Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sound of Pressure?

Can someone here chime in as to how we release the sound of the turbo and BOV?

I can tolerate the "audio file", but my car sounds like a N/A engine.

Secondarily, My plans are to add a Livernois or Cobb staged (1 or 2, at most), but I'm wondering if it will change what I'm hearing?

Thanks for the helpful input.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Go buy one of these if you want the PSSSSSHHHHT. I own one for the stock snail....it was like a Snake striking when you accelerated and let off to release boost pressure by the BPV/ By Pass Valve as we do not have a BOV/ Blow Off Valve. It was great for scaring pedestrians also I might add!

http://www.boombaracing.com/fiesta-st-blow-off-valve-bov-adapter/

Last edited:
OP
N
Thread Starter #3
Go buy one of these if you want the PSSSSSHHHHT. I own one for the stock snail....it was like a Snake striking when you accelerated and let off to release boost pressure by the BPV/ By Pass Valve as we do not have a BOV/ Blow Off Valve.

http://www.boombaracing.com/fiesta-st-blow-off-valve-bov-adapter/
Thanks for the info- I guess I'm stuck with what I have.

Evidently, our FiST uses a recirculating valve, which in my experience replacing with a vent to atmosphere will create a rich condition during throttle transitions without tuning for it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Uh....NOPE it didn't for me. I had it installed on the Stock tune and on my stratified tune. No re-tune needed for this mod. The BPV is a recirculating valve.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club

Evidently, our FiST uses a recirculating valve, which in my experience replacing with a vent to atmosphere will create a rich condition during throttle transitions without tuning for it.
You will not have any issues I promise you.
This is what I have so do many others no issues.

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...esta-st-2014-2018?_pos=7&_sid=fa416a549&_ss=r
Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club

Definitely not the case with these cars.... but you can do a full recirc beefier DV along with intake upgrades will make more sound too, getting rid of the stock air box will give more sound a well, so a few ways to do it.

You could go ghetto and drill out your stock airbox:eek:, or go with a dual-port TurboSmart. I tried the Boomba BPV VTA adaptor and it was a bit too much! Ended up going full plumb-back TurboSmart with an ST200 airbox w/K&N, which added some intake spool sounds:cool:

By chance, I happen to have that airbox along with 2 filters up for sale on here!:p Haven't posted the Boomba BOV Spacer yet, but...;)

Last edited:
OP
N
Thread Starter #8
You will not have any issues I promise you.
This is what I have so do many others no issues.

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...esta-st-2014-2018?_pos=7&_sid=fa416a549&_ss=r
That looks like a good alternative- a dual. I may just leave it; I've had enough tuning and tweaking to last a lifetime. :)

These cars are MAF-based, are they not? Is the BOV before or after the throttle body? If it's after the MAF, I have logs that will show a rich condition from a MAF-based pure atmospheric BOV. It can be a pain to tune out, depending on the BOV response. Maybe Ford designed around it?

Thanks for the help!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
That looks like a good alternative- a dual. I may just leave it; I've had enough tuning and tweaking to last a lifetime. :)

These cars are MAF-based, are they not? Is the BOV before or after the throttle body? If it's after the MAF, I have logs that will show a rich condition from a MAF-based pure atmospheric BOV. It can be a pain to tune out, depending on the BOV response. Maybe Ford designed around it?

Thanks for the help!
They are MAP based. Oversea cars are tuned off the MAF.

danbfree

3000 Post Club

Thanks for the help!
And if you have any concerns, both the Go Fast Bits DV+ (kit to beef up your stock DV) and the TurboSmart, both solenoid (fully plug and play stock DV replacement) and the vacuum activated version are available in both 50/50 and full recirc... There were issues with the first Gen plug and play, but 2nd Gen has been out a while now and I have zero probs with mine and others with 2nd Gen haven't reported any issues either.

OP
N
Thread Starter #12
And if you have any concerns, both the Go Fast Bits DV+ (kit to beef up your stock DV) and the TurboSmart, both solenoid (fully plug and play stock DV replacement) and the vacuum activated version are available in both 50/50 and full recirc... There were issues with the first Gen plug and play, but 2nd Gen has been out a while now and I have zero probs with mine and others with 2nd Gen haven't reported any issues either.
Thank you for the help. I'm probably going with the Cobb stage 1 and leave it. I've built enough turbo cars (and still have my sleepy little turbo'd Ranger) to realize the $/hp gets upside down in a hurry with most mods outside the turbo / tuning.

BTW: my 19 is Magnetic with the only option black wheels. :) This car is so much fun to drive as-is. Not fast per se, but quick enough in the handling department to make one braver than one's talent should allow. Most reviews I read before my recent purchase were spot-on.

It will not on our cars since its MAP based. For the older MAF based cars it would. As far as I understand it. Dont buy a spacer...please! Buy an intercooler with charge piping that has a blow off valve on it. Then intake, accessport, colder plugs, and a tune..boom the stock turbo is maxed out and running great. I highly recommend an e30 tune if you can get e85 in your area

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well if he isn't wanting to go beyond an COBB AP3 and a tune then the adapter will be more than adequate on stock parts. $400-500 just for the Pssssht sound is a waste of money for a trying to keep it as close to stock besides a tune and Ap3.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thank you for the help. I'm probably going with the Cobb stage 1 and leave it. I've built enough turbo cars (and still have my sleepy little turbo'd Ranger) to realize the $/hp gets upside down in a hurry with most mods outside the turbo / tuning.

BTW: my 19 is Magnetic with the only option black wheels. :) This car is so much fun to drive as-is. Not fast per se, but quick enough in the handling department to make one braver than one's talent should allow. Most reviews I read before my recent purchase were spot-on.
So I started where you were, Magnetic with only black wheels and now I'm a couple of grand in, total, and pretty happy. Running legal exhaust and can go back to factory tune any time. I won't bother with an AP if your are just going to use the Cobb Stage 1, you might as well use FlowMaster Delta module, so at least spend the $75 for an OEM smooth and safe Dizzy tune, it's actually safer than a Cobb Stage 1 and makes more power.