Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Smoother Ride

Pool772

I just got a 2019 Ford Fiesta and I really dislike how bumpy the ride is. I'm not someone who knows a lot about cars and have been reading different information about shocks, coilovers, and altering wheel sizes. Has anyone managed to make the ride relatively smooth? What did you end up using?

progressive springs i've read help too but make the car seem "floaty"

don't have any experience with anything other than OEM on a 2019 though

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I just got a 2019 Ford Fiesta and I really dislike how bumpy the ride is. I'm not someone who knows a lot about cars and have been reading different information about shocks, coilovers, and altering wheel sizes. Has anyone managed to make the ride relatively smooth? What did you end up using?
It would be helpful to know if your car is stock, or if not what modifications to the suspension and wheels you have. Also, what tires do you have? Some tires ride considerably harder than others, and switching to a different tire can soften the ride somewhat.
My suspension is stock except for aftermarket wheels in stock size which are 5 lb lighter per corner then the stock wheels. That change in unsprung weight softened up the ride some, there is less weight banging up and down each time the wheel and tire go over a bump.
Just FYI Ford softened the ride for the Fiesta STs starting early in the 2016 model year, so the earlier ones rode harder. To some extent a stiff ride is a necessary side effect of the crisp and agile handling and quick turn in the car has. If you soften the ride too much you risk compromising that. I would live with it a bit and see if you get used to it before you make any dramatic changes, but you're doing the right thing asking about options on here, there are a lot of knowledgeable people who have done a lot of different things to their cars.

NOVA_Ranger

U.S. Army Veteran
It would be helpful to know if your car is stock, or if not what modifications to the suspension and wheels you have. Also, what tires do you have? Some tires ride considerably harder than others, and switching to a different tire can soften the ride somewhat.
My suspension is stock except for aftermarket wheels in stock size which are 5 lb lighter per corner then the stock wheels. That change in unsprung weight softened up the ride some, there is less weight banging up and down each time the wheel and tire go over a bump.
Just FYI Ford softened the ride for the Fiesta STs starting early in the 2016 model year, so the earlier ones rode harder. To some extent a stiff ride is a necessary side effect of the crisp and agile handling and quick turn in the car has. If you soften the ride too much you risk compromising that. I would live with it a bit and see if you get used to it before you make any dramatic changes, but you're doing the right thing asking about options on here, there are a lot of knowledgeable people who have done a lot of different things to their cars.

Agree, in the same boat here and lighter wheels did a lot to reduce the jolting bumps that I noticed with stock wheels. I'd think a slightly taller profile tire (however you go about it) would be the most logical way to adjust ride quality, with expectations of a minor/reasonable tradeoff in handling. That is my game plan anyways, when the time comes for new tires.

This depends on your issues. If it’s harshness over, bumps, getting a meatier tire will help. if it’s bouncing over expansion joints on the highway, getting different rear dampers (Konis or Bilstein B6s).

That said, it will always ride on the harsh and stiff side - it’s super power handling is also it’s number one flaw.

This depends on your issues. If it’s harshness over, bumps, getting a meatier tire will help. if it’s bouncing over expansion joints on the highway, getting different rear dampers (Konis or Bilstein B6s).

That said, it will always ride on the harsh and stiff side - it’s super power handling is also it’s number one flaw.
I drove with 16" steelies with meaty winter tires for the first 2 winters of owning my 2014. They did make it more plush with the softer sidewall, but nothing major.
I have a 1.0 liter Ecoboost fiesta aswell and the stock ride on that is plush and floaty compared, even with the same wheels. So if you want it plush you could be looking at a mix of lowering springs for 1.0 Fiesta and some Bilstein B6's.

Just FYI Ford softened the ride for the Fiesta STs starting early in the 2016 model year, so the earlier ones rode harder.
Sorry for reviving an older thread.

What changed to the suspension in 2016? I'm looking at picking up my first FiST and I was initially looking at 2016+ for Sync 3 but since it's fairly easy to upgrade I started looking at 2014+

Sorry for reviving an older thread.

What changed to the suspension in 2016? I'm looking at picking up my first FiST and I was initially looking at 2016+ for Sync 3 but since it's fairly easy to upgrade I started looking at 2014+
Softer spring rates, a thicker rear torsion beam, and a bigger sway bar upfront. I believe the change over in manufacturing date is 2/16/16.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm 75 years old. I have H & R coil overs and lowered on stock Lionhart tyres. The ride is stiff but not unbearable. I would rather have great and safe handling rather than getting a softer ride and possibly missing out on having more fun.

I'm 75 years old. I have H & R coil overs and lowered on stock Lionhart tyres. The ride is stiff but not unbearable. I would rather have great and safe handling rather than getting a softer ride and possibly missing out on having more fun.
75 years old rockin' around in a modified Fiesta ST? You Sir, are a hero (y)(y)(y)

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club

fiesta, or fiesta st?