Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shifter setups

So I just got a coolerworks short shifter, as much of a pita as it was to install I love it. The car did have the fswerks short shift plate which was nice but...the coolerworks deff changes the experience a bit. My curiosity got the best of me and I'm wondering what shifter setups do y'all run?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Most say that you should (must??) get rid of any other short shifter plates when installing the Coolerworx, but maybe the other owners of that shifter will chime in on whether or not that is a necessity.

I have only the Mountune 30% reduction plate installed, and could not ask for anything else as far as 'feel', effort, 'shift action', throw, and lack of 'notchiness' goes (but most with your new toy cannot stop raving about it!). [wink]

I have the whoosh short shift adapter with the boomba shift handle and I love it. Easy install and factory appearance.
I'm sure its not nearly as good as the coolerworks, but for less than half the cost, its good enough

AlanMac

Thinking of getting the Mountune short shift... Is it easy/possible to revert if I don't like the feel? Just wondering considering they provide a tool to extract the OEM ball stud... How easy is it to put back in? I've done a bit of work on bicycles in the past but I generally don't mess with stuff under the hood! I'm guessing the install is a bit fiddly but doable if you take your time and read the instructions?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thinking of getting the Mountune short shift... Is it easy/possible to revert if I don't like the feel? Just wondering considering they provide a tool to extract the OEM ball stud... How easy is it to put back in? I've done a bit of work on bicycles in the past but I generally don't mess with stuff under the hood! I'm guessing the install is a bit fiddly but doable if you take your time and read the instructions?
You would have to Press the ball back in. You will NEVER GO BACK once its installed. Like I have said before its the Next best thing since sliced bread for the Shifter adapter setups out there. I have tried 3 Of the others which were all similar in design and didn't like them one bit. Installed the Mountune Adapter and haven't looked back and its been 60k. Good luck!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, it was a bit of a pain to do (like harder than getting a perfect bearing/cup race clearance adjustment on an OLD, [actually ancient at this point LOL], style Campy Record bottom bracket, to make a cycling comparison [wink]), and I never even tried to go back to stock, for as Typhoon FiST above has stated, it is SOOOO great that I would NEVER EVER want to! [nono]

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Last edited:

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Like I stated before the car had the fswerks short shifter and it felt good in fact great. But I kinda wanted something a little more race car like.
Got any pics of them? I'd like to see what they look like.

Wait, never mind.
1609202288895.png 1609202324802.png
Wow! You went the full Monty! Yeah, it's race car-like! (y)

Last edited:
OP
zumakid70cc
Thread Starter #10

Attachments

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'd LOVE to eventually install one of those as well, but like I told everyone else that has one in the thread about them; it looks SOOOO absolutely 'full race' that it looks very out of place in a factory interior car (to me at least), especially one with base seats like mine.

If I ever got one, I would then have to replace the seats with at least race shell style recliners, if not full race spec shell, one piece seats, along with a race aftermarket alcantara/suede steering wheel, just to make the Coolerworx seem congruent. LOL

Of course there is NO arguing on the insanely great shift action of this thing, in and of itself, regardless of aesthetics. [wink] [thumb]

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Zero complaints for the FSWERKS i've been running for the last 4 years. I have it set to 15% to thoeritically spare my synchros.

AlanMac

Zero complaints for the FSWERKS i've been running for the last 4 years. I have it set to 15% to thoeritically spare my synchros.
Not sure what you mean? Surely the gear control cable is moving the same distance despite the shorter shift and your gearbox is oblivious to what's happening? Open to correction on this of course...

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Anyone have any good videos of the coolerworx in action? Interested in this shifter but not an impulse buy at that price point.

OP
zumakid70cc
Thread Starter #16
Not sure what you mean? Surely the gear control cable is moving the same distance despite the shorter shift and your gearbox is oblivious to what's happening? Open to correction on this of course...
Every manual trans has forks that move back and forth pushing the gears in and out with out syncros help get the next gear spinning. With out them you'd be grinding gears like a mofo or have straight cut gears.

AlanMac

Every manual trans has forks that move back and forth pushing the gears in and out with out syncros help get the next gear spinning. With out them you'd be grinding gears like a mofo or have straight cut gears.
Wasn't really my question... how's shortening the throw of the gear lever by 15% going to spare (or have any effect on for that matter) the synchros? A short shifter simply changes the fulcrum point of the shifter - that change will not effect anything mechanical - as long as your foot (to disengage clutch) can keep up to your arm (changing gear). I could achieve the same effect by shortening my arm... At considerably more expense & inconvenience.

Last edited:

the duke

Naah, just learn to double-clutch. Synchros weren't used for about half of the car's life.

Or run a seamless like a motorcycle. Don't even need a clutch to shift.