Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ST200 clutch worth the cost??

At 40k miles my clutch is starting to slip under heavy load. I want to upgrade and not sure what option to go with, especially since the prices vary so much. Is the ST200 clutch really that much stronger than stock? Seems like a huge price jump for a clutch that was built to handle 20 more horsepower. I’m leaning towards an aftermarket clutch but I don’t want something super stiff. I want to keep the clutch feeling relatively stock. What do you guys recommend for a good clutch for an S280 with a HP goal of around 330-340?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
There are guys running ST200 clutches with s280’s. In the case of the ST200 I would say the clutch is overbuilt. The ST200 was basically our HP with the overboost. Yet they got a stronger clutch and we still had the ST180 clutch. I am currently running the factory clutch with my S280 which is why I think the ST280 is gonna a be a great option for me. I mean you could spend more on another clutch it all depends on how much you think you want to speed on stronger clutch.

ronmcdon

I have the xclutch I purchased from Whoosh and it has a very oem feel to it. Definitely not stiff and comes with it's own flywheel. Just use the oem master cylinder and throw out bearing. Was around 1k give or take, which is probably the closest alternative to the ST200 clutch. ST200 is around 600ish but no flywheel iirc. Not sure if you can use old flywheel but if not would imagine it to cost a bit more.

https://www.xclutchusa.com/uploads/files/Ford_Fiesta_ST_XC.pdf

One thing to consider is unless somehow you're doing your own labor, it will involving dropping the transmission and so labor is going to be higher, maybe closer to a grand for most shops. One way to make that more worthwhile is consider doing lsd upgrade at the same time. Thats what I did along with a few other parts at the same time.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Interesting the Xclutch is no longer on Whoosh its been replaced by another brand for $1199 by a company called RTS that looks to be a different design of a sprung 6 puck driven disk . It‘s rated to hold 395 ft lbs of TQ which is above the X clutch rating of 330ftlbs .

The other clutch which was one Ron mentioned to me was the Competition Clutch stage 2. for around $80 more than the ST200. I just looked up a factory flywheel as well

Last edited:

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Interesting the Xclutch is no longer on Whoosh its been replaced by another brand for $1199 by a company called RTS that looks to be a different design of a sprung 6 puck driven disk . It‘s rated to hold 395 ft lbs of TQ . The other clutch which was one Ron mentioned to me was the Competition Clutch stage 2. for around $80 more than the ST200. I just looked up a factory flywheel as well
In short Xclutch has been unable to supply over a dozen stage 1a kits since February and still can't provide an ETA
They changed the pressure plate from billet to standard stamped style to reduce costs for Xclutch , not the dealer or consumer while also reducing the TQ rating to a mere 330ft/lbs which is not acceptable
Our new option RTS is a solid choice from Europe and has been used in many street and racing applications
They actually private label all their parts so if you see UK tuning companies with their own brand clutch, 99% chance it's from RTS
The RTS kit holds near 400ft'lbs which is more than any Fiesta owner needs and would be a lot less in cost than the Xclutch option if not for the importing costs
But it's still in the same price range and has 70ft/lbs of capcity over the xclutch which makes it worth the cost and it's availble
let me know if anyone has questions
most of my Xclutch customers have switched to the RTS so you'll see them popping up very soon (y)

Lays

In short Xclutch has been unable to supply over a dozen stage 1a kits since February and still can't provide an ETA
They changed the pressure plate from billet to standard stamped style to reduce costs for Xclutch , not the dealer or consumer while also reducing the TQ rating to a mere 330ft/lbs which is not acceptable
Our new option RTS is a solid choice from Europe and has been used in many street and racing applications
They actually private label all their parts so if you see UK tuning companies with their own brand clutch, 99% chance it's from RTS
The RTS kit holds near 400ft'lbs which is more than any Fiesta owner needs and would be a lot less in cost than the Xclutch option if not for the importing costs
But it's still in the same price range and has 70ft/lbs of capcity over the xclutch which makes it worth the cost and it's availble
let me know if anyone has questions
most of my Xclutch customers have switched to the RTS so you'll see them popping up very soon (y)
Appreciate you lookin out for all of us like that!

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Why not just get an American company to build the clutch you need? Anyone but Competition Clutch.
I used to buy ClutchNet clutches all the time. Their factory was near my house here in Los Angeles.

Update: apparently ClutchNet closed down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The ST200 was basically our HP with the overboost. Yet they got a stronger clutch and we still had the ST180 clutch.
Sorry to necropost but just to clarify something here: the European ST180 and the US market car have the same drivetrain and same output, Ford just couldn't advertise the overboost hp due to laws over there. The ST200 had a 'base' power of 197 hp and overboost figure of 212 or so.

Discovered this thread while doing research into clutch and flywheel options as I want to get rid of rev hang and also plan to go to the S280 soon. The RTS kit with the sprung clutch seems like it'll maintain good street manners while also providing a performance upgrade.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I used to buy ClutchNet clutches all the time. Their factory was near my house here in Los Angeles.

Update: apparently ClutchNet closed down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a shame! They built me a clutch for my '73 rally Corolla to my specs. They were very reasonably priced too.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Sorry to necropost but just to clarify something here: the European ST180 and the US market car have the same drivetrain and same output, Ford just couldn't advertise the overboost hp due to laws over there. The ST200 had a 'base' power of 197 hp and overboost figure of 212 or so.

Discovered this thread while doing research into clutch and flywheel options as I want to get rid of rev hang and also plan to go to the S280 soon. The RTS kit with the sprung clutch seems like it'll maintain good street manners while also providing a performance upgrade.
Really I have never seen that post the info it would be good for the site. We have just spoken second hand info it would be great to have accurate info besides us just saying it. I am all for being corrected with facts.

Dpro

6000 Post Club