Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

S280? or GTX2860/67

Hey guys, new to the forum however I have done a lot of digging in regards to this question. I have a 2015 FiST and in need of some cooler turbo noises and more power. I have been contemplating the Garrett series turbos or the TT S280, my goal is with bigger injectors or AUX fueling to hit a steady 350WHP (with an Ethanol blend of course). Any suggestions from experience? I can read the numbers and the forums everywhere but i’m more interested in hearing from people that have driven with these types of set ups. But any new information helps!! Thanks guys🤟🏼

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
The S280 is where it's at. The spool is unbeatable. Both turbos will max out the stock engine. Video of my s280 car sitting comfortably on top of the 60-130 leaderboard :)

View: https://youtu.be/saxzgfl_yRk
I think it would have been quicker if you started at a lower RPM, no? Did it hit full spool that quick? Brake boost/etc and I think 8.9x would be easy.

OP
AustinD99
Thread Starter #4
The S280 is where it's at. The spool is unbeatable. Both turbos will max out the stock engine. Video of my s280 car sitting comfortably on top of the 60-130 leaderboard :)

View: https://youtu.be/saxzgfl_yRk
Now i’m this case of running an S280, im still fully capable of getting over the 300whp hump? Also, if you don’t mind me asking who are you tuned by? Im aware that your tuner is just as important as the mechanical factor behind making power. I’m tuned through Stratified atm!

I think it would have been quicker if you started at a lower RPM, no? Did it hit full spool that quick? Brake boost/etc and I think 8.9x would be easy.
Unfortunately no, I've been trying different strategies. Brake boosting around 55-56mph seems to yield the best results. It was making full boost by the time it got to 60.

Now i’m this case of running an S280, im still fully capable of getting over the 300whp hump? Also, if you don’t mind me asking who are you tuned by? Im aware that your tuner is just as important as the mechanical factor behind making power. I’m tuned through Stratified atm!
My car makes 360-370whp, so yes easily capable of that. I am tuned by Adam at tune+.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey guys, new to the forum however I have done a lot of digging in regards to this question. I have a 2015 FiST and in need of some cooler turbo noises and more power. I have been contemplating the Garrett series turbos or the TT S280, my goal is with bigger injectors or AUX fueling to hit a steady 350WHP (with an Ethanol blend of course). Any suggestions from experience? I can read the numbers and the forums everywhere but i’m more interested in hearing from people that have driven with these types of set ups. But any new information helps!! Thanks guys🤟🏼
I have had both setups on my car (with 4-port auxiliary fuel). Both turbo kits are capable of 350WHP very reasonably. I would recommend the S280 if you like having torque below 4k RPM and want to keep the original character of the Fiesta ST. Just be prepared to replace your transmission eventually like me. As someone who has also tuned with Stratified, my only comment would be that you should be prepared for the tuning process to take months which was unacceptable for me.

OP
AustinD99
Thread Starter #8
I have had both setups on my car (with 4-port auxiliary fuel). Both turbo kits are capable of 350WHP very reasonably. I would recommend the S280 if you like having torque below 4k RPM and want to keep the original character of the Fiesta ST. Just be prepared to replace your transmission eventually like me. As someone who has also tuned with Stratified, my only comment would be that you should be prepared for the tuning process to take months which was unacceptable for me.
Thank you for the info, what was the reasoning behind the need for a trans replacement? Too much fun I presume? Also, was there any reason given to you for the long tuning process? I’m not in a rush as I would prefer it to be done correctly the first time.. However, MONTHS is most definitely a bit excessive

Do you mind letting us know why 350WHP is your goal? @MO15Fiesta can confirm but i think you need a HPFP to be paired with uprated injectors to reach past 350WHP. Injectors alone on a Ethanol blend usually gets the engine into the 320-340WHP range.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Do you mind letting us know why 350WHP is your goal? @MO15Fiesta can confirm but i think you need a HPFP to be paired with uprated injectors to reach past 350WHP. Injectors alone on an Ethanol blend usually gets the engine into the 320-340WHP range.
This is true, I hit 300whp and 340 WTQ on a E30 blend. I too am tuned by Adam@TunePlus, with just injectors I would pick up an extra dyno proven 30-40 whp per Adam’s own words.
So ya injectors and HpFP would get you where you want to go no problem.
P.S. I love my S280 powered FiST even just on 91!

OP
AustinD99
Thread Starter #12
Do you mind letting us know why 350WHP is your goal? @MO15Fiesta can confirm but i think you need a HPFP to be paired with uprated injectors to reach past 350WHP. Injectors alone on an Ethanol blend usually gets the engine into the 320-340WHP range.
I’m primarily going to be running on 91 octane in which case 300whp is perfectly ok! However the extra HP I would like to have for “fun”. I typically cruise with some friends in Golf R’s and Focus RS’s as well as one friend in particular who has a supercharged E46 M3. Being able to “keep up” is the added goal of 350whp, lol.

OP
AustinD99
Thread Starter #13
This is true, I hit 300whp and 340 WTQ on a E30 blend. I too am tuned by Adam@TunePlus, with just injectors I would pick up an extra dyno proven 30-40 whp per Adam’s own words.
So ya injectors and HpFP would get you where you want to go no problem.
P.S. I love my S280 powered FiST even just on 91!
Hearing positive feedback and advice from someone who is using the kit i’m looking to get really helps me out. That’s what my hopes of creating this thread was for, thank you!🤟🏼

Hearing positive feedback and advice from someone who is using the kit i’m looking to get really helps me out. That’s what my hopes of creating this thread was for, thank you!🤟🏼
something else to keep in mind:

if you got Garrett, you're gonna want a v-band adapted manifold. everyone who has bothered posting about it here says that if they could do it over again they would've gotten a v-band adapted manifold from the start. WOR fabricators takes the OEM fiesta manifold and adapts it to fit the GTX2860. the S280 is perfectly happy with the OEM manifold.

people on here who stick with the 2860 point out ball bearing turbo reliability vs journal bearing turbo (the S280). others push back how some 2860 owners eventually switch to the S280 or some go whole hog and get the g25-550 (this should be taken with a grain of salt though. the S280/whoosh hybrid crowd is more conservative than the Garrett crowd when it comes to mods. many 2860 owners have no problems working on their engines every month or trying new setups every couple years so they may be moving on just because and not necessarily due to not liking the setup)

edit: from what i've gathered over the past year, the S280 is kinda what the 1.6L shoulda been all along. and the limitations of that turbo can't really be reached unless you completely rebuild the engine (which only a very small handful of people are doing). however if you do reach/exceed those limitations or you're going for full-on tuner big turbo feel, the Garrett will eat up whatever you throw at it. but i've yet to drive/be driven in either setup. FWIW i have an S280 sitting in my basement waiting to be installed but i seriously contemplated the 2860 for a very long time.

Last edited:
OP
AustinD99
Thread Starter #15
something else to keep in mind:

if you got Garrett, you're gonna want a v-band adapted manifold. everyone who has bothered posting about it here says that if they could do it over again they would've gotten a v-band adapted manifold from the start. WOR fabricators takes the OEM fiesta manifold and adapts it to fit the GTX2860. the S280 is perfectly happy with the OEM manifold.

people on here who stick with the 2860 point out ball bearing turbo reliability vs journal bearing turbo (the S280). others push back how some 2860 owners eventually switch to the S280 or some go whole hog and get the g25-550 (this should be taken with a grain of salt though. the S280/whoosh hybrid crowd is more conservative than the Garrett crowd when it comes to mods. many 2860 owners have no problems working on their engines every month or trying new setups every couple years so they may be moving on just because and not necessarily due to not liking the setup)

edit: from what i've gathered over the past year, the S280 is kinda what the 1.6L shoulda been all along. and the limitations of that turbo can't really be reached unless you completely rebuild the engine (which only a very small handful of people are doing). however if you do reach/exceed those limitations or you're going for full-on tuner big turbo feel, the Garrett will eat up whatever you throw at it. but i've yet to drive/be driven in either setup. FWIW i have an S280 sitting in my basement waiting to be installed but i seriously contemplated the 2860 for a very long time.
Thank you so much for all this information as it’s been a rough month or two debating which route i should take. With that all, i’m trying to do everything “right” as I have limited time and money but still extremely interested in getting my hands on a boosted car. Full time college and full time job whilst still having the time and money to venture down new avenues with the FiST is a handful! Everyone’s experience/opinions make a huge difference to me. Thank you!🤟🏼

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thank you so much for all this information as it’s been a rough month or two debating which route i should take. With that all, i’m trying to do everything “right” as I have limited time and money but still extremely interested in getting my hands on a boosted car. Full time college and full time job whilst still having the time and money to venture down new avenues with the FiST is a handful! Everyone’s experience/opinions make a huge difference to me. Thank you!🤟🏼
Start budgeting now for a Clarke Tranmission* Id try to even do it before your OEM one goes down and breaks the input shaft. Ask me how i know....I was Running a Gen2 GTX2860r ATP kit with 4port Aux on E50 and it went and became lawn art. Now im DHM360R W/ Tubular manifold & EWG w/ .52 ss TIAL Exhaust housing with 4 port Aux and 90 lb injectors that are not offered anymore i'm told. Also Stepped up to Phul performance Rs Coil packs with Custom hold down brackets to ignite the Corny/e85 stuff better. Still on my 93 AUX TUNE currently as its too cold to Hook up with even an mfactory LSD. So pick your poison! Both choices are excellent and will get you where you wanna be.

OP
AustinD99
Thread Starter #18
Start budgeting now for a Clarke Tranmission* Id try to even do it before your OEM one goes down and breaks the input shaft. Ask me how i know....I was Running a Gen2 GTX2860r ATP kit with 4port Aux on E50 and it went and became lawn art. Now im DHM360R W/ Tubular manifold & EWG w/ .52 ss TIAL Exhaust housing with 4 port Aux and 90 lb injectors that are not offered anymore i'm told. Also Stepped up to Phul performance Rs Coil packs with Custom hold down brackets to ignite the Corny/e85 stuff better. Still on my 93 AUX TUNE currently as its too cold to Hook up with even an mfactory LSD. So pick your poison! Both choices are excellent and will get you where you wanna be.
I’ve done a trans rebuild on my tacoma, as well as a full front diff rebuild. How much more complex would the little FiST be? Have you had to “upgrade” your clutch at all? I’ve seen some people use the clutches from our Euro friends the ST200.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I’ve done a trans rebuild on my tacoma, as well as a full front diff rebuild. How much more complex would the little FiST be? Have you had to “upgrade” your clutch at all? I’ve seen some people use the clutches from our Euro friends the ST200.
Yeap....I went with the RTS Dual friction clutch kit. It is SMF not DMF like OEM is. Its been great so far.Its all preference in the end of the day. The OEM clutch setup i feel is Sloppy and Slow to react with all its mass flinging around. My Clarke unit has WPC treatment and Carbon fiber synchros now with a Mfactory LSD. Im an Ex-tech but dont wanna buy a press and deal with taking it all off the shaft and re-assembling it. I dont have alot of time for that so i just had Colby @ Clarke build me one. Less headache.