Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Serpentine Belt Failure

Myron

My 2014 Fiesta ST with 46K miles lost its serpentine belt while I was on the freeway. The symptom was a lack of power. I managed to pull over and call for AAA and had it towed to a shop. There they diagnosed it as a failed serpentine belt resulting in needing a replacement idler pulley and A/C compressor among other things. They also said it may have overheated. In any event it was a $1,800 bill. Fortunately, the head gasket was ok.

Was surprised as I had it serviced in February and (with Covid 19 restrictions) drove it less than a thousand miles. Will keep an eye on this replacement belt, maybe have it changed by the time it gets to 80K.

SrsBsns

This happened to me on my old car and it led to an overheat.
$1,800 seems pretty steep, depending on what they did. If the HG is OK, I'm assuming it didn't overheat.

Is the car stock? I'm surprised that the belt broke on you with less than 50K on it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I was even thinking about changing this out way early on mine maybe even with new idlers as well, but I am at only ~26K right now.
I will probably wait until at least 35K-40K to do this.

It was really easy to do on my 4th gen f body's LS1, to the point that I just changed them out at 20K intervals as a cheap preventative maintenance precaution.

It does not seem quite as simple to DIY on this car. [:(]

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I was even thinking about changing this out way early on mine maybe even with new idlers as well, but I am at only ~26K right now.
I will probably wait until at least 35K-40K to do this.

It was really easy to do on my 4th gen f body's LS1, to the point that I just changed them out at 20K intervals as a cheap preventative maintenance precaution.

It does not seem quite as simple to DIY on this car. [:(]
With the passenger headlight out its a lot easier than it looks. Idler is bolted to the alternator. Just need to pull the splash tray for the belt .

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Changing mine in a few days. Is JK6414-A the correct Motorcraft part number for 2014 ST? Thanks.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is the Motorcraft belt the top tier/strongest option for us, or is the Conti 'Gatorback' style (they bought out Goodyear's ancillary parts business years ago) a better choice?

I will use an actual genuine Ford idler assembly though. [wink]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I wondered what happened to Goodyear's Gatorback belt. Had that in my previous car, for what seemed like 'ever' until a bolt holding the alternator, backed out into the belt's path. Couldn't find another GY-GB replacement at the time.

Side note, I can't imagine a serpentine belt failure, taking out an A/C compressor. So either they padded the bill or something went wrong with that compressor. The auto setting likes to run the blower motor on minimum speed setting. I always try to set the blower to 50% minimum when the compressor is running. (even though it should activate the engine fan) I only use it to drop the humidity during/after a rain (anti-mold); almost never for cooling the cabin since I LOVE >90°F weather.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
YOU GUYS CAN'T ALL BE ON THE SAME PAGE. THATS A BELT THAT IS OVER 7 YEARS OLD. AND ITS PREMATURE FAILURE? STOP IT

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My car was just over 7yrs old in Sep and now has 98,000 miles. I'm changing it now along with all the fluids and transmission oil. Going to try the Ravelon as my mechanic at the dealership used it on one of his cars, a Honda and he recommended it too.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
My car was just over 7yrs old in Sep and now has 98,000 miles. I'm changing it now along with all the fluids and transmission oil. Going to try the Ravelon as my mechanic at the dealership used it on one of his cars, a Honda and he recommended it too.
Smart.