Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

So I drove a Focus RS…

I went and drove a Focus RS at a local dealership to potentially trade in my Fiesta ST. The Focus RS is kind of my ‘dream car’ or ‘ideal’ and I’ve always wondered how they feel to actually drive.

Anyways, I was surprised to find out that it was noticeably slower than my S280 Fiesta. Obviously from a dead stop the RS just goes, which is awesome, but once it gets going it’s not even close. Now I obviously anticipated it based on having roughly the same WHP while the RS is nearly 700lbs heavier. But still, it was pretty interesting to ‘feel’ the difference in person.

The RS is still such an amazing car and there are so many benefits beyond simply straight line speed which isn’t even the point of the car, but with the little I drove of it I realized just how good I have it with my current little Fiesta.

A pretty pointless post just meant to say that it keeps surprising me how rad the FiST is and that the grass isn’t always as green on the other side, especially when it costs twice as much $ to get there.

Anyone else have an opinion of the experience of comparing these two awesome cars?

Last edited:

pixelzombie

Interesting post, I never did get a chance to test drive a Focus before the right FiST showed up on my radar.

Well, I have one of each, both stock. The Fiesta, even stock, 'feels' faster/punchier at lower speeds, because of the weight and torque combo. RS is very torque limited in 1st/2nd gear, only get full power once in 3rd gear so feels much slower than it actually is if you look at the speedo.

Yours being big turbo exacerbates that dynamic, as you note, due to weight, etc.

Now, on a curvy mountain/canyon road - there is no comparison stock to stock. The RS is wicked in that situation, ST is nowhere near as dynamic. It is very good but cannot hold a candle to the RS.

If you drive a big turbo RS, well, that might be a little different. I am hoping to find out personally next year for both...

if this was four years ago (and i had the FiST for four years already), i think i would want to switch it up and get a car with driven rear wheels. but now? anything new i'd be interested in that has four seats is well past $40K with too many driver aids. and getting a used car where i have to learn a new platform all over again if i don't want to pay a lot out of pocket for repair/maintenance is not something i'm into doing

that said the people i've talked to who have traded in lighter performance cars for heavier ones (regardless of whatever improvements the heavier car has) always regret it. with just a few exceptions. there's a famous smoking tire YT post where Matt Farrah drives an x37 boosted FiST and starts waxing nostalgic how he thinks it's as good as his FocusRS and kinda starts in on how maybe he shoulda kept his original FiST. that was like five years ago.

an S280 FiST closes the gap on a FocusRS even more.

edit: before anyone pushes back, i don't mean performance vs. performance. a tuned VW R would smoke even the best tuned big turbo Fiesta but...i'm not sure I'd want one if i could only have one of them.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I test drove one years ago before I decided to do the turbo upgrade on my Fiesta. I liked the RS apart from the ride quality. Just not for me - neat car though

CSM

1000 Post Club
that said the people i've talked to who have traded in lighter performance cars for heavier ones (regardless of whatever improvements the heavier car has) always regret it. with just a few exceptions. there's a famous smoking tire YT post where Matt Farrah drives an x37 boosted FiST and starts waxing nostalgic how he thinks it's as good as his FocusRS and kinda starts in on how maybe he shoulda kept his original FiST. that was like five years ago.
Matt, on his podcast, regularly says that he often misses his Fiesta, but not his Focus (he hated that car). Generally when people ask questions on his podcast about Focus vs. Fiesta he always steers them towards the fiesta

Part of it is what is the core interest - straight line speed, or overall dynamics? Defining what you want is important, as a single car cannot be all things.

Agree with esp_martin on the heavier car thing, been there myself. that is actually part of what got me into the Fiesta - it is difficult to 'out fun' this car compared to the cost. Light and simple definitely has its advantages.

RS is actually similar in that regard compared to the cost of cars it can hound on a mountain road.

That said, RS has a different target than the ST, much more 'hardcore' dynamics. I like both in their own way, but use each car for very different purposes. I would not want to daily drive my RS - partly because I would no longer have a license.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Great recount of your experience. I was absolutely certain I was buying a Focus RS until I went and drove one. I couldn’t stand the seating position. That alone was a deal breaker. It’s otherwise an amazing car.

Yeah, it is a funky thing. My RS is a no sunroof car, but I feel much more cramped in it than I do the Fiesta, which does have a sunroof. Not sure I could have the RS with a sunroof, given how close I already am to the headliner. The fact that the seats 'sit' so high is odd.

Great for a day blasting around in NGA/SC/NC, etc. as I am in there tight. Not great droning down the road to get there... Fiesta wins the trip use case hands down, as least for me personally. Plus much better MPG.

The wife's Edge ST is now the official family hauler. Also a remarkably good car for the cost used. That motor...

I have driven an RS for extended periods of time, tuned and not tuned. I have had 2 well built stage 2 focus ST's and now with a stage 2 fiST. The RS never impressed me, rode and acted like an STI which I dont like. The RS is ALWAYS bumpy and harsh and never felt as fast as any of the other 3 I have driven. Highway pulls were all we ever did to see and my ST always walked away. AWD is great in the winter though here in Michigan!
Mountain roads? I would take that challenge. I have dropped MANY at TOD in my Focus ST's, MANY much more expensive better built vehicles. I know, driver alert. I cant wait to get this Fiesta to TOD end of May. Going to be something else with how light it is. Almost a little scared of that.

OP
CreepyOldMan
Thread Starter #11
Appreciate hearing everyone’s experiences! I was so set on buying this car yesterday, I couldn’t have foreseen a situation where I’d walk away feeling fine without a bit of regret. It was so weird to be happy I didn’t end up trading it in that I had to share.

On the route I took for the solo test drive there was a decent set of curves and I have to admit it felt extremely planted and confidence inspiring. That was the best part of the drive and experience but I had a very modified FBO Focus ST in the past and it felt very similar (at least as far as I can remember).

I also thought the seating position was weird, glad that wasn’t just me. But overall if I could have both I’d have both. If I had to have one? Fiesta for me. Full speed ahead on even more mods! 😅

Here is the thing with the RS - you have to drive it like it is a rwd car to get the 'best' from it. I come from the world of BMW's for track cars, still have a worked over E36 M3 actually, so prefer that dynamic. When I first started driving the RS, didnt actually like it at is 'pushy' when driving it like a FWD/AWD car. Think Audi with that description. spent a lot of time with a stage 3 B5 S4, and the V8 S4.

Once I figured out to drive it differently, it was a WHOLE different bag of beans. Corner exit speeds are bonkers, even stock, on good tires like Cup 2's. To the point I started wondering if it was that much slower than me on my Aprilia RSV 1000 on the same road, which I also track. That said, mine is an 18 with the LSD, which really helps in tight stuff.

The Fiesta in comparison, while very good, isnt capable of that sort of mid/late corner exit drive. I havent driven one with a LSD yet, but still would question how hard it can go. Would like to drive one fully worked over for track duty, that might be different with some rear camber, etc.

Different things for different folks...

Appreciate hearing everyone’s experiences! I was so set on buying this car yesterday, I couldn’t have foreseen a situation where I’d walk away feeling fine without a bit of regret. It was so weird to be happy I didn’t end up trading it in that I had to share.

On the route I took for the solo test drive there was a decent set of curves and I have to admit it felt extremely planted and confidence inspiring. That was the best part of the drive and experience but I had a very modified FBO Focus ST in the past and it felt very similar (at least as far as I can remember).

I also thought the seating position was weird, glad that wasn’t just me. But overall if I could have both I’d have both. If I had to have one? Fiesta for me. Full speed ahead on even more mods! 😅
Dont ever feel bad about that, at the end of the day it is just a thing -you like it, great. You like what you have better, thats great too!

RS get a lot of hype, which can be well deserved, but it is def not a car for everyone or every situation. Fiesta and Focus ST's are frankly much better 'daily' cars. I daily the Fiesta, sooo much better in traffic - shifter, clutch, brakes are all better in traffic imo. Plus, the size is great to park in town, its like commuting in a go-kart compared to my dually.

OP
CreepyOldMan
Thread Starter #15
You really need to drive a Fist with an lsd. You'll be amazed, even on the street!
It's definitely on the list. Is there a post or a guide that details every single part you 'should' upgrade while you're doing the LSD install and all the ancillary parts you will need? I know it's a big undertaking and I want to make sure I'm doing it all and doing it right.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's definitely on the list. Is there a post or a guide that details every single part you 'should' upgrade while you're doing the LSD install and all the ancillary parts you will need? I know it's a big undertaking and I want to make sure I'm doing it all and doing it right.
I had mine installed by Vik at FSWerks. I know I had to leave my car there for 2 days while he dropped the transmission.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
When I test drove a FoRS, I did not really get a chance to 'wring it's neck', so I did not get the full effect of it's performance, albeit it did feel very 'solid and planted' as many claim.

I just did not like it's size, and heft, and hence why I always pined for an AWD FiRS.
Even though yes, it would be heavier than our rides, but not anywhere near as portly as the FoRS, due to the smaller overall size.

IF I had the coin, I would buy a Rally 3 Fiesta, and 'streetize' it to the point of being able to register, title, and insure it for on road use here. [wink]

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I just had mine done last week. Had the clutch and slave cylinder replaced while the trans was out but couldn’t think of anything else. Maybe new axles but I don’t usually replace them unless something breaks

OP
CreepyOldMan
Thread Starter #20
I just had mine done last week. Had the clutch and slave cylinder replaced while the trans was out but couldn’t think of anything else. Maybe new axles but I don’t usually replace them unless something breaks
Did you upgrade the clutch?