Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Should I return this Fiesta ST to the Dealer?

Looked at a 2016 Fiesta ST with 28k miles. Only apparent mods were a Boomba BOV adapter (or BOV - haven’t been able to remove the wheel to check yet) and Boomba sound symposer delete. Also had some Cobb stickers but had no accessport and no other apparent Cobb mods (such as intake, exhaust etc.) so I believe it was unmarried and returned to the stock tune. It was traded in on a Dodge Journey when the owner got married. I believe I’m the 2nd owner. The dealer has a 7 day 200 mile return policy and 3 month 3000 mile warranty. The car seems to have been well taken care of and is in good shape cosmetically - doesn’t seem to have been in any accidents. No weird panel gaps or mismatches.

Test drive went great, made an offer for $14200 and they the dealer took it, ended up right around $15k out the door. I pick it up 2 days later, cleaned it up and washed it, and went for a drive. Within 40 miles the shifter was almost completely gone. Managed to get home, towed it back to the dealer and they said they’d look at it. A week and a half later (today) I pick it up. They put in a whole new shifter assembly (so they say - I’m trying to get the paperwork from the salesman) and a new shifter cable and indeed it now shifts great. The cable had popped off while I drove it, leaving me with only 3rd and 5th.

Anyway, it was ready today. I went to drive it home, got 5 miles, and a check engine light illuminated. I turned right around and brought it back. The service manager says they only had 1 technician today so they’ll check the codes tomorrow (I know that’s bull but I wasn’t going to argue since at this point they did probably several hundred bucks worth of work for free).

If this check engine light turns out to just be an unplugged sensor, an evap valve, or something like that, should I keep it? Or would the broken shifter cable and CEL make you just tell them to return it? Under what sort of CEL issues would you 100% definitely return it? I really do like the car, but it has literally been in the shop for all but 1 day in the span of about 2 weeks.

Once I get it back (again) I’m going to have a local mechanic I personally know inspect the thing up on a lift. I know cars well enough to do small fixes and most maintenance and mods myself, but I don’t want to replace an engine or transmission in this thing.

TLDR: just got car, shifter cable problem and then CEL - would you just tell them to return the car?

UPDATE: CEL was a completely burned catalytic converter. It's going back. I always thought it smelled like it was running a bit rich but this confirmed my suspicions. If it burned a cat in under 30k miles it was probably tuned like complete dogass and that motor has probably taken a severe beating. I was on the fence but I am now 100% giving this hunk back. I learned a lot about car buying through this experience though. I'll never buy a modded car from a dealer - they have no idea what has been modded and they just rush cars through their "300 point" inspection in 45 minutes. If I look at Fiestas again I'm buying completely stock ONLY. I think I'm just gonna buy a cheap NB Miata and keep my Lincoln for now. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
NOPE.....Shit happens. Bring it to your Mechanic and do an independent inspection. Was this a CPO vehicle? But if your that sour about it...give it back on your own terms NOT anyone else's.

OP
J
Thread Starter #3
NOPE.....Shit happens. Bring it to your Mechanic and do an independent inspection. Was this a CPO vehicle? But if your that sour about it...give it back on your own terms NOT anyone else's.
Not CPO. I've worked in dealerships since high school, I've seen this kind of thing happen even with new vehicles the moment they're off the lot. I understand that the shifter cable is a fairly common repair, but I'm a bit superstitious I guess. Nobody in my family has had so much as a warranty claim on any newer Ford - they're all we buy. My 04 F-150 has over 300k miles on it. I've always been a Ford guy but I'm concerned my luck might've ran out with this one and I'm not sure if I just want to wash my hands and buy one that is completely stock.

If it were me I'd probably return it and look for a unmolested one. You never know how careless the previous owner was when he retuned the car to stock. Thinking back on modded cars I've traded in, I would rip the parts off as fast as possible. I cant imagine many people would take extra care when demodding a trade in

If you don't need a car right this moment, I would personally return it - peace of mind is priceless and $15k for a 2016 doesn't seem like a great deal to me in the first place...

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
If you don't need a car right this moment, I would personally return it - peace of mind is priceless and $15k for a 2016 doesn't seem like a great deal to me in the first place...
My 2017 in excellent condition blue books for 14800. Obviously the dealership wasn't trying to price gouge too much. Probably just set price to pay overhead on it. Seems to me like a fair price from a dealership, could have definitely gotten it cheaper from a forum member.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
I'd keep the car. You got it at fair market value and when you buy used cars you always assume used responsibility. Things happen, keep it and enjoy but take it to your mechanic. I'd still have the dealership you got it from do the work but pay the mechanic to give you that added security that everything the dealership knows is wrong with the car you know.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I bought mine with some crazy intermittent start problems. I was persistent about them fixing it and they had a 30 day window where they would cover every everything. I made sure to document at the service department everything I noticed when I test drove the car.

I ended up getting 4 new tires due to a bad alignment, a new starter and they repined my fuse box (that was the problem with the starting, a loose pin) and an oil change and a written agreement that they would fix any starting issues within the next 60 days.

The thing of it is, if you can butter up the service manager, they have the ability to go great lengths on your behalf, and can word things certain ways. They know how to get stuff approved to denied, so be nice, and patient.

Ultimately, its up to you. No sense to keep a car that your not happy with.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Wow, so many variables here. I see it from both viewpoints of return it and keep it, so I'm not much help there.

I too would be cautious of a previously modified vehicle. I would seriously look around the intercooler mounting area, then also look at strut mount area. Basically, look anywhere it could be modded and look for wrench marks/scrapes to see if it had more mods than you think it had. The probability of it having a larger intercooler are high given a Cobb sticker. That's not a big deal and easy to inspect. RMM was probably swapped too. As far as suspension, If it had lower springs or struts, you'll be able to see the wear on the nuts/bolts. A 4 wheel alignment should be done to be sure it's back to normal.

I would want to know about the previous owner and what type driver he was.

is it possible to find out if the previous owner was a member on this Forum and look up their posts about said vehicle. Same for FB.
Anybody buy his old parts in the last few months? Browse or search the FOR SALE section.... Can we search by area/city? You can generically search by year, but I imagine the result would be massive.

I agree on why the fvck he bought a Mopar anything. I loved Mopar in the 60s and 70s. My last Mopar was a 73 Charger. None since then and no way I'd have another now or again. Same for GM.

Good luck on your decision. Just one question to ask yourself. Think of the worst that could happen if you kept it or sold it.

Could you live with that result?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is this from a Ford dealer?
Any way you could convince them to “dig into the ECU” to check and see if it’s been tuned prior? I’m sure they can check the number of ECU resets to see if it matches up with warranty work, mileage, etc..

Wow, so many variables here. ...

Good luck on your decision. Just one question to ask yourself. Think of the worst that could happen if you kept or sold it.

Could you live with that result?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
This is probably the best question to ask yourself in making the decision...and how much you enjoy risk taking.

When it comes to cars with either a turbo or supercharger I really like to purchase new even though I know I am loosing money driving off the lot. I have two vehicles that are turbo charged and one car that has a supercharger. Bought new so I could break in the way I wanted and mod the way I wanted. Now for the Fiesta guessing no new 2019 sitting on lots anymore so you have no choice but to go used. If you could find a 2018-2019 that still had some factory warranty on it you can get and extended warranty added on yourself and not through a dealership and save allot of money. I have an extended warranty on my Edge ST I bought from the below link, and my 2014 escape that I sold to buy the Edge had an extended warranty from the link below. My 2 cents is take it back ! if this many issues this soon what happens in 6 months. Find a clean 18/19 under 36K miles and extended the warranty so you have piece of mind even if just for one year, unless your going to mod it than the warranty won't help much on powertrain issues unless you have the right Ford dealer.

https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/process/quickquote.aspx?type=primary

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Honestly unless the PO was a total ding dong these engines seem to be pretty tough. Electrics and sensors..... Not so much. Lol.

These engines are not that tough when boosted to much, way too many posts about pistons letting go and cracked cylinder towers. Yeah, they will make 300 HP for 20-30K miles but beyond that it's a total crap shoot.

I don't like the fact that the car in question had an aftermarket BOV. Come on, without a lot of other parts and work that BOV does nothing for the power. IMO it's a really safe bet that the previous owner had a higher capacity turbo on the car and was probably making 300 or more HP. I would not touch this car with a 10 foot pole. So, take it back.