Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

SOCAL Track Days w/Extreme Speed ("Ford ST Racing Challenge/Cup")

Hi, all! Thanks for the link to this forum/post, TurboDuck (from Road Racing at Fiestast.net)

I'll resume that conversation here, since it is pretty clear that traffic is way down over there.

Anyhow, I was kicking around the idea of a dedicated Ford ST event with Joel Perez at Extreme Speed. He's pretty excited about it, and even registered a new domain name for it ("STRacingChallenge.com" -- though not active yet).

We figured we could combine the Focus and Fiesta ST ("all Ford STs!"). I think it could be fun, draw a lot of interest, and be competitive for both cars.

Original post:

At my last SoW track day a couple weeks ago, Joel Perez of Extreme Speed said he was serious about making a cup event for us!

After a bit of discussion, we landed on the idea of making this a "Ford ST" event -- rather than just for the Focus or Fiesta. The thinking was that it would attract more people and generally be more fun. The cars are overall a pretty good match when you mix big tracks with little tracks. Actual venue is TBD, but the idea was to do two Willow Springs days at the big track, two at Streets, two at AAA, and two more at Horse Thief Mile (or possibly another). I think he even registered the domain name "STRacingChallenge.com" (not caps sensitive -- and not up yet). So "all Ford STs" are allowed. I'm pretty sure that is just Focus/Fiesta cars for now (and glad the new EcoBoost Mustang wasn't called an "ST"). :)

I told him I'd post here, and one of the Focus ST guys said he'd post on his board, too. The general idea was that we'd have three classes to address the most common states of tune. This would be a "Time Attack" style, since you'd need a cage to race wheel-to-wheel.

The first group is "Stock". It's literally bone stock, and is intended to get people out with their daily drivers. No tire changes, suspension changes, or power modifications of any kind are allowed. No aero would be allowed.

The second group is called "Enthusiast". This group would allow tires up to a wear rating of 140 (I know tires can vary greatly with the same rating). It would also allow modifications like an exhaust, Cobb/Mountune tuning, and suspension work. No areo would be allowed.

The last group is called "Unlimited". Like any series, there's bound to be a car that's far outside the others, but we thought it would be fun to do it like this. Like the name says, it's unlimited, and anything goes.

I'm sure this will change with feedback, but I wanted to get this out there. Let me know if this is interesting, please. I haven't been to the track much lately, but I intend to change that.

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
I'm interested except for the fact I would be stuck in unlimited which is means I need to step up my build even more...

In all seriousness an st oriented track group would be awesome! I will be following this closely.

I'm all for more events that get Fiesta ST and Focus ST guys together. This was somewhat tried in November, and was somewhat successful, I think it will need someone to be proactive with trying to promote everyone to show up at the same time and hang out in a group and have a good time. It's like herding cats :)

OP
M
Thread Starter #4
I'm all for more events that get Fiesta ST and Focus ST guys together. This was somewhat tried in November, and was somewhat successful, I think it will need someone to be proactive with trying to promote everyone to show up at the same time and hang out in a group and have a good time. It's like herding cats :)
Sounds good to me. Dave and I had a nice event where a bunch of FoST drivers showed up at Horse Thief Mile, then a week later at Big Wiilow (with lots of Mustangs). Good times all around.

I don't want to force anything, but figured we'd have enough people to give this a go. If nothing else, we'll share plenty of track days.

Pete

I would be interested after summer. Trying to save a little bit of money right now with a baby on the way. I too would be in unlimited because of my aero mods. I don't think we would have to go "full out" like stated above because for those of us in unlimited are in the category for different reasons, be it bigger turbo, aero, rims and tires, etc... It would be interesting at first to see what has the greater effect on the car before going full build.

This sounds like a great idea to me. I would love to race against my fellow ST owners, I could learn some things. See people's modifications in action. Its the best drawing board to see what our cars will do. I'm all for having the Focus guys out. I enjoy beating them on the autocross maybe then can get back at me lol.

I should let my mentor Rob Tallini from Road Race Motorsports throw my car around in that.

Shit, if I can get him to work on our cars (im working on that by the way), shit I might be able to get him to sponsor it. He's really tight with the Extremespeed guys (he also won redline time attack).

OP
M
Thread Starter #8
This sounds like a great idea to me. I would love to race against my fellow ST owners, I could learn some things. See people's modifications in action. Its the best drawing board to see what our cars will do. I'm all for having the Focus guys out. I enjoy beating them on the autocross maybe then can get back at me lol.
You may find that you can handle the FoST guys on most tracks too. They're surprisingly well matched, but I haven't seen a faster FoST yet. If this pokes someone to the point of proving it at a track day, we have success! :)

JTP

I think this would be a ton of fun, especially getting together with a bunch of other FiST owners. Keep us updated. I am going to Buttonwillow for this cars first track day ever on the 10th and I am the only ST out there according to the list of people attending which surprises me a bit.

Young L

I think there should be another group between enthusiast and unlimited. Ive only done a few things with my FiST but no way I could keep up with someone like RAAMaudio who would just dominate everyone.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
That is kind of you to say but honestly I did not build the car to compete with other FiSTs, I wan to run with at least most Vettes and Porsches, really, I know I can considering how most owners of those cars are not the fastest drivers:)

Of course I might not end up as fast as I hope to be but still dang quick and fun so I will be happy whatever the case may turn out to be.

I am also just an upper mid, if that, level driver so I have to do more to the car to make up for my skill level;)

I'm interested as well. I just went to chuckwalla this weekend. Did a few laps and came home in first place. Completely stock fist as well. I did a 2:17

It should be extended to every socal track, we could do one each at the willows (4 total with streets on reversed and normal), Chuckwalla, AAA interior, and Buttonwillow. I would be down for whatever enthusiasts, but I do agree that there should be a middle between. Enthusiasts and unlimited. Maybe an enthusiasts mild and enthusiasts wild? The hardest part would be keeping the car in on class for the whole season.