Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock intake with Big Turbo

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Who here is running a stock intake on their big turbo setup? I've seen that our intakes are supposedly rated to 350+ HP, but I've heard concerns of the stock intake hose collapsing on bigger turbo setups.

I've gone back and forth between stock and the map intake. With a gtx2860, theres not a difference I can see on v dyno. I have a couple 2" holes drilled in the stock box though.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I ran the stock box on my car until a few months before my engine build. When I installed it, I did back to back logs. There was no difference. I bought it for the built engine, but decided I'd test it out. That data is somewhere on this forum. [MENTION=2886]FearTheSnail[/MENTION] ran 11.9 on the stock box.

Some Guy On The Internet

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Stock box, meaning the tube was modified? Or a high flow silicone maybe?

-Matt

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Turns out that I did not recall correctly. Forget everything I said about Fear on the stock box lol.

Some Guy On The Internet

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
I've heard that boost generally has increased with an intake. If the flow isn't better, I wonder why the boost pressure increases, even if it is slightly.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Boost pressure increases as it CAN flow more air.

Same thing happens with my supercharged 4Runner - it ends up sucking through a straw with my snorkel so I opened up the intake with a marine application Deck Plate (6"). When closed I max out at 7 psi or so, with it off, 8.5psi.

It would seem that the stock box is fine for a 'stage 3' car (I hate stages...) but if you go with a bigger turbo then it can become a bottleneck of sorts. Albeit, not a huge restriction.

I think a well made and well engineered airbox is the only upgrade - an Injen style intake (and I only pick on them as it was the first to come to mind) doesn't offer any performance gains at all.