Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stage 2, slower?

DAW

Well, went from stock to Hard pipes hot,cold, map intercooler, ts bov, symposer delete, mishimoto intake. Car feels slower then stock after loading the Cobb stg 2 Ots, sounds cool though but what the eff?

wetwea33

Well, went from stock to Hard pipes hot,cold, map intercooler, ts bov, symposer delete, mishimoto intake. Car feels slower then stock after loading the Cobb stg 2 Ots, sounds cool though but what the eff?
You have a boost leak somewhere. Should feel a good bit torquier although these cars are slow on the stock turbo no matter what. Chdck ur pipings. Also just run the stage 3. I ran the stage 3 stock for a couple thousand miles when I first got the car. Only bolt on that matters is an intercooler.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
DAW

DAW

Thread Starter #4
Ok, I’ll look all that over.

I went with Dizzy stage 2 Flash tune and just got an email from Jason that my car is running gr8.I only have 7k on my 19.

OP
DAW

DAW

Thread Starter #6
I went with Dizzy stage 2 Flash tune and just got an email from Jason that my car is running gr8.I only have 7k on my 19.
I though I didn’t drive much, just hit 12k on my 19. Had it a year now(bought new) what do you think of the tune?

Oh i only did some crazy driving cuz i had to data log.And i am done for a while lol.I have to behave as i drive for UPS and cannot afford to loose my License.I only do spirited driving on open roads.And thx

Agree with the boost leak, I recently went CPE IC and mishi charge pipes and when I changed my oil I noticed the line that plugs to the cold charge pipe was disconnected, I also flashed Cobb Stage 2 and I felt no difference from stage 1. Pulled the trigger on Dizzy stage 2 and that really really woke the car up, nothing but tire spin in 2nd gear lol

You did all of those upgrades at once?

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/d0NnEG1WnnXqg/giphy.gif

As far as feeling slow you might have just introduced a little turbo lag vs there being a leak somewhere. I noticed a lag, which felt slower in normal driving, after installing a new hotside. The new hot/cold charge pipes and intercooler you installed would all have a larger internal volume and add some latency to throttle response. Once at boost they're all more efficient, but on the stock turbo it is just a bit more space to bring to boost.

OP
DAW

DAW

Thread Starter #12
Agree with the boost leak, I recently went CPE IC and mishi charge pipes and when I changed my oil I noticed the line that plugs to the cold charge pipe was disconnected, I also flashed Cobb Stage 2 and I felt no difference from stage 1. Pulled the trigger on Dizzy stage 2 and that really really woke the car up, nothing but tire spin in 2nd gear lol
Yeah I’m not getting tire spin at all, am I supposed to feel a dramatic increase from stock? It seems like mid range picked up a little more but it just isn’t what all the reviews say. The accessport would be the easiest start right, what’s the boost suppost to be?

OP
DAW

DAW

Thread Starter #13

As far as feeling slow you might have just introduced a little turbo lag vs there being a leak somewhere. I noticed a lag, which felt slower in normal driving, after installing a new hotside. The new hot/cold charge pipes and intercooler you installed would all have a larger internal volume and add some latency to throttle response. Once at boost they're all more efficient, but on the stock turbo it is just a bit more space to bring to boost.
All last sat yeah.

Yeah I’m not getting tire spin at all, am I supposed to feel a dramatic increase from stock? It seems like mid range picked up a little more but it just isn’t what all the reviews say. The accessport would be the easiest start right, what’s the boost suppost to be?
When I went cobb stage 1 I did notice more wheel spin and definitely more power up top, when I went stage 2 it seemed it was about the same, boost pressure on stage 2 max I’ve seen was about 20.8, hot days I would see 19.8-20. I went dizzy stage tune and for the price it’s well worth it, best $75 I’ve spent lol. Now I see psi of 25+

wetwea33

Yeah thats in your head your not going to feel lag from that stuff as it's on the coldside of the turbo anyhow and boost is static. You can see small drops in boost but all of the stock fitment intercoolers on this car are tiny compared to other cars. Sounds like he has a boost leak.

The
Yeah thats in your head your not going to feel lag from that stuff as it's on the coldside of the turbo anyhow and boost is static. You can see small drops in boost but all of the stock fitment intercoolers on this car are tiny compared to other cars. Sounds like he has a boost leak.

Luckily, I can say its not in my head. I had logs both before and after hotside and coldside upgrades. Boost builds slower (because volume increases when pipes increase in ID) in relation to WOT however the efficiencies were increased. Essentially lower throttle response through lag but more efficiency and power once built.

It is possible there is a leak as you suggested but considering his build plan and implementation I would likely believe he installed with the same preparedness making a leak seem less likely.

Last edited:
OP
DAW

DAW

Thread Starter #18
The

Luckily, I can say its not in my head. I had logs both before and after hotside and coldside upgrades. Boost builds slower (because volume increases when pipes increase in ID) in relation to WOT however the efficiencies were increased. Essentially lower throttle response through lag but more efficiency and power once built.

It is possible there is a leak as you suggested but considering his build plan and implementation I would likely believe he installed with the same preparedness making a leak seem less likely.
Heck yah I prepared! I’m not new to missing cars, just this platform so that’s why I asked the original question. 37 years young 🤗

Heck yah I prepared! I’m not new to missing cars, just this platform so that’s why I asked the original question. 37 years young 🤗
That's what I was thinking. Your build pattern was aggressive but planned so figured this wasn't your first rodeo. A lot of the mods you did in one major offensive are done by folks with/after they upgrade their turbo (retroactive vs proactive) so the lag (if that's what it is) you're seeing isn't experienced by many folks. When I upgraded my hotside I lost about 10 ft-lbs of estimated torque. I was consistently low 290 ft-lbs and dropped into the high 270s. Since most of the torque is made down low this was an easy metric correlated to the delayed throttle response. My boost pressures did appear to smooth (observed not measured) out though post-upgrade (the more power thing in my previous thread). Once on boost I would see a smooth and consistent 25-26 where previously the boost had a more jagged 24-to-26 pattern.

Last edited:
Also, in following up on the volumes of the pipe. Approximations, but you'll get the idea.

Saying the OEM hotside charge pipe has a diameter of 1.5" and a length of 36" it's internal volume is 63.62^3". This is an approximation as we know the hotside starts small and grows in diameter as well as not exactly being three feet.
Using the same generalization, if an aftermarket hotside has a diameter of 2.5" with the same length of 36" it's internal volume would be 176.71^3". That is a volume increase of 278%.

When considering we've got almost x3 the amount of space to bring to boost, in just the hotside, it makes sense that it would take a touch longer for the stock turbo to bring everything all the way up.

Last edited: