Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Spinning Nut on Downpipe

Hey there,

I'm freaking out a little here. I was installing a new downpipe and when I get to removing the dp from the turbo, the last nut is literally just spinning in place on the stud. The stud is not moving but the nut is. I cannot get it off, and it wont tighten either it just spins. Now I have a little leak and I don't know what to do.

Any Ideas?
Thanks.

OP
Tetra
Thread Starter #3
you'll probably need to cut it off if you can with the tight space
That was the last thing I could think of. I took it to a shop to see if they could do anything and they said they could look at it but it could lead up to a new turbo which I know aint happening because im not trying to get another X47.

Se7eN

That was the last thing I could think of. I took it to a shop to see if they could do anything and they said they could look at it but it could lead up to a new turbo which I know aint happening because im not trying to get another X47.
or maybe a bolt extraction tool

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I cannot see how anything you could reasonably do would damage the turbo.

1st step) Spray the dickens out of everything with WD-40 or your favorite penatrant and let it sit for a few hours.

2nd step) If the tip of the stud is still in good shape (like you can get an appropriate socket on it Torx right?), see if you can get the stud itself to back out of the turbo.

3rd step) If the stud is not extractable, as previously mentioned, cut or otherwise remove the nut and remove the downpipe. The remnant of the stud will still be in the turbo. Re-lube the crap out of it and get some very sturdy vice grips or something on what is left to get it out of the turbo.

4th step) If the stud still will not come out or breaks off at the turbo, get somebody skilled to extract what is left. This may require removal of the turbo

OP
Tetra
Thread Starter #6
I cannot see how anything you could reasonably do would damage the turbo.

1st step) Spray the dickens out of everything with WD-40 or your favorite penatrant and let it sit for a few hours.

2nd step) If the tip of the stud is still in good shape (like you can get an appropriate socket on it Torx right?), see if you can get the stud itself to back out of the turbo.

3rd step) If the stud is not extractable, as previously mentioned, cut or otherwise remove the nut and remove the downpipe. The remnant of the stud will still be in the turbo. Re-lube the crap out of it and get some very sturdy vice grips or something on what is left to get it out of the turbo.

4th step) If the stud still will not come out or breaks off at the turbo, get somebody skilled to extract what is left. This may require removal of the turbo
Okay, I'll give this all a shot.