Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Slave cylinder replacement issues

Hi, I had my slave cylinder go out on my fiesta at about 135000 miles. Changed it a few months ago but have developed symptoms of improper installation.

On the slave cylinder install we just bolted it in, reassembled and bled the system normally. It worked because the clutch was sticking to the floor before. It still does it occasionally though which is the first symptom.

When I start the car and go to put it into gear it has developed abnormal resistance to going into gear and I have to row the stick through other gears to get it to go into reverse or first gear. Won't go into reverse at all unless I do this first. If I try to put it into gear without rowing through others it will move forward a little bit and won't go into gear. Meaning the clutch is not engaging fully.

I am thinking that the slave cylinder may be leaking into the bell housing, getting fluid on my clutch friction plate, causing it to slip slightly.

Anyone more experienced know what's going on here? And how to install another properly and avoid this situation in the future?

OP
G
Thread Starter #3
Clutch isn't fully disengaging. May try bleeding it more.
Already done tried that

I forgot to mention I am losing brake fluid slowly over time. Not much, took about 2 weeks for the top reservoir to empty, only took a few ounces

Last edited:
Are you missing the little rubber piece that goes onto the end of the hydraulic line that goes into the slave cylinder from the outside of the transmission and then held in with a clip. If i was you I would definitely make sure its there. They dont come with a new slave cylinder and they usually stay inside the old slave on removal. Definitely would cause a slow leak not having it.

OP
G
Thread Starter #5
Are you missing the little rubber piece that goes onto the end of the hydraulic line that goes into the slave cylinder from the outside of the transmission and then held in with a clip. If i was you I would definitely make sure its there. They dont come with a new slave cylinder and they usually stay inside the old slave on removal. Definitely would cause a slow leak not having it.
Going to drop the trans soon, is there anywhere to order this piece if it is missing?

Going to drop the trans soon, is there anywhere to order this piece if it is missing?
You dont have to drop the transmission to check if this part is missing. From the side of the transmission closest to the radiator is where the hydraulic line connects to the transmission and slave cylinder. Theres a metal clip that holds that line in remove clip and line from slave and be ready to hold line above height of master cylinder( have a rag with a zip tie handy to wrap around hydraulic line). If you don't see the little rubber piece on the end of the hydraulic line try sticking a pick into where that line goes into and see if you can feel it in the slave or sneak it out of the slave cylinder. Trans removal not needed for this. If its non existent then problem solved. Not sure what the part number is for that piece but i know from experience it likes to stay with the old slave. Luckily i still had my slave and recovered that part myself.

OP
G
Thread Starter #7
You dont have to drop the transmission to check if this part is missing. From the side of the transmission closest to the radiator is where the hydraulic line connects to the transmission and slave cylinder. Theres a metal clip that holds that line in remove clip and line from slave and be ready to hold line above height of master cylinder( have a rag with a zip tie handy to wrap around hydraulic line). If you don't see the little rubber piece on the end of the hydraulic line try sticking a pick into where that line goes into and see if you can feel it in the slave or sneak it out of the slave cylinder. Trans removal not needed for this. If its non existent then problem solved. Not sure what the part number is for that piece but i know from experience it likes to stay with the old slave. Luckily i still had my slave and recovered that part myself.
Okay will do, thanks very much. Would this cause the problems I said in the initial post or is the slave cylinder failing again? Maybe from improper bleeding

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Absolutely. RonnieC, RonnieC he da man.

Keep in mind this is diagnosis by internet; we're not hands-on. It's potential issue that will need to be verified.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No you must order and brand new line* The only way to get that little rubber piece if you loose your into the abyss of the engine bay or garage floor.

Absolutely. RonnieC, RonnieC he da man.

Keep in mind this is diagnosis by internet; we're not hands-on. It's potential issue that will need to be verified.

Yes just trying to throw some ideas out there I'm just a back yard mechanic that does machine tool and die for a living. I noticed this when I changed my slave figure its a common issue and an easy place to start. Thanks for the love much appreciated šŸ¤˜šŸ˜Ž

Okay will do, thanks very much. Would this cause the problems I said in the initial post or is the slave cylinder failing again? Maybe from improper bleeding
Honestly I have no clue. Ive yet to have that issue. I only changed my slave because I installed an LSD figured while I was in there Id change that since its common to fail. Then decided a new clutch and flywheel wouldnā€™t hurt while I was there as well. Well it hurt the wallet. Hopefully someone who has had that or a similar issue can chime in.

OP
G
Thread Starter #12
Honestly I have no clue. Ive yet to have that issue. I only changed my slave because I installed an LSD figured while I was in there Id change that since its common to fail. Then decided a new clutch and flywheel wouldnā€™t hurt while I was there as well. Well it hurt the wallet. Hopefully someone who has had that or a similar issue can chime in.
Alright yall, the seal is there on the inlet for the slave, so that's not the issue. I bled it again too

Anyone else have any other ideas before I go and change out the slave again? I also had changed the master recently.

Only thing I can think that would cause my issues is the friction plate is contaminated with brake fluid or the slave is damaged

I don't know what else it could be, and can someone please explain the proper way to bleed the slave to avoid damaging the unit if I do go through and change it again