Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ST XTA Coilover Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Attached are photographs of the right rear of my FiST with ST Suspension's XTA coilover kit. The springs have 7500 miles on them, rarely see wet weather and never see salt. That spring is rusted through at the other springs are all corroded. ST's response? Our warranty doesn't cover corrosion (not stated in the warranty found on ST's web site), you've dared to use your street-driven car on a track day and *any* track use invalidates the warranty (not stated on the warranty found on ST's web site), and our springs are only covered by a two year warranty (the springs are part of a coil over kit which is covered by a 5 year warranty). John Carnell, ST's Sales and Technical Support Rep. has spoken and there is no recourse.

This isn't just a bummer that I bought $1200 of coilovers, thinking that I was buying better components by going with ST, this is a safey issue. That spring is close to pushing itself off the pad.

Has anyone else had such terrible luck with ST's components or customer service?

Attachments

koozy

3000 Post Club
non issue to me, looks like surface corrosion. if it rusted through and deteriorate the metals, that's an issue but I don't see that here. muffler looks worse.

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
Take another look - there's 1/2 a coil gone.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I'll take your word for it, I don't see it. If that's the case, too bad they won't back up their product. Shame on them.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Oh wow. Yeah thats a busted spring for sure. Id pull that garbage off. Or maybe order some swift coilover springs front and rear. That will for sure fix the problem.

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #8
Then id get into the Bilstein line or get some Koni orange or yella's with some lowering springs possibly.
For sure these are coming off - I don't think that the car is safe right now.

I need coilovers b/c I corner weight the car, so I'm thinking Bilstein, MeisteR or YCW coilovers. Bilstein because they've always been good, MeisteR because of the great reputation they have on this site, and YCW because they appear to be very well made. This car is becoming more and more a track car so I want something adjustable and durable.

Advice from any of you?

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #9
Well if it was me....Id take that Shit off my car....Take a Dump in a box and package the whole system up and Put return to sender on it and tell them to keep their Shit.
Because of my line of work (manufacturing software) my firm keeps a lawyer on retainer. I know, yuck. But is does mean that we get "free" legal service. I'm gonna take these guys to small claims court, convert the judgement into a Ca. order, and send the sheriff after them for a full refund + legal expenses.

I *totally* understand shitty power coat runs, variations in material, etc. When I contacted ST (three phone calls before a call back) with pictures I thought they'd say "Shit, sorry! Here's a new set of springs." Instead I got a bunch of BS verbal amendments to their warranty and, then, ghosting.

Too many other really good options....

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
For what it's worth - this is not corrosion (what you called "rust through"), but cracking. It's a high strengh material, and is susceptible to cracking. Cracking could be purely mechanical in nature, or may have been initiated by corrosion. I'm thinking it's the latter - and, for that, having a defect in the coating may have been the precipitating event.

Either way, this means that the coil is defective, and should be replaced under warranty.

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #11
For what it's worth - this is not corrosion (what you called "rust through"), but cracking. It's a high strengh material, and is susceptible to cracking. Cracking could be purely mechanical in nature, or may have been initiated by corrosion. I'm thinking it's the latter - and, for that, having a defect in the coating may have been the precipitating event.

Either way, this means that the coil is defective, and should be replaced under warranty.
Man, keep up the material science! You're absolutely right, the spring did not "rust through" but broke. The other springs have troubling signs of corrosion, leading me to believe that they may experience a similar failure.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Its interesting that you did not get a fasr response. When I had a used set and wanted to find out about rebuilds I called the KW number and was able to talk to people immediately. If yu can get the right scientific analysis you could prove your point and force them to honor warranty. I would only do small claims and sherriff as an absolute last resort. I still think you have a chance of proving your point but its alll in the approach.

First off taking pics and showing them on a car with rusty parts did you no favors that was your first bad move.
You literally gave them an example of a reason to deny.

If I was you I would have take the spring off and cleaned it. Showing only the metallurgy examples. I.e. pics of the actually breaks. Corrosion can happen anywhere and usually does not make a spring come apart unless excessive . That pic makes it look like you drove the car on salted roads which indeed will cause excessive corrosion . I am sure that is why they are denying you. Oh and a good laywer will be aware of that as well so do not think just because your firm retains lawyers it makes your case a slam dunk.

I am not trying to say its right or agreeing with them. I am pointing out cold hard facts that have to be considered.

Good luck.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Its interesting that you did not get a fasr response. When I had a used set and wanted to find out about rebuilds I called the KW number and was able to talk to people immediately. If yu can get the right scientific analysis you could prove your point and force them to honor warranty. I would only do small claims and sherriff as an absolute last resort. I still think you have a chance of proving your point but its alll in the approach.

First off taking pics and showing them on a car with rusty parts did you no favors that was your first bad move.
You literally gave them an example of a reason to deny.

If I was you I would have take the spring off and cleaned it. Showing only the metallurgy examples. I.e. pics of the actually breaks. Corrosion can happen anywhere and usually does not make a spring come apart unless excessive . That pic makes it look like you drove the car on salted roads which indeed will cause excessive corrosion . I am sure that is why they are denying you. Oh and a good laywer will be aware of that as well so do not think just because your firm retains lawyers it makes your case a slam dunk.

I am not trying to say its right or agreeing with them. I am pointing out cold hard facts that have to be considered.

Good luck.
I have to disagree. Manufacturers select materials of construction based on the intended application, and they undergo laboratory and field testing to ensure that they are indeed fit-for-purpose. For instance, there are tens of years worth of exposure that the paint departments of the car companies have conducted on the painted panels, many exposed with deliberately introduced flaws - just to see if the paint will delaminate or spall due to corrosion. Same goes with everything else - it is completely unreasonable to expect that in the course of normal use, the car wouldn't be exposed to salt. Granted, they don't make things from nickel alloys because of the cost, and therefore the rust-through warranty is limited (to 10 years!) - but to impose on the owners the duty of hosing down the underside (rustproofing coating, anyone?) after each drive is beyond what anybody (including the courts) would consider reasonable.

Further, the presence of corrosion on the broken spring would be yet another indication that the issue lies with the material - the spring steel is not expected to crack under normal use (the question of the track use is to be discussed) and if it did, that's because there's something wrong with the metallurgy or the type of steel used.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
For sure these are coming off - I don't think that the car is safe right now.

I need coilovers b/c I corner weight the car, so I'm thinking Bilstein, MeisteR or YCW coilovers. Bilstein because they've always been good, MeisteR because of the great reputation they have on this site, and YCW because they appear to be very well made. This car is becoming more and more a track car so I want something adjustable and durable.

Advice from any of you?
So - you want to put coilovers in the rear? I have BC-2s c/o for the front, but the rears are the same - springs and shocks (from BC Racing as well). Two sets of springs with 2 different rates.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
B
I have to disagree. Manufacturers select materials of construction based on the intended application, and they undergo laboratory and field testing to ensure that they are indeed fit-for-purpose. For instance, there are tens of years worth of exposure that the paint departments of the car companies have conducted on the painted panels, many exposed with deliberately introduced flaws - just to see if the paint will delaminate or spall due to corrosion. Same goes with everything else - it is completely unreasonable to expect that in the course of normal use, the car wouldn't be exposed to salt. Granted, they don't make things from nickel alloys because of the cost, and therefore the rust-through warranty is limited (to 10 years!) - but to impose on the owners the duty of hosing down the underside (rustproofing coating, anyone?) after each drive is beyond what anybody (including the courts) would consider reasonable.

Further, the presence of corrosion on the broken spring would be yet another indication that the issue lies with the material - the spring steel is not expected to crack under normal use (the question of the track use is to be discussed) and if it did, that's because there's something wrong with the metallurgy or the type of steel used.
You completely missed my point. Try going back amd reading it again. My point is they made a judgment call based on perceived conditions.
Fact is you spout how companies have done metallurgy studies abour encountering certain conditions but its a known fact and has been for years that in the midwest and northeast they salt the roads heavily and it destroys car chassis’s in a number of years. This is not something I am pulling out my ass this has been going on for years. Exposed to salt on a repeated basis untreated metal will come apart.
Now given that fact and he does live in cold winter salted roads area of the country. When the guys at ST look at the pics and see a rustey muffler , rust on the paint of joint seams that you can see in the pics he posted they cry foul.
Driving any car on salted roads all the time will cause it to rust out . Painted or not.
You can spout all you want truth is the undercoating business is huge in those states for that very reason.
Plus salt is extremely hard to clean out and rid off once you have got on and in nooks and crannies on a car.

Example is taking your car to the Bonnieville Salt flats which my friends have done and strong advise against doing. They said it was near impossible and took tear downs and multiple washes to get rid of salt.

So in theory someone drives on roads that have been salted it can be a problem again I am not saying this is what Jeff did. I am saying from the manufacturers standpoint given where he resides and given the pics they are gonna go oh salted roads issues. Nope no warranty.

You guys conveniently forgot technically coilovers are not for street use . Did Jeff read the fine print of the warranty? Is it a limited liability warranty? Is it a manufacturers warranty against possible manufacturer defects?

He is not telling us everything and I could hazard to say there is fine print in it that outlines their ability to deny based on usage.

I digress though. Fact is most parts like this are intended for track and off road use. Sure they will sell it to you and let you put it on your street car might even warranty it except extreme conditions.
I can bet they look at salted roads as extreme conditions because they are and abosolutely no manufacturer warranties damage from salted roads otherwise people would be turning in their 2-3 year old cars under manufacturers warranty due to rust from Salted roads in Minnesota
, Ilinois , Indiana,Michigan,Mass,Maine,Vermont etc...

Again this is just some facts that they would be working from.
So am I sorry this happened to Jeff ? Yes, do I think he has a case , well like I said in my earlier post had he presented it properly they might have warrantied it as it is now, no.
Does it kinda suck that it happened ya.
I could go on for days pointing little legal aspects that lawyers will use and point out.
In the end its a performance part and that means that things can and do happen that may exceed manufacturers warranty .
A lot of performance part manufacturers do not even offer warranties because they cannot predict what could happen to a part put on a race car subject to extreme race conditions. Things break.

All I am doing here is pointing all of this out and having been in parts manufacturing and selling first hand experience at the manufacters level.
I wish Jeff the best in a resolution yet I feel he is being his own worst enemy in the presentation like I have already mentioned.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I wish you the best with your resolution. I'm pro consumer and pro employee every time. If you ever watched a Savagegeese review on YouTube he puts the brand new cars on a lift, and shows the complete underside of the car. Brand new cars have rust on them. I listen to a lot of Clark Howard super nice guy and he would call this customer no service.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
However, please keep the comments on the topic at hand and not against each other.
A failure to comply will result in the locking of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.