Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stratified Flash Tune Datalog Refinement

Last week I ordered an AP from Stratified with a flash tune and optional datalog refinement. My only engine mods are an Injen intake and exhaust. I'm running the 91 octane flash tune and everything seems to be great - very rarely do I get negative corrections, and sometimes see up to +3. So my question is should I use my datalog refinement now or wait until I get an intercooler upgrade? Has anyone seen performance increases after a refinement when having very few mods like my car? I am running 92 octane fuel on a 91 map so I do think it could be taken a little farther. Thanks.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
If you purchased what I think you did, you sent them a list of your car modifications and they made a quick tune for you. The refinement is designed so that they can do 1 pass of refinement based on that single tune. If you want to do more modifications, they will need to create a new tune for you, which is a different workload for them than a refinement.

Edit: Also, Welcome to the forum!

OP
J
Thread Starter #4
If you purchased what I think you did, you sent them a list of your car modifications and they made a quick tune for you. The refinement is designed so that they can do 1 pass of refinement based on that single tune. If you want to do more modifications, they will need to create a new tune for you, which is a different workload for them than a refinement.

Edit: Also, Welcome to the forum!
OK that answers my question. Thank you for the answer and thank you for the welcome!

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
No problem. Which side of the state are you at? The 92 on the coast seems to be better than the 92 on the east side. (Seattle gas is almost a 93, Spokane gas is almost a 91). As to your other question I do not recall anybody getting a refined log with the stock intercooler. The IC is pretty much the #1 or #2 limiting factor for how much a tuner can crank up the car (the other limit being air filter / intake) so I do not think a tuner would be willing to turn the dial much higher with it. Looking at your logs (like Stratified wants you to set them up) you can see knock count. 1 or 2 knocks are OK on a pull, much more and there is no room to work in (the tuner might even pull timing / boost even more for safety)

OP
J
Thread Starter #6
I'm on the coast, and I've heard that our 92 is "pretty much 93" but have no data to back that up and was unwilling to chance it and request a 93 tune. I'm going to do some logs today and see how the knock is.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
The Stratified folks are using gas from the same refineries you are, so they are well aware the quality of the 92 you are using. When I've tuned with them, I just left in the comments that I was using 92. It helps them setup the initial tune. With revisions, they don't really care what # you put on the gas, all they care about is what the engine is doing with whatever gas you are using and adjust up or down from there.