Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

S280 install vacuum line confusion.

Hey guys, I installed my s280 today! I used the turbotechnics dual port plumb back and connected its barb to the vacuum line that would connect to the s280 bov adapter plate. Is this correct? I'm not getting much response from the BOV and am hearing a good bit of turbo flutter. Will play with the spring some more tomorrow, but have it set very soft.

OP
S
Thread Starter #2
Attached is an image, unfortunately taken before I actually put the vacuum line on. But the section of the boost control solenoid missing its line is what I connected to the top of the BOV.

Attachments

dhminer

2000 Post Club
The boost solenoid does not connect to the BOV. The 3 ports on the solenoid are boost reference (connected to turbo), wastegate actuator, and recirculate (connected to the intake elbow). The BOV connects to the MAP sensor adapter that you should’ve received in the BOV kit. It goes on the intake manifold and runs down to the BOV.

OP
S
Thread Starter #7
The boost solenoid does not connect to the BOV. The 3 ports on the solenoid are boost reference (connected to turbo), wastegate actuator, and recirculate (connected to the intake elbow). The BOV connects to the MAP sensor adapter that you should’ve received in the BOV kit. It goes on the intake manifold and runs down to the BOV.

Thank you so much for your input man. Here's what has me confused now. In the reference pic you can see how one of the lines goes to the BOV adapter plate, but with the plumb back I only have 1 nipple. I do have a vacuum tap kit I ordered just in case. But if I do that where would I put the line for the boost solenoid?

Attachments

OP
S
Thread Starter #8
For the most part there seems to be a line to the adapter plate as well as a line to the BOV.

Attachments

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Leaving it open like Jason said is totally fine. If you’re anal, you can get a quick tap and put it on the turbo inlet elbow but it’s really not necessary.

As stated, you no longer run a hose from the BOV to the solenoid. The BOV needs run to a vacuum reference at the intake. The port on the solenoid, previously run to the stock BOV, won't be used.

Right now, what's happening is your BOV is not being opened by vacuum, so the turbo flutters when the car transitions from boost to vacuum, with not BOV relief.

All that said, you will still get turbo flutter, aka turkey gobbler sounds, with the S280. How much depends on your intake, exhaust manifold, etc.

I actually have a question now.

I'm currently using a Turbosmart Kompact BPV in place of the factory BPV. It mounts to the stock turbo just like the factory one, and is vacuum referenced with a vacuum tap on the intake. If I were to use this BPV with an S280 setup, what vacuum source gets hooked up to the vacuum nipple on the BPV adaptor plate in the kit? Assuming that adaptor plate was designed for use of the factory BPV, why is there even a vacuum nipple on it? The factory BPV is fully electronic.