Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shavings in oil

Should I be worried? Just changed my oil took a look at the leftovers in the bottom of the pail and saw this! Hope it’s not a sign of bad news any feedback would be appreciated

Attachments

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Not looking too good. Ditto on the mileage and is this the first time? Also,what brand & weight of oil have you been using?

OP
GreenthumbTim
Thread Starter #5
It has 36000miles using Castrol Edge 5w20 oil changes every 3000 stage 2 Mountune

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Send the oil in Blackstone....The results will set you free. Its about $30+ for a test. What year is it also? If it is the engine it will be under powertrain of 5 years or 60k. Good luck....keep us updated!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I hope its from your oil filter. What did the oil filter look like afterwards pretty tore up or what?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

CSM

1000 Post Club
This literally just happened to me. I did an oil change in september, noticed flakes in the drain pan when I was done, freaked out a bit.

Decided to change oil again at 2k interval and I sent off a sample for analysis by Blackstone. Everything came back fine. Nothing major.

In the end it was the oil wrench likely ripping up the OEM filter. I just saw the aftermath.

Moral of story - do another oil change in 1.5-2k, send off sample, if particulate analysis comes back well over universal averages then you know you have an issue. But you're probably fine

Caterpillar will analyze it too, any local dealer will do it or send it off, it’s like $20 and another $15 for more thorough checks.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Wow let's hope it's the filter. You must have chewed it up pretty bad if it made its way into the oil. The maddening work that is changing our filter led me to stop using the kinda filter wrench that puts it into a choke hold. Get the one that's a cup that attaches to a ratchet. Those don't have teeth and can't peirce the filter.

OP
GreenthumbTim
Thread Starter #17
Mine is a metal tooth wrench that chews the shit out of them. Definitely have gotten shavings in my eye from it slipping and it being a tight space. Just haven’t got a better one I’m definitely going to change the oil in a couple thousand and check the oil before I change the filter. It doesn’t make any weird noises and no negative corrections past the rare -2* I’ll see from time to time. Car only make like 22lbs of boost on 91 here in az though... 🤷🏽‍♂️

OP
GreenthumbTim
Thread Starter #18
Wow let's hope it's the filter. You must have chewed it up pretty bad if it made its way into the oil. The maddening work that is changing our filter led me to stop using the kinda filter wrench that puts it into a choke hold. Get the one that's a cup that attaches to a ratchet. Those don't have teeth and can't peirce the filter.
My drain pan is right under the filter when I wrench it off to collect the oil...

OP
GreenthumbTim
Thread Starter #19
I hav
How can you tear up an oil filter that badly? Did you grind it off?
I have a shitty tool with teeth that slips back and forth between settings and it’s a tight grab in our cars it’s not that crazy I’m just a fool

This is what the first oil change looked like on my car. The factory put that sucker on so tight I was lifting up on the car trying to get it off. I tighten them by hand now, they come off much easier, lol
The bits in my drain pan look similar to yours. I'm willing to bet you're right and its metal from the oil filter.

IMG_6629.JPG