Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Steering concerns

So, my '17 has slowly started to develop an odd quirk with the steering. The wheel loses it's center. Straight ahead on the wheel will have the car track left or right. It can be quickly sorted out by a quick jerk of the wheel in the opposite direction, but it will return eventually. It also makes a clunking sound when autocrossing it.

I have not been able to isolate where the noise is coming from, and it is getting slowly worse over time. I am not seeing any play in the outer or inner tie rods, ball joints, strut bushings, or wheel bearings. The front suspension subframe is tight and is not shifting around. I did find loose motor mount bolts on the transmission side, but tightening them did not resolve this issue.

I'm concerned it might be the rack shifting due to bushing wear from high load conditions that occur when autocrossing the car. I have seen other threads about the rack bolts coming loose, and I will be inspecting that the next time I have the car on a lift, but from what I had seen, no one had reported these exact symptoms, so I'm not sure that the rack bolts/bushings are the issue.

Has anyone else have this occur?

I think you may be on to something with the rack bushings. Maybe time to upgrade, especially if you autocross often.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Check your lower strut bolts. It kinda sounds like the strut/upright interface is goofy.

Had this happen on a vintage Mustang I used to own. It was literally a loose nut that holds the center of the steering wheel down.

I have not investigated what we've got on our FiSTs in there but there ought to be a bolt/fitting involved.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I had similar issues and it turned out to be loose rack bushing bolts.
After tightening the bolts all problems went away.
My suggestion id simple, check the rack bolts before spending any extra money.

OP
H
Thread Starter #9
I had similar issues and it turned out to be loose rack bushing bolts.
After tightening the bolts all problems went away.
My suggestion id simple, check the rack bolts before spending any extra money.
Can these bolts be accessed with the subframe still in the car?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Find a local old school Frame and alignment shop in your area that does shit with no computers and have them check it out! Its what I'd do!

OP
H
Thread Starter #13
Not yet, been a bit too busy to deal with the issue at the moment.