Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Strange resonance noise. Please help!

DanFromCLE

Hey all, first post here, thanks for having me and thanks for looking... I need help. I just bought a 2016 Ford Fiesta ST last month, and I've been noticing a strange resonance noise. Sounds like blowing over the top of a half-filled beer bottle. Somewhat intermittent, sometimes it's louder, sometimes it quieter, but it's present about 75% of the time, and always only when I'm on the gas; goes away as soon as I come off the throttle. I found a good video in another thread on this site that highlights the exact sound that I'm hearing (but they didn't find a fix for it on the other thread). Some people on that site were saying that it's the sound symposer, but I bought the car with the symposer already having been deleted, and it was making the noise without the sympose; the dealership actually reintalled it to rule that out, before then proceeding to dump the case and call it normal noise. I showed it to my mechanic but he warned me that it make take a few tries to fix and it would cost me. I'm hoping maybe someone can identify what it is so I can tell my mechanic what look at first.

23 seconds in is where it first happens, then again at 36, and again at 54 seconds. A few other times at other points but not as loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfC9h-M4X-E&feature=youtu.be

So, what do you guys think? It's been driving me nuts, seeing as how I just spent 16 grand on this car, and the dealerships are telling me they either don't hear it, or that its normal. Any input would hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited:
My car made that noise and it was driving me nuts. I seem to recall it going away after switching to a turbosmart bov, but I can't promise that was the cure.

OP
D

DanFromCLE

Thread Starter #3
My car made that noise and it was driving me nuts. I seem to recall it going away after switching to a turbosmart bov, but I can't promise that was the cure.
I'll definitely look into that. Can I ask what other modifications you've done to it? Just wondering if there were any other mods that you did around that time that could've been the fix.. just looking to get all of my options in order. I'm really hoping I can get this fixed.

Last edited:
I'll definitely look into that. Can I ask what other modifications you've done to it? Just wondering if there were any other mods that you did around that time that could've been the fix.. just looking to get all of my options in order. I'm really hoping I can get this fixed.
I'm pretty much full bolt-ons at this point. Full intake, IC and pipes, turboback exhaust, etc. Tough I think that day all I changed were the IC pipes and turbosmart plumb back.