Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Spark plug socket reality check.

So I changed the plugs on my car last weekend. I read on the forum that a 16mm thin wall spark plug socket was the way to go about this.

I was too impatient to order one up and wait. Instead I went out in the garage to see what I could do with the tools I had.

Much to my surprise I was able to complete the spark plug changing task without any exotic thin wall metric spark plug sockets. I broke the spark plugs loose (and torqued them to spec) with a regular old 3/8” drive deep Craftsman socket (5/8”). Next I broke out the plain Jane 5/8” Craftsman spark plug socket (PN 43324) and the Motorcraft plugs were replaced with some new NGK plugs.

Maybe there is some difference with head castings, but I had no issues whatsoever.

5/8” = .625”
.625x25.4mm = 15.875mm

Soooo.... a 5/8” socket is .125mm smaller than a 16mm socket - or about .005” smaller for those folks that like to think in inches.

Five thousandths of an inch - like two hairs off your head.

Anyway- I’m curious what others have found doing the same task.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Make sure NOT to put anti-seize on NGK spark plugs. It's posted on their website. All other brands continue as before.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Spork1569

So I changed the plugs on my car last weekend. I read on the forum that a 16mm thin wall spark plug socket was the way to go about this.

I was too impatient to order one up and wait. Instead I went out in the garage to see what I could do with the tools I had.

Much to my surprise I was able to complete the spark plug changing task without any exotic thin wall metric spark plug sockets. I broke the spark plugs loose (and torqued them to spec) with a regular old 3/8” drive deep Craftsman socket (5/8”). Next I broke out the plain Jane 5/8” Craftsman spark plug socket (PN 43324) and the Motorcraft plugs were replaced with some new NGK plugs.

Maybe there is some difference with head castings, but I had no issues whatsoever.

5/8” = .625”
.625x25.4mm = 15.875mm

Soooo.... a 5/8” socket is .125mm smaller than a 16mm socket - or about .005” smaller for those folks that like to think in inches.

Five thousandths of an inch - like two hairs off your head.

Anyway- I’m curious what others have found doing the same task.
I did mine with a regular Craftsman socket as well and ran into no issues

Make sure NOT to put anti-seize on NGK spark plugs. It's posted on their website. All other brands continue as before.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I hear the OEM (MotorCraft) plugs are made buy NGK. So do I not put anti-seize on them too?

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I used the cheap spark plug socket from O'reilly's. No issues here either on a 2014 model.

Brianmc27

My Craftsman plug socket was definitely too fat, a cheapo Crescent plug socket got the job done for
me.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
My Snap on socket and my Thinwall socket work just fine.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I've used both now, the thin wall slips onto the plug a little easier but the difference was pretty slim.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I got an extra long 5/8 socket for spark plugs from napa. Its at least 5" long and really helps seeing how deep the wells are on this engine and how much my extensions like to leave the socket behind. Lol

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Interestingly enough, I bought a 5/8 socket from a hardware store near me and I didn't work for whatever reason, then I managed to find one in my toolbox I didn't even know I had, and that one worked instead... How odd.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I have had a husky set for some time. Abuse the snot out of them. Throwing them around, using air impact guns regularly. The spark plug socket in that set worked just fine. Used it before I heard about the issues some ppl were having. Did break the swivel on and impact after about a constant 30min of abuse getting my exhaust off. Would buy again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk