Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shift cable clip broken off, Ford says buy a whole new assembly.

TLDR shift cable retainer clip broke off, no longer have reverse gear, Ford says buy a new cable assembly. 5D5F6EE8-F904-428F-B9C6-E97E750B91DD.jpeg

I installed Boomba bushings on my transmission and shifter this morning, and broke off a tiny clip on one of the shifter cable arms (pic above) which I think has stopped me from being able to hold the reverse gear.

I’ve scoured the forums as well as called Ford, who basically told me I need a completely new shift cable assembly. I still have the clip with the retaining arms broken off, and it does still sit loosely on the threads of the cable arm, so I’m thinking of just trying to ziptie it in place for now.

I’m curious if anyone has run into this issue and been able to fix it without having to order a $90 part and replace everything? Any help would be super appreciated as I’m brand new to working on cars and would really love not to have to pay for a new part, let alone a tow to the shop.