Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Startup Clunk

My 2015 has always had a rumbly, clunk on starting the engine. I always put this down to the stock RMM. I have recently put on a Whoosh RMM, and now it;s a really sharp violent clunk. Is this normal, or is there something else I should be looking at?

Erick_V

The bolt for your passenger motor mount may have snapped. whoosh sells just the bolt but you could also throw an insert in there as well

OP
Olephart
Thread Starter #4
So, I can rock the motor about 1/4 inch and hear a slight squeaky noise from the mount.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Check to see if the all the bolts/nuts are loose. It could be a simple thing as tightening them. Don’t be an old fart, put a wrench to it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone

OP
Olephart
Thread Starter #7
All nuts/bolts are tight. Had a real problem though when I tripped over my walker and my false teeth dropped into the engine bay. Any other ideas from anybody before I go ahead and replace this and it doesn't cure it?

Erick_V

Did you check the passenger mount/bolt? The bolt from whoosh is $14.25 to your door with the forum discount. It's not hard to remove the mount itself. You need a jack, impact (or ratchet), and a box wrench and the mount and the bolt is out. If the bolt snapped you replace it and move forward if not its preventative maintenance for cheap. The coolant tank needs to be removed or moved out of the way, I did the latter

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

Erick_V

I've been wanting the trans insert for my car to complete the set (Cobb RMM, Power Flex PMM insert). I may end up impulsively buying it Friday depending on what my check looks like. If I do buy it I'll do a write up. I couldn't find a thread on it

Erick_V

Has anyone done a write up/DIY on the Passenger side motor mount & Transmission mount?
Maybe I misinterpreted what you asked? If you were installing an aftermarket unit you would follow those steps to remove the OEM mount, minus removing the bolt from the OEM mount. Then it would be a reverse of what you had done

I might just have to buy the Vibra technic mounts soon...
Looking forward to what you think of these. Had stiffer mounts on other cars but have stuck to the Cobb RMM (very tame) and the Powerflex insert for my PMM. Having a fully mounted car feels great, if it works for your setup (Garret 28xx) I can only imagine what it would do for a stock turbo car.

OP
Olephart
Thread Starter #15
So, I installed a new passenger side motor mount, and the startup thump is 50% better, but still there. But the mount was completely shot after 4/5 years (mine's a 2015) -I could move the old one around 1" in any direction. It feels better, and has made shifting gears a bit better too. I guess I should consider the driver's side gearbox mount as the source of the start up thump, but it's not so bad now that it worries me, so let ir be..

A note on installation is that when I jacked up the engine under the oil pan to just support it, the old mount had sagged so much, I had to jack the motor up at least 1" from just supporting it to be able to remove the old mount

Last edited:

green_henry

1000 Post Club
That really is just the install of the Bolt and mount for the Passenger side ....Not Trans. mount also. Looks like someone or maybe me will do a step by step for the Transmission mount for The community. Looks like ill be buying mounts soon.....just have to decide which ones....just hit 60k today. Yay!
The trans mount itself is very straight forward -- getting to it is a PITA because it sits underneath the battery box. Getting the battery box out is at least 50% of the effort; it's not difficult, it's just more work than you'd expect haha. After that, it's easy.