Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Simoniz glasscoat

When I purchased my FiST in April I was swindled into getting the paint coated in Simoniz Glasscoat. The body shop at the dealer told me that all I had to do to maintain it was spray it with the hose (without soap) and wipe it with a microfiber if I was inclined to do so. Can anyone tell me how I can maintain the glasscoat beyond spraying it down? Can I maintain it the same way as without glasscoat?

Modern Marvels video of glasscoat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX5bKrorIXA

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
When I purchased my FiST in April I was swindled into getting the paint coated in Simoniz Glasscoat. The body shop at the dealer told me that all I had to do to maintain it was spray it with the hose (without soap) and wipe it with a microfiber if I was inclined to do so. Can anyone tell me how I can maintain the glasscoat beyond spraying it down? Can I maintain it the same way as without glasscoat?

Modern Marvels video of glasscoat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX5bKrorIXA
Once it fully cures treat it like paint. Wash it, wax it, clay bar it once in a while, buff it, etc... The idea and reason they are telling you not to wax is not that it will hurt the finish but because it was meant to be a one time application never worry about wax ever again. So if they tell you to wax it they could be viewed as "oh so the product does not work and I still need to wax!". That is not the case. The product does work, if you do wax you are technically protecting the glass coat from the elements further extending its life. So if you like waxing, go ahead no harm will come to properly applied wax.

No soap? Yikes, what a terrible thing to tell you. Coatings aren't magic and don't make dirt suddenly not scratch paint. Do use soap when you wash. I think the dealer just wanted to make it sound more magical when they told you that.

I'm not terribly familiar with the Simoniz Glasscoat but I've had permanent paint coatings applied by a trusted detailer in my area to both my previous Evo and my Fiesta. I had OptiCoat on the Evo and splurged for 4 coats of Ceramic Pro 9H and a top coat of Ceramic Pro Light on the Fiesta. In both cases the recommendation was the same: frequent washes (with soap) using microfiber only and/or touchless carwashes. BTW touchless carwashes are terrible for wax as they have strong detergents that can strip it, but coatings are unaffected since they have to be polished off. With both of those products, yearly inspections/details were required to keep the warranty active and the car looking polished since they do still get some of the wear and tear that your clearcoat would normally receive.

From searching around a bit, it doesn't sound like the Simoniz is quite as durable and I see some folks saying it was breaking down after less than a year and not performing as well, although that was only a few folks. Personally I would either take it back to the dealer to yell and scream for warranty re-application whenever it appears to be losing its hydrophobic effect or simply care for your car is you normally would with regular waxes and whatnot and just enjoy that it probably gave you a little more protection. Wax won't hurt it, it just won't really offer your paint any more protection if your coating is working correctly. I'd imagine Simoniz offers a lifetime warranty without required inspections since the stuff is pitched through dealers to average folks who are not terribly discerning about their car finish and generally will get rid of their car long before paint problems would appear anyways. The product is also inexpensive and not labor intensive, you mostly just paid for the warranty.

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
Well that's somewhat good to hear. Any suggestions on how to polish out the inevitable scratch? I would assume the glasscoat would need to be reapplied to the area that had been polished out?