Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Spring compressor needed for spring swap?

My last car compressor wasn't needed for swap. Rear was similar to Fist in that you simply lowered the beam until springs fell out. Front stock springs were only under light compression and shorter lowering springs were easily hand assembled.

Yes, you need a spring compressor for the front. If I remember correctly I used one for removal and installation of the new springs.
Rear you dont need it

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I bought new hardware for the front and assembled my Konis and Swifts without a compressor. Obviously, that route costs a little more but it made the swap very easy -- and it was a bonus selling point for the original equipment.

They can be had for cheap and are a nice tool to have around. $20-40 to keep safe and you can probably loan them out to buddies for beer trades. Well worth it.

Last edited:
Agreed. Spring compressors are cheap and good to have around for future projects. I also recommend an impact gun. Air or electric. I have a Craftsman electric one and I can compress the springs in seconds. Sure as hell beats using a wrench by hand

OP
G
Thread Starter #7
I bought new hardware for the front and assembled my Konis and Swifts without a compressor. Obviously, that route costs a little more but it made the swap very easy -- and it was a bonus selling point for the original equipment.
Yeah, I'm leaning toward this option. Don't have fond memories of last time I used a compressor.

Yeah, I'm leaning toward this option. Don't have fond memories of last time I used a compressor.
What not fond memories do you have? They are not real tricky to use? Springs can be extremely dangerous, if you have been around when one goes flying you will appreciate the $30 spent on safety and doing it the right way.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Or just go to the Local Vatozone...Oreallys or Crapa/NAPA.. They rent them out for a deposit. Then you bring it back and get your money back or keep it for your own personal use.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Just remember, aim away from face.

A set of compressors isnt too expensive. And the ones i have definitely paid for themselves with my old car. I usually did them on the living room floor. Never had any issues.

Negi

what store did you get the hardware from.I have koni's and swift springs sitting in the garage for an april install.

OP
G
Thread Starter #15
Doable. Quick and easy, no scratches on the springs.

3 spring swaps already. First time used loaner compressor to remove stock springs, installed Swifts to stock struts by hand. 2nd Swift swap to Bilstein B8s didn't think compressor would be needed but ended up using ties, used 1/8 ties, worked but needed 8 per spring. 3rd Swifts swapped out for H&R sports was ready with 3/8 ties, 20 second install, only 2 needed.

013.jpg