Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock FiST? Start with a diff!

I’ve had my ‘16 FiST over a year and have had a Quaife LSD in it since July. No question, anyone buying a stock FiST who wants to get the most out of their car should first add a diff (ok, and an rmm). Wait on the intercooler, the tunes, the big turbos, the coilovers - put a diff in it and get to know the car the way it should have come from the factory, able to use all its OE power coming out of corners. Add whatever else you want after, but start with a diff.

And how much does a LSD cost to get installed, all things considered? I'm not saying it's not worthwhile, but it's probably a big investment right off the bat.

OP
Peter H
Thread Starter #3
Just under $3k for parts and labor. I know it seems counter intuitive to start with a big ticket item like that, but, purely from a performance standpoint, it gives you the best perspective on what other mods you really need by giving you a better baseline.

For example, should I have really sprung for an intercooler and stage 2 tune when I was getting wheel spin stock? Who knows, I may have decided that by virtually eliminating wheel spin and much of the torque steer I was happy with the stock tune, saving me up to $1000. Not saying I wouldn't have eventually ended up with a tune, but I would have been in a better place to make the next decisions.

The LSD would be my first upgrade if someone told me this install eliminates the clanking while shifting.

Can anyone answer that question? Does installing a LSD eliminate the clanking while engaging/disengaging the clutch pedal?

Erick_V

I honestly wish I had gotten the LSD and not all my other bolt-ons other than the IC and AP. I'm on the stock turbo and e30 and even with stock turbo power levels I have to wait so long to get back on power on corner exit or it'll push. I was on such a good track till I wanted more power lol. I had done mounts, bracing, coilovers, wheels and tires in that order then I was itching for more power

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
PSA: Mitch from CP-E will do the install on a removed gearbox for $300.

If I could find a low mileage gearbox for less than $750 somewhere close to me I'd have it and the MFactory LSD that's scheduled to be on my doorstep to Mitch in a heartbeat.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
PSA: Mitch from CP-E will do the install on a removed gearbox for $300.

If I could find a low mileage gearbox for less than $750 somewhere close to me I'd have it and the MFactory LSD that's scheduled to be on my doorstep to Mitch in a heartbeat.
Does anyone know what he would charge for an in-car transaxle install??
(I would also have to add the cost of at least a 2 night stay down in Marshall Tucker Band country as well, being how far away CP-E is now. [:(] )

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
(I would also have to add the cost of at least a 2 night stay down in Marshall Tucker Band country as well, being how far away CP-E is now. [:(] )
Mitch told me his rate is $110/hr, which I think is very fair. Maybe someone knows the book time for a gearbox swap?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
What if you don't track the car? I understand it's beneficial but would it really be worth it to somebody that will never run it on a track. All I want is just a little bit more passing power.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I keep hearing different sides of this argument. I can link back to posts saying to not bother unless you track heavily, I would imagine, and/or autocross heavily, too. I don't even hit the twisties heavily. With the car sharing twisty time with the motorcycle.

Some say mountain/canyon roads - not so much. Just sticky tires, the wider the better and modulate throttle.

A year plus away, will research more.

If I tracked the car heavily I might be interested, but for a daily driver I can't imagine spending ~$3k on one just for the street.

I’ve had my ‘16 FiST over a year and have had a Quaife LSD in it since July. No question, anyone buying a stock FiST who wants to get the most out of their car should first add a diff (ok, and an rmm). Wait on the intercooler, the tunes, the big turbos, the coilovers - put a diff in it and get to know the car the way it should have come from the factory, able to use all its OE power coming out of corners. Add whatever else you want after, but start with a diff.
It’s just too bad that Ford didn’t make it a factory option at least. Pretty sure they could have charged $1500 and still make money on it.

My neck of the woods, happy to grab a beer with forum members visiting CP-E

Mitch told me his rate is $110/hr, which I think is very fair. Maybe someone knows the book time for a gearbox swap?
$110 is very fair these days, I’d be curious to know the amount of time expected

EDIT: nevermind, I see someone posted 11hrs. That seems reasonable. I do most of my own work, but I have never felt up to messing with gears and diffs.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
$110 is very fair these days, I’d be curious to know the amount of time expected

EDIT: nevermind, I see someone posted 11hrs. That seems reasonable. I do most of my own work, but I have never felt up to messing with gears and diffs.
Mitch quoted around $300 to do the swap on a removed gearbox at $110/hr. I don't know how many hours he'd quote to remove and reinstall the gearbox. And, yes, $110/hr for someone like Mitch is super reasonable.

I work at a Ford dealership, I would do these all day long at 11 hours if anyone is interested in bringing it to me. I would have to tackle it on a Saturday but I would have it in the car in one day. Just drop the car off to me the night before. I'd do it for $80 an hour. (y)

I work at a Ford dealership, I would do these all day long at 11 hours if anyone is interested in bringing it to me. I would have to tackle it on a Saturday but I would have it in the car in one day. Just drop the car off to me the night before. I'd do it for $80 an hour. (y)
Where you at?