Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Smell after downpipe - potential causes?

After my previous post about the bolt snapping I have the catted downpipe in. Sent it for a quick exhaust leak test, no leak.
The downpipe had the smell of it breaking in for a week or so. I’ve driven the car ~2000 miles and have noticed that it’s starting to smell. The same smell as my buddy’s catless Subaru. It happens when idling or the heat is on when moving.
I’m assuming the gasket is the culprit and needs to be replaced. I scheduled another appointment for an exhaust leak test ASAP - which unfortunately is in 6 days. I’m pretty paranoid of CO poisoning.
If this comes up as no leak, are there any other potential causes?

EDIT: two pertinent things: the car has not been retuned yet, and I stuck my hand in the general vicinity with it running (best I could with the intake in the way) and didn’t feel any air rushing.
could it be the tune?

Last edited:

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
you can get a CO meter at home depot or similar for like 20 bucks, or on amazon. I have one in my trunk, it helped me find that one of the little flappy things in the back was stuck open and letting exhaust in when stopped.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
A aftermarket low cell count made in China catalytic converter is not going to perform like a OEM unit when it comes to emissions.

With that said did you ever fix your broken bolt you didn't update the post? If you did fix the broken bolt did you install new gaskets with the new part or did you reuse the old gasket?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #4
A aftermarket low cell count made in China catalytic converter is not going to perform like a OEM unit when it comes to emissions.

With that said did you ever fix your broken bolt you didn't update the post? If you did fix the broken bolt did you install new gaskets with the new part or did you reuse the old gasket?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Broken bolt was fixed. Turbo was pulled and brought to a mechanic to weld out. Oem gaskets reused.

Had the same problem too with the broken downpipe bolt. I had a bad seal with the oem gaskets and got new ones. Fixed the problem for me and like the guy said above, low-cell cat is going to stink more then stock but should be less than catless.