Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rust in hatch. What’s the best way to approach this?

2015 ST with 45k miles has rust bubbling in the hatch and under the hood (picture attached).

Very upset about it considering how good the molten orange paint looks after polishing and waxing it..

Since it is a 2015, I am outside of the corrosion warranty. That said, what’s my best option here? Do I:

A) Get it fixed ASAP. This feels like it’ll be very expensive at a time where the rust really isn’t noticeable

B) Keep an eye on it and fix it when it becomes more apparent to the casual eye

Any kind of range in price I should expect to pay to have this fixed?

Secondary question what it comes to rust on these parts of the car - are these purely cosmetic? Or will this turn into a structural/frame/safety issue? I could see myself having body panels repaired due to rust, but frame/structural rust seems like a whole other ballgame in terms of cost.

Attachments

I am of the opinion that the sooner your address rust the lower the cost for repair due to it being a simple sand blast and paint job. Wait until you have areas that have rusted thru and you either replace the hatch or pay big $$$ to have an expert TIG weld and grind the area.

Mike King

U.S. Air Force Veteran
2015 ST with 45k miles has rust bubbling in the hatch and under the hood (picture attached).

Very upset about it considering how good the molten orange paint looks after polishing and waxing it..

Since it is a 2015, I am outside of the corrosion warranty. That said, what’s my best option here? Do I:

A) Get it fixed ASAP. This feels like it’ll be very expensive at a time where the rust really isn’t noticeable

B) Keep an eye on it and fix it when it becomes more apparent to the casual eye

Any kind of range in price I should expect to pay to have this fixed?

Secondary question what it comes to rust on these parts of the car - are these purely cosmetic? Or will this turn into a structural/frame/safety issue? I could see myself having body panels repaired due to rust, but frame/structural rust seems like a whole other ballgame in terms of cost.
Once the cancer starts, there is no stopping it. Yes you can patch it or fill it but it will come back. Best hope is to get a non cancer hatch and have it painted. If you go this route, coat the inside where the water will get with POR15 before hand.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Talked with two body shops before having it covered by ford. Both said since it's from the inside out, grinding and repainting will only buy time. They replaced the doors and hatch completely.