Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stage 2 slower than stage 1?

I've got charge pipes waiting to be installed as soon as I finally get an intercooler. It was suggested to me by reputable sources that I may experience the car being slightly slower on the bottom end of the powerband due to the larger volume of air flowing through the aftermarket parts, once installed.

Has anyone experienced this phenomenon?

Does a stage 2 tune employ any strategies to offset such a phenomenon?

Apologies if this issue has been covered previously; a cursory search yielded little.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^This is the cause of my hesitation about going right to the DHM Race IC while keeping a factory turbo, IF it is in fact, FACT, and based on conclusive evidence at all? [???:)]

It seems that no one can answer this definitively, one way or the other. [:(]

I keep wondering if these miraculously efficient intercoolers that we keep seeing are caused by adiabatic cooling:
Adiabatic cooling is the process of reducing heat through a change in air pressure caused by volume expansion.
So, perhaps the post-intercooler charge temps we see are the result of the expansion of the air into the larger in volume aftermarket intercooler. Even if adiabatic cooling is the cause the air is cooler for sure, so there is that benefit, but throttle response probably decreases. I bet the tunes make up for that with DBW throttle curve trickery, in part.

I didn't realize the aftermarket charge pipes were bigger.

I keep wondering if these miraculously efficient intercoolers that we keep seeing are caused by adiabatic cooling:

So, perhaps the post-intercooler charge temps we see are the result of the expansion of the air into the larger in volume aftermarket intercooler. Even if adiabatic cooling is the cause the air is cooler for sure, so there is that benefit, but throttle response probably decreases. I bet the tunes make up for that with DBW throttle curve trickery, in part.

I didn't realize the aftermarket charge pipes were bigger.
I have the DHM race intercooler and when I went stage 2 it was faster than stage one for sure (stock pipes). However once I went to stage 3 with a catless 3" dp on factory catback the car felt slower than stage 2. I think the dp moves the power band so low that it's not really a great improvement. I'm not to worried because I'm getting a bigger turbo and pro tune but, it was kinda disappointing.

If I wanted only stage 3 and did it over again I would keep the factory DP, get a catback and a pro-tune instead of doing a dp, catback and OTS maps. If they make a 2.5" dp it would probably be even better.