Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock turbo waste-gate upgrade finally a real world comparison “finished 11/3”

Early 7psi wastegate data, this is for all the owners who have thought about if the wastegate is worth it. This is not apples to apples because the blue line it’s a final tune and red is a base map but the data is excellent
Red line is the base map from Brian Tyson the WGDC is rather low so we got some overhead and the blue line is right before install same day.
3300 pounds is from me and my brother in the car
We did get a revision last night but weather is terrible can’t do any logs so I’ll report back
I got even more interesting data

At 6600rpm on the 7psi wastegate he’s at 13.2 psi and 66 wgdc

On the stock wastegate he’s at 12.9psi and 77 wgdc

And he’s still making more power
Airflow mass lb/min on stock is 20.54 at 6600
On the 7psi wastegate is 21.3

So it’s going to get really interesting, probably 10whp across the whole curve and a nice gain in tq for 138 bucks

Attachments

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Not bad at all for those never planning on upgrading the factory snail.

But, does the turbo have to come out of the car (and does the heat shield have to be scrapped) in order to install this? [dunno]

Not bad at all for those never planning on upgrading the factory snail.

But, does the turbo have to come out of the car (and does the heat shield have to be scrapped) in order to install this? [dunno]
Turbo does not have to come out, I'm not sure about the heat shield. I believe you just have to remove the charge pipe. There are a couple videos of people doing the wastegate installs on youtube

OP
Gogoggansgo
Thread Starter #7
Turbo does not have to come out, I'm not sure about the heat shield. I believe you just have to remove the charge pipe. There are a couple videos of people doing the wastegate installs on youtube
we just took it to Sam Lee at BTR, pre load has to be spot on or you’re going to have a bad time

OP
Gogoggansgo
Thread Starter #10
Here we have revision number 3 and it’s not even close up top one graph is 93 and other is e30. I’m shocked we hit 240whp on e30, but it’s pulling so damn hard it’s not even funny. We aren’t done yet we are at 24psi and at redline it’s up 2psi at 14.5

Attachments

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
So wastegate upgrade is a must to squeeze out more power out of the stock turbo now?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
So wastegate upgrade is a must to squeeze out more power out of the stock turbo now?
+1, and also; Does this mod add any more stress/heat yet to the already over-stressed factory snail when on a tune??

Or is it a matter of just extracting the very last available pony out of the stocker, without any significantly destructive longevity factors? [dunno]

Erick_V

Jason told me the extra heat generated by pushing the turbo harder was the reason he bumps up the mixture to E40 vs a traditional E30 tune. I’m not too worried about the longevity of the turbo. I’ve been peaking 27psi for 4+ years lol. The WGA is the last real bolt on I have left

OP
Gogoggansgo
Thread Starter #15
Jason told me the extra heat generated by pushing the turbo harder was the reason he bumps up the mixture to E40 vs a traditional E30 tune. I’m not too worried about the longevity of the turbo. I’ve been peaking 27psi for 4+ years lol. The WGA is the last real bolt on I have left
Agreed and i got a brand new stock turbo up stairs lol also the gains have been insane up top

OP
Gogoggansgo
Thread Starter #16
Here is where we stand on the 4th revision
93 is the first log that’s today vs stock wastegate last week
E30 is next
Then the redline change which is huge

Attachments

OP
Gogoggansgo
Thread Starter #17
+1, and also; Does this mod add any more stress/heat yet to the already over-stressed factory snail when on a tune??

Or is it a matter of just extracting the very last available pony out of the stocker, without any significantly destructive longevity factors? [dunno]
here is the rub, you’re not going to get 10psi extra out of this mod. What it really does is push the powerband out about 1000rpm which is great seriously and with no low end power loss. The few extra psi you do get i wouldn’t really worry about you’re not over spinning it like a lot do the focus st guys do when they put an 11psi wastegate on the k03 that turbo absolutely chokes up

OP
Gogoggansgo
Thread Starter #18
Here is the final revision this is e30 and Brian is definitely getting more power out of this setup, and yes I’ve seen 27psi once on the 93 map slot but on corn he’s being conservative. Regardless the wastegate is making more boost up top and a lot more power
Blueline is 7psi wastegate

Attachments

Erick_V

That’s some pretty good gains. I’ve had a TS 14psi WGA sitting on the shelf forever. I should install it since the FiST only gets driven on the weekends