Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stereo won't turn on...

cxwrench

'14, all stock stereo/nav. Screen comes on, I can get to settings and back to home. Neither the power button on nor the button on the screen will turn on the stereo. Push the button on the steering wheel, no response. Phone shows being connected. Any ideas?

OP
cxwrench

cxwrench

Thread Starter #3
Seems fine, it's the original. Car has almost 40,000mi. Starts right up every time.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'd still check the battery. If it's the original, it might be getting tired. Sure, it starts, but that doesn't mean it's 100%.

A lot of people report electronic bugs that clear up with a fresh battery. I'm not saying that's what it is, but it's the first thing I'd check.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have a stock battery I'll sell ya....its in my basement if you wanna keep it OE. Hehe

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Pull the fuse, I can't remember which one it is exactly, but I've had this happen more than once. Pull the fuse out for a few seconds then put it back in.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
This happened to me. I couldn't get the radio on at all. I turned off the car, came back a half-hour later and it was fine. Never had the issue again.

OP
cxwrench

cxwrench

Thread Starter #9
I'll pull the fuse first thing tomorrow. I should probably just get a new battery since this one is over 5 years old.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Make sure the USB ports are empty. If you can get to settings, also turn of BlueTooth. It's probably waiting on a device or there's some data it's trying to retrieve that is hanging it up.

This happened to me. I couldn't get the radio on at all. I turned off the car, came back a half-hour later and it was fine. Never had the issue again.
It takes awhile for the radio to really turn off.

Erick_V

Sounds like you have the same issue as I do. It only happens to me a couple times a month where the unit itself turns on but you can't get into audio. It says its loading for the duration of the ride unless I turn the car off, open the door (to fully shut down the unit) and turn the car back on. I can get into every menu except audio. I've never thought anything of it till now

Intuit

3000 Post Club
@Erick_V - I saw that when I had a failing HDD plugged in. (I have a small stockpile of HDDs with bad sectors so I'll partition off the bad sectors then recycle them for use in the car.) In the HDD's final days, the radio would just give up on it and automatically flip over to AM radio. That only started to happen when the drive controller started disconnecting itself from the system. Drives with bad sectors typically just make whatever connected device wait, and wait, and keep waiting.. while feeding small bursts of data. It also started posting messages about having an "unsupported device" attached though I think that it was merely looking at one of the non-standard or unformatted partitions.

Flash drives are subject to failure also, but needless to say are much more robust. But if you use an HDD in a car, side-mounting them will help them last longer. (don't lay flat) Besides the constant vibrations, I think it's the extreme temperatures (cold and hot) that negatively impact life spans. Looking at the SMART logs the drive saw temperatures in excess of 150Ā°F inside that console.

OP
cxwrench

cxwrench

Thread Starter #13
I'd still check the battery. If it's the original, it might be getting tired. Sure, it starts, but that doesn't mean it's 100%.

A lot of people report electronic bugs that clear up with a fresh battery. I'm not saying that's what it is, but it's the first thing I'd check.
You are correct. Tried to start it this morning and it was dead...click click click. Charged it, car started right up and the stereo came on. Time to go buy a new battery. Thanks for the help.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Took my car into the shop for leaky trans seals. They said my battery was not optimal but I turned down the service. Now my radio won't work.

Coincidence??

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Took my car into the shop for leaky trans seals. They said my battery was not optimal but I turned down the service. Now my radio won't work.

Coincidence??

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Go get your battery tested at any local parts store for FREE and if it says time to replace....get a new one.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk