing potholes on them too.

WAIT! I mean weight. It's the driver's side that rubbing? What happens when there is a passenger in the car - any rubbing, or equal rubbing? And 40's suck anywhere except an interstate...before they stopped fixing potholes on them too.
It was both, the drivers side was just worse. And I’m not a fat dude at all.