Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Starting to mod looking for opinions

The time has come for me to start modding the fiesta. I have an idea of what I want to do but would like to get some opinions on a few things.
So I definitely plan on getting an intercooler, cobb ap, and gfb dv+. Now here is where I need help. I planned on getting the cobb stage 1 kit to get the filter and rmm but also thought about doin a cai. With a tune Will i see much difference in power between the drop in filter and cai? I also thought about doing a catted downpipe and res delete for a little sound but have read the turbo is the restricting point not the downpipe. So is there other mods I can do to yield a gain in power instead of the dp? Charge pipes? Boost hoses? Basically looking to get the best bang for my buck. Everything will be tuned after install
Thanks

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Everything I've read points towards the tune, intercooler, and and turbo having the best bang for buck. Intercoolers don't really net you more HP, but help retain HP by keeping your charge temps lower for longer. I'm not even going to consider an intake upgrade until I upgrade the turbocharger.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
I may be wrong, but I don't believe that CAIs make much of a difference over the drop in filters. What you can do is get the ST200 airbox and hose, or something like the Mountune Air Intake kit, which routes an extra hose right behind the fog light for extra cold air. Besides that, unless you intend on changing everything (induction hose, cross over pipe, turbo inlet, etc.) induction mods aren't that great on their own. Pipes and hoses should also be fine on the stock turbo, just be sure to tighten them up occasionally. Downpipe may help, but stock one is pretty decent tbh. I would go for a RMM, drop in filter, catback (strictly for better sound), intercooler, then a flash tune (E30 & 93). After that, you can go for a bigger turbo and try aux fuel if you're interested. Otherwise, you're maxing out the stock turbo at around 230 hp. If you want, an Oil Catch Can might be a wise investment too.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I'm not sold on catch cans. I never ran one before, don't plan on one now. If clean valves are such a concern I'd rather add port injectors or meth.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
I'm not sold on catch cans. I never ran one before, don't plan on one now. If clean valves are such a concern I'd rather add port injectors or meth.
Well yeah if you're interested in pursuing that route in your modding world that's fine. But I don't. The fact that they do in fact catch oil is proof that they at least work... Whether or not that oil going into you cylinders actually matters is a different story.

Erick_V

RMM, intercooler, drop-in filter, oil catch can, plugs and a good tune (e30 if you have access to corn) will get you to 80%-90% of what the stock turbo can do. The catch can and rmm are worth while mods to do. Everything else is lipstick on a pig unless you plan on upgrading the turbo. Even with all of my mods I'm willing to bet I'm hardly faster than a car with the mods I recommended above

OP
G
Thread Starter #7
What rmm would you guys reccomend. I was just going to get the cobb one with the kit but have heard it can become "soft" after a short time. Definitely gonna do an e30 and 93 tune. Looking at stratified currently. If I did go with st200 airbox or the mountune would it benefit from the vellosa tech big mouth intake?

Spork1569

The cheapest path if you're planning on staying stock turbo is upgraded Intercooler, E30 tune and maybe the upgraded DV(some say stock can hold stock turbo levels fine)

Everything else is for sound and very little gain in comparison to all that. I have the intake upgraded from the ST200 box app the way to the turbo inlet and the only part that makes a large difference(according to Dizzy's intake Dyno tests) is the crossover pipe if you're adamant about upgrading the intake. If you plan on upgrading to a hybrid or big turbo some day an intake can help get a little more power out of those.

Change oil on the reg with good stuff and donā€™t drive like a granny= eff catch cans

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
What rmm would you guys reccomend. I was just going to get the cobb one with the kit but have heard it can become "soft" after a short time. Definitely gonna do an e30 and 93 tune. Looking at stratified currently. If I did go with st200 airbox or the mountune would it benefit from the vellosa tech big mouth intake?
I highly recommend the Whoosh Street Spec RMM. The Big Mouth wouldn't affect those intakes specifically, but it might affect the stock intake. With the MT or ST200 it's honestly not worth the money imo since the stock intake hose can only move so much air. But it certainly won't hurt! Plus it adds a bit of style if you like that look.

Last edited:
everyone has different definitions of what soft actually is. I went from an AWR 70a durometer rmm to a cobb rmm and while the AWR mount made shifting nice and wheel hop decrease, the vibrations were too much for me. The cobb is a nice middle ground and almost feels like stock with some of the shifting/wheel hop benefits. Go with your gut, you usually know what you like and wont like.

OP
G
Thread Starter #13
everyone has different definitions of what soft actually is. I went from an AWR 70a durometer rmm to a cobb rmm and while the AWR mount made shifting nice and wheel hop decrease, the vibrations were too much for me. The cobb is a nice middle ground and almost feels like stock with some of the shifting/wheel hop benefits. Go with your gut, you usually know what you like and wont like.
How long have you had the cobb rmm in? I dont mind the Increased nvh. I had derlin mounts in my gti and even those were not too bad. My biggest concern with the cobb is that after awhile it will just be like the stock mount and I'll be replacing it again.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
How long have you had the cobb rmm in? I dont mind the Increased nvh. I had derlin mounts in my gti and even those were not too bad. My biggest concern with the cobb is that after awhile it will just be like the stock mount and I'll be replacing it again.
went from AWR to cobb, about 16k on the cobb and it still feels great. Ever so slightly vibe-y, but not enough to be disruptive. Manages wheel hop and whatnot very well without rattling the car to bits. The AWR vibrated so much the little plastic plugs in the interior door handles fell out lol

i had my awr on for about a year, and my cobb on for 4 months or so? still feels good imo. i like a more subtle ride as far as vibrations go, plus its not like the fiesta is a luxury car so nonetheless its gonna rattle and squeak in certain areas. but there are also these "powerflex" motor mount inserts for our passenger/driver side engine mounts that i was thinking about putting in that will help shifting feel + wheel hop so it will probably up the vibrations slightly. if i were to do the powerflex + awr mount it would probably be too much to handle so those with the cobb might be the golden ticket.