Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

So confused... Which hangers for a Mountune catback exhaust (US 5-door)?

(Apologies in advance to anyone who saw my related post on Reddit, but I wasn't able to get a solid answer there, hence my crosspost...)

I just purchased a Mountune CBE, but I haven't purchased new hangers yet because I'm finding all kinds of conflicting information about which hangers give the exhaust proper clearance on a 5-door, US-spec Fiesta (2014). I've searched various ST forums, and there's a lot of info, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus... heck, I'm not even sure if it's an issues anymore?!

Contenders to properly mount a Mountune CBE seem to include:
  • Mountune hangers (but some say they sit too high and hit the valence).
  • COBB hangers (they now sell them with 4 in a pack, but I can't find anyone using them on a Mountune CBE).
  • Whoosh hangers ("no more burnt valences" is the claim, so I'm leaning toward these?)
  • Powerflex hangers (some folks say these work, but how are they different from Whoosh?)
  • Kartboy hangers (have heard these work, but what size? 12mm? Isn't stock 10mm?)

Like everyone else, I just want the new exhaust to site at the proper height below the valence, so it looks good, doesn't hit anything, and doesn't having burn the valence. I had no idea it would be so complicated. :(

Any help from folks with a 5-door and the US-spec Mountune exhaust would be appreciated!

OP
Boosty McBoostface
Thread Starter #2
Whelp... this may be a moot point, as it turns out. The retailer from whom I purchased the Mountune CBE over the weekend just emailed me to say they don't have it in stock and the distributor doesn't know when they will, either. I've since contacted two more retailers, and the story is basically the same... no Mountune exhausts in stock, and no date as to when they will.

So, it's a either a pandemic-related shortage or (more likely), Mountune has just stopped making Fiesta ST exhausts to focus on the Focus and Ranger, and whatever else is newer.

EDIT: Just received a reply from Mountune USA:

We have Fiesta ST exhaust in production and expect to have the parts available before the end of the year.

Last edited:

dhminer

2000 Post Club
They’re all basically the same. You can use any of them. Get Cobb, mountune or whoosh and you’ll be good to go. Tons of folks use all 3 with good results. Little bit of silicone lubricant spray is your friend when trying to get them on there.

For my Mountune cat back, I used the the Whoosh hangers up front and modified a set of Mountune Focus RS hangers for the muffler. I like how my muffler sits, and think it looks good. BA24B456-22C3-41E4-95D6-556CB4CE78CC.jpeg 8751156A-6B63-4B6B-9AC9-2EE2E0BAF18A.jpeg 090EFE57-E7C2-4D8F-929E-3B1ED76C0C3D.jpeg

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
OP
Boosty McBoostface
Thread Starter #7
Why only use the Mountune in the front? Curious to know why not at the muffler?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yes... see, THIS is what I'm talking about. There seems to be some kind of fitment issue where using hangers of the same size or a particular supplier results in a less than ideal location relative to the valence (in particular).

Do tell!

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
aside from the new Mountune hangers which I do not have any experience with since revised in 2020
a few years ago they sold the Ford RS euro hanger (yellow) which were nice but $39 each lol

Torque Solution / COBB = same thing. Torque copied COBB but the shape and center to center measurement is a bit shorter than OEM and are hard are hard as a rock
Powerflex is the same center to center hole measurement as OEM but they rip from heavier exhausts (warrantied many) + are much softer than Torque/COBB. Maybe a bit too soft / almost like OEM that defeats the purpose of upgrading hangers for less movement

our hangers were ONLY created from the complaints of size and failures from the other options
whoosh hangers are the same as OEM length and fall right in the middle of the Torque/COBB & Powerflex in terms of polurethane durometer
Priced lower than any others as well
We're over 3000 hangers sold to date and are the preferred hanger for some other companies like Tune+ for their titanium exhaust kits(y)
whoosh poly hangers jelly bean picture .jpg

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I am using these, and have NO problems whatsoever with them, even on a (relatively) heavy system (CP-E Nexus). [:)]

They replaced the 'rock' Cobb hangers, and have eliminated the buzzing resonance I was experiencing with those hangers during the cold winter months. [thumb]

OP
Boosty McBoostface
Thread Starter #11
aside from the new Mountune hangers which I do not have any experience with since revised in 2020 a few years ago they sold the Ford RS euro hanger (yellow) which were nice but $39 each lol

Torque Solution / COBB = same thing. Torque copied COBB but the shape and center to center measurement is a bit shorter than OEM and are hard are hard as a rock Powerflex is the same center to center hole measurement as OEM but they rip from heavier exhausts (warrantied many) + are much softer than Torque/COBB. Maybe a bit too soft / almost like OEM that defeats the purpose of upgrading hangers for less movement

our hangers were ONLY created from the complaints of size and failures from the other options
whoosh hangers are the same as OEM length and fall right in the middle of the Torque/COBB & Powerflex in terms of polurethane durometer
Priced lower than any others as well
We're over 3000 hangers sold to date and are the preferred hanger for some other companies like Tune+ for their titanium exhaust kits(y)
Thank you, Ron!... appreciate the perspective (and slight sales pitch, which I honestly don't mind, lol)

Of course, now that I know the Mountune exhaust won't be available until maybe the end of the year, I may be looking at other options anyway.

Yes... see, THIS is what I'm talking about. There seems to be some kind of fitment issue where using hangers of the same size or a particular supplier results in a less than ideal location relative to the valence (in particular).

Do tell!
I use two modified Mountune Focus RS hangers on the Mountune muffler and two Whoosh hangers up front to help with NHV. I like the combo and the sound. The Mountune Fiesta hangers are stiff and did not line up the muffler correctly. From what I read people had to bend the Mountune muffler hangers to get them to fit correctly. I tried that unsuccessfully. I took a chance with the Focus RS hangers and it paid off (I got them for free with my Mountune points, so no loss if they did not work). I also replaced the cheap collar bolts with Grade 8. I really like my Mountune exhaust, but it was a hassle and took me 5 tries to get it right. Twisting the exhaust tubes and trying different positions could not get the muffler to set correctly. I really like my exhaust, but it might not be worth the hassle for some and I would not do it again if I got another FIST.