Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Spark Plugs for Newbies

the duke

Nothing in the MP215 docs say anything at all about spark plugs period. Mountune web site does not either. They do make a marketing statement under the stock Motorcraft plugs listing that they use stock plugs and change them at 10-12K miles for "best performance" but zero reference to the MP215. When I registered my MP215 with Ford Performance for warranty coverage I asked about any changes Ford Performance suggested like oil, plugs and gas. They said the MP215 was engineered, tested and approved for long term use with zero changes in factory required maintenance or operation of the car. The MP215 had to be transparent in the ST with no changes to operation or maintenance for the end user that would require addendum's to existing manuals. Remember on the ST we already get two manuals and Ford did not want another supplement for the MP-215 if it had changes. It is not accurate to say Mountune "recommended" anything based on the MP215 that deviated from Ford's requirements of stock plugs and intervals of 100K.
Well fuck me, you’re correct. I guess I was on their spark plug page and it all blended together.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Correct. Unless running ethanol or significant modifications (New turbo) stick with stock. OEM plugs work great. For what it's worth Mountune recommend changing sparkoplugs every 15K miles or so with the MP215 kit (Similiar to COBB reflash). This is likely way overkill and I've never seen anything worrying when I've performed the R&R at these intervals. They're so cheap and easy I see little reason not to.

Note that DI engines are harder on plugs.
I don't see why step colders make sense for ethanol tunes unless timing is being advanced so much it negates any cooling effect from ethanol in the cylinder.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't see why step colders make sense for ethanol tunes unless timing is being advanced so much it negates any cooling effect from ethanol in the cylinder.

Yes, agreed, I would think that with an E30 tune, one would purposely want the factory heat range plugs. [dunno]

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I find that parts houses and resellers like Mountune speak from both sides of their mouths on spark plugs, they recommend the Iridium or Ruthenium plugs and sell them based on the fact the the two metals are used because the metal reduces displacement of the electrodes so the plugs last 100K or more miles without having a detectable change in gap. Then make typical marketing bull shit statements like "we change ours at 10K miles to "insure" top performance" a total BS statement that sells lots of expensive plug designed for long life. Same with user claims that the metal makes a "hotter", "stronger", or more "powerful" spark. The number of people in the public and this forum that make silly statements of increased power or quicker starting or refer to a "butt" dyno are adrift in the placebo zone. If changing your plugs made your car faster that is all you would hear from NGK advertising but they can't because it is not true! All these metals do is reduce electrode "wear" and make the gap distance last longer to reduce maintenance costs for the manufacturer (100K service interval) and end user to insure the car from the factory will run clean for 50K miles. Why pay for long life plugs and replace them at 10% of their life, just keep them and send the money to me and I'll have a Sioux Princess ask the four winds to make your car faster. Guaranteed to work as well as changing your plugs and proven to require much less work on a stock FiST or MP215 modded one!
BTW, the Ruthenium plugs have reached the point the electrode gap will not change appreciably for 150-200K miles, almost a "lifetime" plug for the average car. That does not stop the insulator from being contaminated from oil or ash build up but the proper heat range can control that somewhat. As to higher performance plug requirements I'll leave that discussion to the the people that are into that. I am totally satisfied with the MP215 power level for my needs.

the duke

I didn't say to run colder plugs.

just for some info> step colder plugs on my deal with x37 and cpe intercooler has really upped the seat of pants drivability. however it doesn't start as fast. just saying.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
just for some info> step colder plugs on my deal with x37 and cpe intercooler has really upped the seat of pants drivability. however it doesn't start as fast. just saying.
Yup, absolutely needed for a BT/hybrid and the requisite tune for such, but they are not going to be your 'friend' in a daily driven car, during winter, with short tripping, in the upper mid west.[nono]

the duke

When switching to E85 running a hotter plug is advised at times as it helps with cold starting (As noted above). This is more advised with n/A motors however, but it depends on the engine, design, N/A vs. Boost etc. Otherwise E85 has a cooler burn compared/higher knock to regular pump gasoline and the timing/boost can be adjusted accordingly. It depends on your goals for your car. For a race motor things swing different along the pendulum than a full street car.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
When switching to E85 running a hotter plug is advised at times as it helps with cold starting (As noted above). This is more advised with n/A motors however, but it depends on the engine, design, N/A vs. Boost etc. Otherwise E85 has a cooler burn compared/higher knock to regular pump gasoline and the timing/boost can be adjusted accordingly. It depends on your goals for your car. For a race motor things swing different along the pendulum than a full street car.
The temperature of a plug whether "Hotter" or Colder" type is the same at start up. The temperature is based on operating temps so it would have no effect for an initial cold start up.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The temperature of a plug whether "Hotter" or Colder" type is the same at start up. The temperature is based on operating temps so it would have no effect for an initial cold start up.
I disagree here is a great post that explains it.

The dude who posted this engineers ignition systems.

"I'm going to have to jump in here real quick and comment on heat range and cold starting. Heat range has EVERYTHING to do with cold starts. Look at it this way...if we weren't worried about cold starts and fouling, we'd just put stone cold plugs in everything for maximum protection against preignition and call it good.

Hotter plugs have longer ceramic tips; think of tip length as the length of the path to the heatsink (cylinder head). Cold plugs have short tips to dissipate the heat quickly. It's that physical length that's so important because it represents what we call the "shunt path". In other words, the resistance along the insulator tip determines whether it's easier to conduct ignition current across the gap or along the insulator to ground. A new or plug at operating temperature has a shunt resistance that's basically infinite. When an engine is starting, and the mixture is enriched, and fuel and soot are distributed on the insulator. These deposits are conductive, dropping the resistance of the insulator surface and potentially allowing current flow to ground - up inside the spark plug. Once the insulator is shunted, the current flows along the insulator to ground, and there's no spark in the gap (so most likely no start).

Spark gap is critical to cold starting as well. Colder plugs must use smaller gaps, hotter plugs can use larger gaps since their shunt path is longer. That's why worn plugs start misfiring, the gap resistance becomes higher than the shunt resistance, so the current doesn't always flow through the gap. Using a wider gap on a colder plug will have you misfiring quickly during a cold start, or not starting at all. Conversely, wider gaps on hotter plugs (to a point) make for easier starting because the fuel won't foul the gap as easily, and it's statistically more likely to get a combustible mixture in between a larger electrode gap...but you've got to have the tip length to support the gap. There's a lot more to it, but that's the nickel version. It also has to do with voltage drops along the circuit, with higher energy deliveries being at the points of greatest voltage drop. Consider the drops along the way at the spark plug suppression resistor, terminations, etc.

There is no operating of an engine requiring more "demand voltage" than cold starting. This is because the voltage required to stimulate electron flow across the gap is higher when the metals are coldest. This pretty much limits spark gap since if we go too far and there isn't enough voltage available to break down, or ionize, the gap we probably don't start. Cold starting can use all the ignition voltage you have available, especially when you consider that battery voltage is lower, and dropped further by the current draw of the cranking motor, etc. And there's quenching...energy drawn from the gap byy the relatively cold surroundings. Kind of like lighting a cold fireplace compared to re-lighting one that's already hot but out of wood...it lights much easier warm (takes less ENERGY). There's a lot more to it, and I can answer questions if needed. 20+ years engineering ignition systems and spark plugs."

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=14159&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I did notice that the step colder NGK's I had were shorter than the stock NGK's so not sitting as far into the chamber.