Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

S280 hotness

OP
MO15Fiesta
Thread Starter #5
What is the launch control device you're using? Is it through your AP? If so, how do you use it?
Yes it is through the accessport! As long as the cruise control is off, it engages anytime the clutch is all the way down and the accelerator pedal is floored. Currently it is set at 4750rpm.

Yes it is through the accessport! As long as the cruise control is off, it engages anytime the clutch is all the way down and the accelerator pedal is floored. Currently it is set at 4750rpm.
Oh dang! I want to try it but it sounds so scary if it doesn't activate! Same with the flat footed shifting, been scared to test either. Thanks man!

Have you tried messing with the flat foot shifting RPM? Mine is set at 5000 and shifts like yours. Sounds like it pretty much cuts out between shifts and maybe if it revved up a bit rather than cut out, it may give more of a boost between shifts like old school flat foot speed shifting. The rev flare between shifts sprung the car forward every shift which results in much quicker boost recovery and little to no boost loss between shifts rather than a full fuel cut and boost drop.

OP
MO15Fiesta
Thread Starter #9
Have you tried messing with the flat foot shifting RPM? Mine is set at 5000 and shifts like yours. Sounds like it pretty much cuts out between shifts and maybe if it revved up a bit rather than cut out, it may give more of a boost between shifts like old school flat foot speed shifting. The rev flare between shifts sprung the car forward every shift which results in much quicker boost recovery and little to no boost loss between shifts rather than a full fuel cut and boost drop.
I have not played with the RPM at all. The pause between shifts is bothersome because I know I'm shifting faster than that.

Too bad it wasn't configurable to just do ignition cut instead of fuel. Gives you an antilag effect to keep spooled more, but still more gentle on the clutch/gearbox.

I have not played with the RPM at all. The pause between shifts is bothersome because I know I'm shifting faster than that.
I'm sure it's costing you 10ths and MPH. Try increasing the NLTS rpm threshold and see what happens. I'm thinking if you set it at or just above your hard redline it should shift much quicker since it wont be waiting for rpms to drop to the current threshold set which is default 5Krpm. Even though your shifting quick enough for rpms not to fall much between shifts, the rpms just hang while the injectors are shut off. IGN cut or timing retard AKA antilag between shifts would be the cats pajamas. The added flame pop between shifts would be a plus too. Lol

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Too bad it wasn't configurable to just do ignition cut instead of fuel. Gives you an antilag effect to keep spooled more, but still more gentle on the clutch/gearbox.
Not that MO15Fiesta, or anyone else going for ultimate records would necessarily worry about it, but isn't that as hard on the whole turbo; frame/housing/impeller and turbine blades/etc. as an actual anti-lag system?

(Or not quite because of the lack of extra fuel being injected during the ignition cut?? [dunno])

Possibly, but thats the price of admission. Any real racer probably doesn't worry much about it IMO. I've killed a few turbo's in my DSM days pushing the limits. Comes with the territory and you learn from the carnage on how far and how long you can push the envelope. Also this is mostly for track passes where you're trying to squeeze out every last ounce of performance. Between shifts the time would be so minimal during a drag pass. Now if you were rallying the abuse could mount up quickly.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Now if you were rallying the abuse could mount up quickly.
This is true, as the teams/builders in the WRC were forced to 'tame' (or at least make their anti-lag systems much more turbo friendly) when the FIA made rules limiting the amount of times the teams could change out a turbo during an event.

Not that MO15Fiesta, or anyone else going for ultimate records would necessarily worry about it, but isn't that as hard on the whole turbo; frame/housing/impeller and turbine blades/etc. as an actual anti-lag system?

(Or not quite because of the lack of extra fuel being injected during the ignition cut?? [dunno])
Its just as you imagined, and Mega ST mentioned. It can be as tame or as violent as you want to tune it to be. I usually stayed on the conservative side. Some people would add so much fuel and reduce timing to the point where most of the combustion event was happening way past 20-30 degrees top dead center. I never got to play with variable cam timing too, but I suppose you could really push the heat out of the cylinders and into the turbine/exhaust housing.

Mega ST, been to enough DSM shootouts to know which people are getting mighty aggressive with the antilag settings. They just sound violent. Usually at some point during that weekend race you'd see some dead turbskis. They also tended to be guys with turbo sponsors though so no sweat off their back. I never killed a turbo personally with 60k miles on a 59mm borg warner.